Is HP DV5-1015tx or Dell XPS M1530 Better Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusharlad

Down to Earth
Hi Guys,

As most of you are asking for a brief look at this laptop, ill get some snaps of the same and share with you.

As far as the image of the webcam is concerned its very decent. I have even checked the TV tuner card for the same. Its quite good too.

Anyways would post a review of the lappy with some snaps in few days

Regards
Ashwin

Hi Ashwin

We are eager for your review. Please post it soon. I perticularly has to make a purchase decision between Xps 1530 and Hp's model

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
Here are some scores so that those who are confused between XPS M1530 and DV5-1015tx can make a better decision:

FPS obtained using Fraps:
(Resolution is 1280x800 if not mentioned).
1. GTA San Andreas - All settings set at maximum- constant 25 fps
2. Need for Speed Most Wanted - All settings set at maximum (1024x768 resolution ) - average of 25 fps in a cop chase involving lot of cop cars and other vehicles
3. BioShock - All settings set at maximum - average of 25 fps in a scene with 2-3 water 'falls' and 3-4 enemies
4. Gears of War - All settings set at maximum- average of 13 fps on a fighting scene, 16+ during normal scenes
5. Crysis - All settings set at 'high' (not 'very high') with antialiasing off - 9 fps in a shooting scene involving a tank and 4-5 soldiers, 14-18 fps in front of ocean

Results of Crysis GPU benchmark:
When I ran Crysis GPU benchmark (available in the game folder) with all settings 'high', results are as follows:

With all settings at 'very high' with AA off, Texture Quality at 'high' and Shaders Quality at 'high'
Average FPS: 8.71
Min FPS: 5.36 at frame 1360, Max FPS: 10.83 at frame 981
Average Tri/Sec: -4375069, Tri/Frame: -502476
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -1.82

When I ran Crysis GPU benchmark with all settings set at 'high' with AA off, results are
Average FPS: 9.65
Min FPS: 5.23 at frame 1322, Max FPS: 12.42 at frame 984
Average Tri/Sec: -9686599, Tri/Frame: -1003942
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -0.91

Windows Vista Experience Rating
The Windows (Vista Home Premium) Experience Index Rating is 4.9.
Details are below:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz - 4.9
Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB - 5.9
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - 4.9
Gaming graphics 1790 MB Total available graphics memory - 5.3
Primary hard disk - 5.3

3DMark06
3DMark06 Score: 4153 3DMarks
Settings used:
Anti-Aliasing - None
Anti-Aliasing Quality - 0
Texture Filtering - Optimal
Anisotropic Level - 1
VS Profile - 3_0
PS Profile - 3_0
Force full precision - No
Disable HW shadow mapping - No
Disable post-processing - No
Force software vertex shader - No
Color mipmaps - No
Force software FP filtering - No
Repeat tests - Off
Fixed framerate - Off

All these results were obtained using the nVidia driver given by HP. The game was run for about 30 seconds to obtain the Fraps fps ratings. The average rating from Fraps is calculated based on the lowest and highest rates obtained during this 30 second scene. I will post more accurate Fraps results later.

Last edited:

tusharlad

Down to Earth
Thanks Bro,
It will be much better if you can post its detailed review with pics.
BTW I enquired about this model at chroma surat, the sales person informed that they can bring a piece from Ahmedabad and will cost some 62500 rs without any scheme.
Oone more dealer was ready to bring that Hp model at 66000 rs. I think this prices are bit too high. No where I found this model on shelf to see.

panamega

Right off the assembly line
To those on the edge of buying a laptop, rumours abound that dell will be coming out with a new 16inch lappy equipped with 9600gt this month. So probably it's better to wait for some more time.

link:
*forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=291340

harisankar98

Here are some scores so that those who are confused between XPS M1530 and DV5-1015tx can make a better decision:

FPS obtained using Fraps:
(Resolution is 1280x800 if not mentioned).
1. GTA San Andreas - All settings set at maximum- constant 25 fps
2. Need for Speed Most Wanted - All settings set at maximum (1024x768 resolution ) - average of 25 fps in a cop chase involving lot of cop cars and other vehicles
3. BioShock - All settings set at maximum - average of 25 fps in a scene with 2-3 water 'falls' and 3-4 enemies
4. Gears of War - All settings set at maximum- average of 13 fps on a fighting scene, 16+ during normal scenes
5. Crysis - All settings set at 'high' (not 'very high') with antialiasing off - 9 fps in a shooting scene involving a tank and 4-5 soldiers, 14-18 fps in front of ocean

