Is it okay to buy Acer 4520? In Siliguri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Acer 4520 has performed well in the market since it was released.

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.7GHz~1.9 Ghz, 1~2GB RAM, nVidia 610M , 7000M GFx.
160GB HDD, 8x DVD Burner (Dual Layer), Card Reader.
WiFi, Bluetooth, Infrared. Webcam. etcetera ...

We rarely get such a complete package in the Laptop market every now and then.

What I wanted to know is; at its current price, is it advisable to go for one? Is it too old? Any better options that are priced similar??

Yeah yeah, I know about Acer's reliability, this and that. But then again THIS model changed my mind. :neutral: Its soo nice...

My very good Friend needs it. And he asked me for advice as I am the geeky one among our friends. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Is Acer about to undergo a product refresh cycle? Is it the time to do so for any laptop company like HP, Dell, etc? Just wanted to know...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Also, WHERE can I buy this one in Siliguri? I need 2GB RAM in this. I know we cant choose the configuration; but there is the same model available for 2GB RAM.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ What is the price that you are going to pay for 4520??

It's a pretty good model for day-to-day life. not recommended at all for gaming.

if the price is inside 30k (with 2gig ram), it's a damn good deal

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

desiibond said:
^^ What is the price that you are going to pay for 4520??

It's a pretty good model for day-to-day life. not recommended at all for gaming.

if the price is inside 30k (with 2gig ram), it's a damn good deal
25k for 1GB Model as I have heard. That was sometime(1-2 months) ago. Maybe one can get 2GB one within 28k?

And I believe the Graphics Solution (nVidia 7000M) is much better than the only-for-Aero like GMA 950. I think its at par or just below desktop X3000 or laptop X3100.
Though yeah; gaming is not a priority @ this budget. :p

And yeah, no exact budget as such.. After he got into MBBS(me too :D ), nothing is tapped for him, at least for sometime to come. :D But that doesnt mean one'd be throwing money everywhere. People should buy what they need.

And I dont think my friend would want to afford more than what he is thinking of, currently. And I am really loving this one, I hope it turns out good for him and to me as well as I am the referrer. :D

bassam904 said:
Its a great lappy i to have the same
Oh! Just so that I can know its graphics potential, can you tell me which all games could you run in it and at what settings? :confused:
Any other thing you'd like to highlight to me about this model? :/
How much did you pay for it? Which OS? What is the Processor speed, RAM and hard disk?

Also the thing with this model is it has poor XP support. SOme users have no sound working, some no WiFi, some no Bluetooth and some no Camera on Windows XP.

While the laptop is manufactured by Acer; some models have one company parts; and some other. That is I guess the prime reason why some users are facing compatibility issues whereas others are not.

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
You can play games like farcry need for speed carbon most wanted splinter cell chaos theory and several other

You can play games like farcry need for speed carbon most wanted splinter cell chaos theory and several other there is no such thing as poor Xp support. It works perfectly with Xp.

Last edited:
OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

bassam904 said:
It works perfectly with Xp.

IronManForever said:
While the laptop is manufactured by Acer; some models have one company parts; and some other. That is I guess the prime reason why some users are facing compatibility issues whereas others are not.

The parts vary in same-model-different-lappies as I have read on forums. Even in My friends Dad's Laptop which is also 4520, Bluetooth does NOT work. :neutral:

BTW you did not reply these questions. :p
How much did you pay for it? Which OS? What is the Processor speed, RAM and hard disk?

Also I am adding a few.
1. Can you upgrade RAM while keeping the warranty? :confused:
2. When did you buy the lappy?

Last edited:

chinawall

Broken In
HI,

i am using acer 4520 since jan:D fantastic laptop. I am using winxp service pack 3 2gb ram(upgraded,warrenty wont void if u do from acer service station later also) i have no bluetooth issues. actually no problems whatsoever. i bought it for 34k now as u said 25k :) thats damn cheap for this model.

Go and get it!

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

^^ Oh. Thank you.
Can I ask you one thing, HOW did you upgrade the RAM? Did you make the Acer guys do it? OR did you do it yourself and void your warranty? :p

chinawall

Broken In
Went to acer service center and let them do the job:D btw dont forget to sale the RAMs to them only( u will have 2 512 RAMs) and then bargain on the price;) i think i paid 2500/- after selling my 2 sets of 512 RAMs

also get a (scratchguard)and laptop stand :) then even if u forgot to shut down it wont matter:D ( else sometimes the back gets very hot if u use for a longtime continiously eg in bed etc) laptopstand max rs400/- scrathguard around 500/600 (but its not the normal screenguard they will apply it )
get this things also ,u wont regret!

goodluck!

