is it legal to backup our game or software cd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamyang312

Journeyman
hello!
I just wanted to know that I always make backup copies of my original games and cd's for security reasons but is it legal to do so.I feel as if i am becoming a pirate of some sort.Please tell me whether is it legal to make backup copies of my data,Mp3's,games etc?
thanks, :oops: :oops:

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
This is a touchy topic.Some say it is legal bcuz we have paid for the cd's therefore we can we can make copies for our personal use,while others vehemently oppose this.

i agree with the point that it should be legal bcuz as we have paid for the cd's we should be allowed to use them in whichever way we want.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
AS LONG AS u donot start distributing these copies u donot become a pirate so donot worry to make 2-3 copies tho ur EULA says no more than back up copy allowed..

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
As of my knowlegde one who buys the original copies of softwares just should not sell/rent to others....this becomes illegal...

if u just back up the copy in u r system...i think it is not illegal.

ishaan

Padawan
this is a very touchy subject

see ur allowed to make only ONE copy legally as backup of games, etc...but this copy is like 'bound' with the original...that is, if u sell the orig, ur not allowed to keep the copy...u ither hav to giv it with the orig, or destroy it

but heres the tricky thing...due to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, if the cd ur making a backup of has copyright protection, then by copying it ur actually breaking the protection, and hence this is illegal

so in d end, its only legal to make a backup of non copy protected discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom