Is HP DV5-1015tx or Dell XPS M1530 Better Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumit8695

Live life the techie way
I purchased the laptop yesterday.... It's simply awesome (at least till now !!)

I had been waiting long for Centrino 2 laptops...... Although I would have been more satisfied with P8xxx instead of P7350, still it seems dv5-1015tx is worth the wait.

Thanx guys for ur valuable clarifications/feedbacks.

Last edited:
OP
unni

unni

In the zone
@Sumit, congrats man. How much did it cost you?
@acewin, I didn't get much time to spend with the lappy yet. I feel like a soldier who was called back for duty right after marriage:D. Lot of work. I will have to wait till September 5 (Friday) to start really using it. I will try to give you a review soon. If you want to know anything specific, please post it here.

Last edited:

sumit8695

Live life the techie way
Hi Unni,

It cost me Rs. 66,800. It includes RAM upgrade to 4 GB. Also, they provided me headphone & optical mouse as part of their offer.

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
When you upgraded to 4 GB (from 3 GB), did you pay for 1 GB or 2GB? I mean, since the 1 GB already inside the lappy cannot be used, did they take it and give you a 2GB one instead?

acewin

Point Blanc
good buy sumit congratulations, I think this thread can easily work out as a good review section for digit people, about the feel of owning this lappy.

sumit8695

Live life the techie way
@Unni, I paid for 1 GB ... they gave me 2 GB, and kept 1 GB with them.

@acewin, many thanks......and yes, I will let my feelings about the laptop known after detailed exploration of the same.

coolmel

was here
hey guys!

i never knew a topic on the DV5t would have existed here. Anyways, i am one of the lucky few who bought this mean machine when it just came into India in August. Must say its a beast. Like the problem of choice with the XPS existed here, my only concern was graphics and HP delivered. Its simply a gr8 laptop for gaming, and it also plays HD 1080p movies with consummate ease!

Only drawback> the battery. while gaming, it dies out in say 90-100 mins and hwile wrking it does 2 hours, not more. If someone has achieved it, lucky then.

Unni: This lappy works wonders with any HD stuff. dont worry, bring on ur handycam without worry.

panamega

Right off the assembly line
The 9600gt in hp dv5 has gddr2 or 3? And how much of a difference does it make to have gddr3 over 2?

nowornever

Broken In
Hi,

I was previously thinking to buy xps1530 but after seeing the config of this sys ,I am delighted.Even HP is offering superior config than dell in the same price range and I thing its a 15.4 inch laptop & not 14.1 as mentioned in 1st post.

I have few doubts:

1)Where can I get this system in pune/Lucknow?If anybody purchased it in any of the cities,please mention shop and price as well with all the accessories u got.....:p

2)Is there any price diff. in diff. cities 4 same model ?

3)I think HP warranty covers whole India and not state specific...

4)Can anyone tell me 1105 cons and is it relly better as compared 2 xps 1530...:D??

acewin

Point Blanc
The 9600gt in hp dv5 has gddr2 or 3? And how much of a difference does it make to have gddr3 over 2?

it is DDR2 the thread starter mentioned it.
DDR3 is alot much better than DDR3

check HP retailer and dealers in Pune/Lucknow they would be having this model in store or can get it for you.

Last edited:

razial

Broken In
Hi to All,

if i am not wrong, for Dell XPS M1530 u will probably get onsite support(i think its by default), but for HP DV5-1015tx u certainly have to go for offsite support (even after extending warranty),

specs are one thing but please tell me overall whose after sales service is better

and for hp only vista drivers are avail, definately no-no support for other os, what about dell, is other os are easier to work with?

nowornever

Broken In
hp as overall better service.Their centres are located in all major towns and cities.

Guys,
Can anyone tell me that hpdv5 will be cheaperin pune or lucknow?

AshwinDR

Broken In
Hi Guys,

I am one of the guys who have brought the dv5-1015tx very recently around 1 week back, so listing my views on the reserch that went behind this laptop.I will also give you a sneak review of the same as per a user perspective in the coming days.

After searching over the internet for nearly 3 months for buying a laptop which should have a decent config and a very good GPU in the indian market i bought the above laptop.

Here were some of my considerations while going for the laptop.
1. Decent CPU and a good GPU.
2. Good Looks and Nice Build Quality.
3. Good Service for the laptop purchased.
4. Good Display and decent sound quality for watching some movies.

After searching for such a long time, i was completely confused in buying the laptops but listed down a few potential stuffs that i made as the final list and selected the above one, so the list goes as below

1. Sony Vaio CR353/L -> Great Looks , Very good CPU, one of the best displays in the market with very good sound effect and a low end GPU of 128 MB ATI Card.
-I got a deal of 53.5 k for the same

2. Dell xps 1530 -> Stunning looks, Very good CPU, Not so good display and very bad sound effect compare to any others of the same range and a very nice GPU of Nvidea 8600GT
- I got a deal of 63k for the same

3. Compaq CQ-137TX -> Not so great looks, very good CPU, Good Display and good sound but not that great GPU of Nvidea 9200GS
-I got a deal of 49k for the same

4. HP Pavilion DV5-1015Tx -> Good Looks but not as stunning as a xps 1530 or a Vaio either but decent enough. Very Good CPU, Good Display, stunning sound extremely good quality and very good graphics card of Nvidea 9600GT with 512MB dedicated memory and an additional TV Tuner Card.

- I got a deal of 64.5 k with a kodak camera free as everyone knows as well as a HP scanner cum printer cum copier free from the shop.

In the meanwhile i had also considered other brands of laptops such as lenovo, toshiba, asus and so on as well as other models such as inspiron or a studio and so on but i found these 4 were one of the best bets according to me.

Sony was the most attractive of them for me but did not go for the same because of the graphics card it has, so removed the option.
Then i saw the compaq laptop and somehow felt that it did not have the finish and the build quality of the ones these days. So ditched it even though it is the best value for money stuff.

Then there were only 2 competetors with me although my budet was around 50-55k when i started looking for the lappies. the xps 1530 and the dv5-1015tx.

I loved the looks of the xps, the red one is truely awesome as well as the feel of the laptop, the design and everything but as i have mentioned that its not only about looks and design but its also about value for money and a mean machine hence i went for the dv5-1015tx

The reasons for choosing the same were
1. HP service is lot better than dell these days.
2. For nearly same price as xps i am getting a better CPU and the GPU with more speed RAM Interface(Bus Speed). (core 2duo 8100 Vs core 2 duo P7350) (Nvidea 8600GT (256MB dedicated) Vs Nvidea 9600GT (512MB dedicated)) 667Mhz Vs 800Mhz.
3. Effective cost of laptop after the 2 gifts (64.5k - 8k(camera) - 4k(printer, copier, scanner)) is around 52.5k.
4. An Inbuilt TV Tuner Card additionally for watching and recording the tv stuff.

I will post some of the snaps and a review of the laptop quite soon. Hope this stuff would help many of the laptop buyers around and ask me any questions if you have on the same as i am quite happy answering the same.

Regards
Ashwin:smile:

acewin

Point Blanc
2. For nearly same price as xps i am getting a better CPU and the GPU with more speed RAM Interface(Bus Speed). (core 2duo 8100 Vs core 2 duo P7350) (Nvidea 8600GT (256MB dedicated) Vs Nvidea 9600GT (512MB dedicated)) 667Mhz Vs 800Mhz.
3. Effective cost of laptop after the 2 gifts (64.5k - 8k(camera) - 4k(printer, copier, scanner)) is around 52.5k.
4. An Inbuilt TV Tuner Card additionally for watching and recording the tv stuff.

yup P series processors are cooler than T series.
Good you goot goodies with the purchase.

nowornever

Broken In
Hi Guys,

I am one of the guys who have brought the dv5-1015tx very recently around 1 week back, so listing my views on the reserch that went behind this laptop.I will also give you a sneak review of the same as per a user perspective in the coming days.

After searching over the internet for nearly 3 months for buying a laptop which should have a decent config and a very good GPU in the indian market i bought the above laptop.

Here were some of my considerations while going for the laptop.
1. Decent CPU and a good GPU.
2. Good Looks and Nice Build Quality.
3. Good Service for the laptop purchased.
4. Good Display and decent sound quality for watching some movies.