When I ran Crysis GPU benchmark (available in the game folder) with all settings 'high', results are as follows:

With all settings at 'very high' with AA off, Texture Quality at 'high' and Shaders Quality at 'high'
Average FPS: 8.71
Min FPS: 5.36 at frame 1360, Max FPS: 10.83 at frame 981
Average Tri/Sec: -4375069, Tri/Frame: -502476
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -1.82

When I ran Crysis GPU benchmark with all settings set at 'high' with AA off, results are
Average FPS: 9.65
Min FPS: 5.23 at frame 1322, Max FPS: 12.42 at frame 984
Average Tri/Sec: -9686599, Tri/Frame: -1003942
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -0.91

Windows Vista Experience Rating
The Windows (Vista Home Premium) Experience Index Rating is 4.9.
Details are below:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz - 4.9
Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB - 5.9
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - 4.9
Gaming graphics 1790 MB Total available graphics memory - 5.3
Primary hard disk - 5.3

3DMark06
3DMark06 Score: 4153 3DMarks
Settings used:
Anti-Aliasing - None
Anisotropic Level - 1
VS Profile - 3_0
PS Profile - 3_0
Color mipmaps - No
Repeat tests - Off
Fixed framerate - Off

All these results were obtained using the nVidia driver given by HP. The game was run for about 30 seconds to obtain the Fraps fps ratings. The average rating from Fraps is calculated based on the lowest and highest rates obtained during this 30 second scene. I will post more accurate Fraps results later.

Unni..
am also lukin forward to buying dv5 1015tx..confused b/w 1015 and xps 1530.. ma frnd having xps can play crysis in med details properly..
hwz crysis in medium settings in ur dv5?? how much fps did u get??

also anyone knows the price of dv5-1016tx ??

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
ma frnd having xps can play crysis in med details properly..
hwz crysis in medium settings in ur dv5?? how much fps did u get??
I ran Crysis at medium settings. Instead of giving an average fps rate from a random scene, I decided to check the frame rate I get at the beginning of the game so that you can compare the same scenes in XPS. The results are as below.

Crysis FPS (Obtained Using Fraps):
Resolution: 1280x800, AA off
Value given outside bracket is that of medium settings, value inside the bracket is that of high settings. After I posted the previous results, my video bios was upgraded. So, I checked the frame rates with all settings at 'high' once again.

1. In the very first scene in which the scientist says about North Koreans taking over the island, the frame rate was a constant 27-28 (16-17).
2. In the next scene in which an aircraft is shown (after displaying "seven days later"), it became 7-9 (5-7).
3. In the next scene (inside the plane), it was at 13-14 (9-10). Towards the end of this scene when the planes hatch opened, it fell to 9 (6-7).
4. During the jumping scene, it was at 17 (9-10) when you are looking around. 5. When I fell into the sea, it became 14-15 (9).
6. When I started walking around the island (where the turtle is lying), it was 15-17 (9-10) once in a while reaching 21.

When I choose the 'optimal settings' option available in Crysis, the games sets everything at 'high' @1280x800 & AA off.

At all 'medium', 1280x800, AA off:
Play Time: 113.45s, Average FPS: 17.63
Min FPS: 11.79 at frame 1947, Max FPS: 23.27 at frame 107
Average Tri/Sec: 14562692, Tri/Frame: 826083
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: 1.11

3DMark06:
3DMark06 Score: 4294 3DMarks
Settings used:
Anti-Aliasing - None
Anisotropic Level - 1
VS Profile - 3_0
PS Profile - 3_0
Color mipmaps - No
Repeat tests - Off
Fixed framerate - Off

If possible, pelase do a similar check on your friend's XPS and post the results here.

I actually played Crysis for more than 5 hours with all settings 'high' (since the game chose it when I clicked 'optimal settings'). I thought that I am getting >20 fps since I didn't feel any jerkiness (except an occassional less than 1 second jerk under heavy shooting). I came to know it is close to 15 or less only when I ran Fraps.

Last edited:

nareshkummar

Guys,

I am still not able to take a decision...between HP and Dell. I live in Mysore.
I am comparing the models with the same price range of about Rs. 65K.