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

^^ Whoa, these OEMs loot people.. Rs 2500 for an extra 1 GB? :x
Which scratchguard are you talking about? For screen or whole laptop? Available through Acer or some 3rd party?
Also is the notebook stand you are talking about; easily available? :confused:

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

^^ Oh!. But will the add/replace the RAM on the base model the same day one drops into their center? I doubt it.. :neutral:
Besaue If I know right, we dont have a 2GB Model. :/ Anyways, Im bugging you guys a lot. Will contact Acer and check out.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
If you are still undecided I have three words for you "Go For It."

I have been using this laptop for almost a year. Its a great value proposition.We
Indians want a product to deliver everything and yet be cheap, 4520 is the answer. Total paisa vasool.

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

^^ Decided. Looking for replies from the sellers in siliguri. Sent them a mail enquiring about the stuff and availability, and of corse, price.

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
Even I am thinking of buying the Acer 4520 within 2-3 days...Can anyone tell me that will Vista run on it perfectly...And do we get genuine vista DVD with it??? Or does it come pre loaded with any OS?

I am also considering the Acer 4930....Does anyone have an idea how much will it cost?? Its specs r also gud...

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
No idea about the pricing of 4930 bro, since it uses more of Intel hardware you can expect it to be 15%-25% expensive then 4520. However I did check the specs of 4930, nothing much to write for. More here.

4520 comes pre-loaded with some useless Linux distro. Acer do bundle all the necessary drivers both for XP and Vista on the resource CD. If you a Linux enthusiast, latest Ubuntu release works effortlessly on this laptop.

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

Checked out 2 shops in Siliguri by e-mail. Not Available!!! Product discontinued.. :shock:
WTF? :x Doesnt anyone know where to get it in Siliguri??

uppalpakanj said:
Even I am thinking of buying the Acer 4520 within 2-3 days...Can anyone tell me that will Vista run on it perfectly...And do we get genuine vista DVD with it??? Or does it come pre loaded with any OS?
Yes. Vista runs PERFECTLY apart from the fact that 1GB RAM will be a too-less for Vista. 2GB RAM, and you are good to go. :)

4520 comes pre-loaded with some useless Linux distro. Acer do bundle all the necessary drivers both for XP and Vista on the resource CD. If you a Linux enthusiast, latest Ubuntu release works effortlessly on this laptop.
Why? Acer has a very nice bundle of Linpus Linux with the laptop. Though repositories are not as vast as Ubuntu; still its enough. And Ubuntu Release does NOT work flawlessly on it. There are minor issues. Neither does XP. Though Vista works VERY well in this. I mean no driver issues, etc. though, yeah 1 GB RAM will make it crawl. :(

Last edited:

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Why? Acer has a very nice bundle of Linpus Linux with the laptop. Though repositories are not as vast as Ubuntu; still its enough. And Ubuntu Release does NOT work flawlessly on it. There are minor issues. Neither does XP. Though Vista works VERY well in this. I mean no driver issues, etc. though, yeah 1 GB RAM will make it crawl. :(

XP never had problems on this laptop. Pop the XP CD - install, once you are ready with the XP desktop use the resource CD. It has seperate folder XP drivers viz. wifi, bluetooth, display, audio etc. No trouble.

Earlier versions of Ubuntu did few had few problems, all the Ubuntus released in 2008 install seamlessly. Support for Bluetooth, micro SD card , webcam, ethernet, audio is out of the box. For wireless you need to install ndiswrapper from repos and use XP drivers. Since display is from nVidia you would need to install restricted drivers from repo and Ubuntu will prompt you for that. In fact putting Ubuntu on this laptop is simpler than installing Windows!

Last edited:

aritrap

Mobile Addict
If u get the 4520 for Rs.25k then its a steal. Otherwise you could get the 4530. The advantage it offers is that it has nVidia 9100M graphics. I think it is priced at Rs.28k. Some person who had bought this laptop said that he had even managed to play Far Cry 2 on this. It has got a review in the TechEnclave forum. Ill try to post a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom