Is it a Power Supply Failure?

riders4siam

Broken In
Hello guys, my 1year n 1 month old HDD 2TB SATAIII Seagate started giving problem a few months back. Using 600W SMPS GSM PRO (got it from cost to cost) with 2 optical drive, Saphire ATI HD6850 graphics card, P5G41T-MLX with Core2Duo E7500, 2gb RAM x 2 corsair value ram and a 1TB SATAIII Hitachi (SYstem) + my 2TB SATA Seagate as second data storage. Here's my question. After giving me problems, i'm still using it as a second data storage about 4-5 months, i've come to know that the problem HDD is not with the HDD itself. While using an external power for the 2TB HDD, it works normal as it is (80-90mb/s) transfer rate but when connected with the SMPS, the HDD produce a short beep and then transfer rate draws down to 2-4mb/s like. Before replacing the SMPS, i want to be sure if this is a SMPS related issue or not. Any advice from the Master or experiences? Thanks in advance.

aloodum

Journeyman
GSM PRO? :p You should have gone for CDMA PRO :D Better bandwith re!!

Well a few things you can try out:

1. Use a different SATA power connector Connect ..
2. use a different SATA cable or/and a different SATA port
3. When connected externally check with the seatools utility to check for overall drive health.
4. Have you tried connecting your HDD in a friend's rig?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
HD6850 with a local 600W SPMS!forget about hdd consider yourself lucky that your graphics card is still running.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Get new PSU ASAP. It will solve your problem.
Some PSUs:
Corsair CX430V2 @2.4K
Seasonic SII 520 @4.2K
Corsair GS500 @3.8K
Corsair GS600 @4.6K

OP
riders4siam

riders4siam

Broken In
@aloodum : as i've already mention, when using external sata power supply, there isn't a problem but with current SMPS, the problem comes.
@whitestar_999 : Wow, i was so lucky my Graphic card still works. Will be changing the SMPS for sure within this month
@d6bmg : Can you please give me a link or address where i could get those? was planning to buy CORRSAIR TX 750 SMPS from costtocost and also, i am from Manipur so it will be advantageous if they do the shipping service too.
And thanks, you guys are awsome

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TX750 is overkill.even a seasonic 520W will suffice.cost2cost is good if you are buying directly from their shop in nehru place,delhi but not much is known about their online selling.buy from flipkart as i think their delivery service is very good even in north-east.however seasonic after sales support is not good in India even if its quality is better so i suggest corsair which has an excellent after sales support in India.
Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

Last edited:

mang

Broken In
You need a good power supply at least 28A on the 12V rail with active PFC. By a good PSU dont just go with the total Wattage like 500/600/700 etc. 500W is more than enough. Corsair CX 430 maybe sufficient for your need.They said 12V rail amperage is the most important thing rathar than the total Wattage. I think it is good to look for the ones with active PFC . using pc on battery / UPS for long is not advisable. Dont run your machine with UPS for long when there is no AC line. Lastly, if I were in a position to choose among brand of PSU my choice will be CORSAIR ............

Last edited:
OP
riders4siam

riders4siam

Broken In
TX750 is overkill.even a seasonic 520W will suffice.cost2cost is good if you are buying directly from their shop in nehru place,delhi but not much is known about their online selling.buy from flipkart as i think their delivery service is very good even in north-east.however seasonic after sales support is not good in India even if its quality is better so i suggest corsair which has an excellent after sales support in India.
Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

Oh o, i've already purchase ocz750w from costtocost today haven't seen the post above. May be i may upgrade my CPU with Core i7 7330 with mobo. Let's hope this new thing kick with high expectation. And, thnks to everyone n sorry to everyone. Will be receiving the PSU on 23rd Oct.

Top Bottom