After searching for such a long time, i was completely confused in buying the laptops but listed down a few potential stuffs that i made as the final list and selected the above one, so the list goes as below

1. Sony Vaio CR353/L -> Great Looks , Very good CPU, one of the best displays in the market with very good sound effect and a low end GPU of 128 MB ATI Card.
-I got a deal of 53.5 k for the same

2. Dell xps 1530 -> Stunning looks, Very good CPU, Not so good display and very bad sound effect compare to any others of the same range and a very nice GPU of Nvidea 8600GT
- I got a deal of 63k for the same

3. Compaq CQ-137TX -> Not so great looks, very good CPU, Good Display and good sound but not that great GPU of Nvidea 9200GS
-I got a deal of 49k for the same

4. HP Pavilion DV5-1015Tx -> Good Looks but not as stunning as a xps 1530 or a Vaio either but decent enough. Very Good CPU, Good Display, stunning sound extremely good quality and very good graphics card of Nvidea 9600GT with 512MB dedicated memory and an additional TV Tuner Card.

- I got a deal of 64.5 k with a kodak camera free as everyone knows as well as a HP scanner cum printer cum copier free from the shop.

In the meanwhile i had also considered other brands of laptops such as lenovo, toshiba, asus and so on as well as other models such as inspiron or a studio and so on but i found these 4 were one of the best bets according to me.

Sony was the most attractive of them for me but did not go for the same because of the graphics card it has, so removed the option.
Then i saw the compaq laptop and somehow felt that it did not have the finish and the build quality of the ones these days. So ditched it even though it is the best value for money stuff.

Then there were only 2 competetors with me although my budet was around 50-55k when i started looking for the lappies. the xps 1530 and the dv5-1015tx.

I loved the looks of the xps, the red one is truely awesome as well as the feel of the laptop, the design and everything but as i have mentioned that its not only about looks and design but its also about value for money and a mean machine hence i went for the dv5-1015tx

The reasons for choosing the same were

I will post some of the snaps and a review of the laptop quite soon. Hope this stuff would help many of the laptop buyers around and ask me any questions if you have on the same as i am quite happy answering the same.

Regards
Ashwin:smile:

Hi Ashwin,

Congrats for dv5.I am really interested in buying dv5.Please clear few of my doubts:

1)What is the default warranty of this 1015tx.onsite/offsite.Do you know the price of extending the warrant of 1yr/2yr?

2)I live in pune/Lucknow.If u know anywhere the availability of this sytem here,Please post..

3)Exactly what accessories ,u got by default with this laptop and the other additional accessories supplied by you retailer..please post(if possible pics as well)

4)Howz the quality of kodak digi cam and integrated laptop webcam?

5)HAVE U INSTALLED WINDOWS XP on it.I have heard that there is some prob in intallation of win xp.Please install and let us know..

Thanks in advance..

Cheers..:p

acewin

Point Blanc
naah installing XP is not a problem, the problem is HP does not give OS discs, hence if you install anyother OS your pre-loaded OS will go.
I do not know if there is anyway to save that.

coolmel

was here
Hey doc, congrats on buyin the best lappy of 08, the DV5. Hp recently added two more models to the Dv5 lineup, identical to the configs of the 1015tx, but one sporting an AMD processor and ATI radeon HD card.

All companies are offering a years warranty. that applies for HP also right.

anyways, i have been having this baby for over a month now and here are some catches..

1. After non stop gaming or video watching of over 2-3 hours, the left side gets hot and some portions of the games, start to lag. But this was tested in normal working conditions without an air conditioner. If the coolings better than its another story.

most of all, it plays demanding games with ease, no doubt i saw this. same for 1080p videos.

nitansh

TECHNOHOLIC..............
hey friends, i am looking for a laptop in 55-60 k range. HP dv-1015tx is one of the shortlisted laptops in my budget. So, please any of its user can anyone reply to my queries-
1) How is its battery life compared to XPS 1530?
2) how is its keypad?
3) Has anyone tried dual booting XP & VISTA on it?
4) Also please mention its pros & cons...

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom