Is it good to backup os partition & small system partition?

coldhart

Journeyman
1. im thinking about backup the small system partition, Windows 8.1 & win 7 (Both x64 os) but i heard that there are always issue even when hardware is not change after backup & restore os. which is better clean install or backup with utility like acronis true disk?

2. Which utility is better for such task macrium or acronis?

3. is it possible to backup system without installing these software(some boot disk) means when i restore system it won't restore installed utility (just activated OS with no extra apps)?

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
1... but i heard that there are always issue even when hardware is not change after backup & restore os. which is better clean install or backup with utility like acronis true disk?

The issue of activation ?

Clean Install ≠ Backup
Clean install will leave you free to restore selectively. Backup can be created at multiple levels. You can backup your entire hard drive and then dump the entire thing on a new drive, if that's what you are asking

3. is it possible to backup system without installing these software(some boot disk) means when i restore system it won't restore installed utility (just activated OS with no extra apps)?

Depends on the software. IMO, you cannot restore if you don't have the software installed in the first place. A simple workaround to this is to create a clone of your existing drive. A clone will be an exact copy of your drive(It'll be like playing the same mp3 on a different iPod)

Note: This is different from creating an image where you create an image at multiple points of time

That's all I know, but someone more experienced will give you a better answer

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
every image backup software has the option of a boot/rescue/restore disk using which system can be backed up as well as restored without ever installing the software.you can create this boot cd on some other system.all such backups rely on hardware being same(mainly processor,motherboard & graphics card as rest can be managed even if changed) but there are options to restore image to a completely different hardware but this option is available only in paid version of these software but for rest of the usual stuff free version will do the job like in case of paragon free.however clean install is recommended for such situation unless there is some very important reason for not doing it.macrium free in my opinion is better than acronis free version available for WD & seagate harddisks.also like you said there may be issues even if hardware remains same & that is why you must always check your created backup image by restoring it immediately after creating it to confirm everything is working fine.

Top Bottom