HP Pros:
- Great GFx Card
- Great Build and Looks
HP Cons:
- Low Battery
- Can get only upto P7350 and nothing above that.

Dell Studio Pros:
- LED Display
- Can opt for P8400
- Better Battery
- 2MP Web Camera
- Backlit Keyboard
- 320GB HDD

Dell Studio Cons:
- Bad GFx Card
- Mediocre Build
- Mediocre Speaker Quality

Dell XPS Cons:
- No Centrino 2
- No Backlit Keyboard
- Only 256MB 8600M GT GFx Card

My Scope of work with laptop:
- Video Conversions for use with ipod
- Play Mid Level Games. Not too Hard core
- Lot of internet chatting and Video Calls
- Lot of Graphic designs using Adobe and Corel

Questions:
1. Does anyone know what is the HP webcam resolution? Does it perform well compared to Dell's.
2. Dell's GFX card - Is it really flawed?
3. Do i really need a 6MB cache processor for fast video conversions ?
4. How far does a GFx card affect your PC experience ?
:confused:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
To those on the edge of buying a laptop, rumours abound that dell will be coming out with a new 16inch lappy equipped with 9600gt this month. So probably it's better to wait for some more time.

link:
*forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=291340

i really hope that this time they (DELL) do release the lappy with 9xxx series of gpu.. i hv been waiting for a year now... :(

anyone still can put more light onto this rumour/fact ????? please..!!

Questions:
1. Does anyone know what is the HP webcam resolution? Does it perform well compared to Dell's.
2. Dell's GFX card - Is it really flawed?
3. Do i really need a 6MB cache processor for fast video conversions ?
4. How far does a GFx card affect your PC experience ?
:confused:

2.) well, its NOT flawed, (in few cases of over heating issues..) but since its a 8xxx series of gpu as compared to HP DV series 9xxx series of gpu, there are sum differences (ofcourse..) where the HP's 9xxx series of gpu wins...

3.) if u hv good amount of RAM (like say 3-4 GB) and working in DUAL channel, there wont be any problem...(afaik)...

4.) a dedicated (separate) gfx card is ALWAYS recommended for a hassel free PC like experience on the lappy, be it for watching movies, playing medium level games or jus surfing too.. as none of us wat to hv the RAM shared with an onboard (inbuilt) gpu wen the RAM itself it at a paltry size of jus 2 GB.. so it never hurts to get a lappy with a dedicated gpu card...and it does make a hell of a difference..wen compared to shared gfx memory.. :)
-----------------

Cheers n e-peace....

nareshkummar

2.) well, its NOT flawed, (in few cases of over heating issues..) but since its a 8xxx series of gpu as compared to HP DV series 9xxx series of gpu, there are sum differences (ofcourse..) where the HP's 9xxx series of gpu wins...

3.) if u hv good amount of RAM (like say 3-4 GB) and working in DUAL channel, there wont be any problem...(afaik)...

4.) a dedicated (separate) gfx card is ALWAYS recommended for a hassel free PC like experience on the lappy, be it for watching movies, playing medium level games or jus surfing too.. as none of us wat to hv the RAM shared with an onboard (inbuilt) gpu wen the RAM itself it at a paltry size of jus 2 GB.. so it never hurts to get a lappy with a dedicated gpu card...and it does make a hell of a difference..wen compared to shared gfx memory.. :)
-----------------

Cheers n e-peace....
Thanks mate!!

@naresh I think they have removed dv5-1015tx and 1016tx from the market I think

A dealer i know, told me that he can still get me dv5-1015tx....He told me that HP has decided to keep it in market for couple of months more...
Should i go with it?
Why did they remove it in the first place? Is it flawed?
Or should i wait for any new release? Are they planning for one?

Do you suggest any substitute for this model?

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
if you can get it, then it is best buy. When Dell will get 9600M GT in then its price will go above 70K for sure. currently same config cost almost 65K with 8600 GT for Dell

besides it few recommended upgrade for dv5 is getting 4GB RAM instead of 3GB and 8-cell battery.

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ nareshkummar : not a problem buddy.. :)

@ acewin: yup, nice point said abt DELL with their new 9xxx series of gpu...i too think the same abt the price hike..

nareshkummar

My vendor failed to get hold of a HP DV5 1105tx. I am confused again.
Hence I decided to do some more investigation. I started looking into Dell Studio 15.
Heard most people agreeing that XPS line needs a change. So leaving that out...

So I made an analysis between Non-Configurable HP DV5-1105tx and Configurable Dell Studio 15 in the same price range. Price Range 65K.
I have also given my weightage to various features.

*www.free-imagehosting.net/photos/Picture1.jpg

For eg:
Dell Build Includes negative points like, Heavier Build, customizable colors
HP build includes points like, hp logo glow, onyx paint job.
Graphics;
I am not a hard core pc gamer. I own a PS2.
But then i would work a lot in Adobe and Corel Draw. Also I would like to play COD4, FEAR at medium, medium low settings.

Now all you guys are welcome to comment and give me suggestions. You can also point out things that i have missed or on those that i have made wrong assumptions.

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
not sure from where you got the list but it is good, except of some parts. you could have also given the link if you have not made this on your own.
HP battery life is very good. The battery in consideration here is normal battery which in alot of the laptop woud give 3.5 Hrs if they do not have 9600GT, that is why recommendation goes for better battery which in general case would have given almost 5-6 Hrs but here would give almost 3-3.5 Hrs

the 9600MGT included has given alot many of the problems

Then comes display and screen res here also HP is better than the standard Dell monitor,
The one havin 1400x900 display costs almost 6K addition to base price.

Same does 4GB RAM, you got option to get this RAM upgrade done in HP also, at the time of buying.

Backlit keyboard is something a plus but then again adds 1100 bucks.
Dell gives option of gettin Fingerprint Reader added so you missed that.

TV Tuner card is one of the bundled goodie for dv5-105tx and is not there in general dv5 series model.

In short HP and Dell are very good worth, it just that this model had lots and lots of huge Plus, and HP removed from market

The config of the Dell Stuido you have suggested will come around 70K including tax whereas HP one was in 65K. All currently available HP dv5 now have 256MB cards and none having 9600MGT or such goodies as in dv5-1015 or 1016

Dell charges for the carrycase also separately I think so there goes your 2.6K if you opted for it.

Bluetooth is not a goody its already in the bundle of both HP and Dell

Last edited:

nareshkummar

not sure from where you got the list but it is good, except of some parts. you could have also given the link if you have not made this on your own.
HP battery life is very good. The battery in consideration here is normal battery which in alot of the laptop woud give 3.5 Hrs if they do not have 9600GT, that is why recommendation goes for better battery which in general case would have given almost 5-6 Hrs but here would give almost 3-3.5 Hrs

the 9600MGT included has given alot many of the problems

Then comes display and screen res here also HP is better than the standard Dell monitor,
The one havin 1400x900 display costs almost 6K addition to base price.

Same does 4GB RAM, you got option to get this RAM upgrade done in HP also, at the time of buying.

Backlit keyboard is something a plus but then again adds 1100 bucks.
Dell gives option of gettin Fingerprint Reader added so you missed that.

TV Tuner card is one of the bundled goodie for dv5-105tx and is not there in general dv5 series model.

In short HP and Dell are very good worth, it just that this model had lots and lots of huge Plus, and HP removed from market

The config of the Dell Stuido you have suggested will come around 70K including tax whereas HP one was in 65K. All currently available HP dv5 now have 256MB cards and none having 9600MGT or such goodies as in dv5-1015 or 1016

Dell charges for the carrycase also separately I think so there goes your 2.6K if you opted for it.

Bluetooth is not a goody its already in the bundle of both HP and Dell

Yeah. I made this on my own...Just now realized that i have made a mistake on typing the model no.:D
I have given my weightage also...;)

The whole point of comparison here is, what all you can get for the price range of 65K.
In India we dont have the option to customize HP. Thats the main problem here.
Anyways I am from Mysore, i visited couple of shops here.
They said the can still get me the HP dv5 1015tx laptop. They first quoted 63990+Taxes. Later on bargain they only came down to 62500+Taxes.
The Infinity Display is great only when we plan to use it in dark lighting conditions. The glossy surface gives out lots of reflection it seems. (I havent seen it for myself)
And by the way WLED 1440x will give you more desk space and it will consume lesser power. But the graphics card here is the only problem in Studio.
What do you mean 9600MGT has given lots of problems?
Have any info about HP webcam lag?

Finally should i buy HP or not? :confused:

acewin

Point Blanc
well 9600MGT does not have lots of problem, its just its a new card. Gives heat, and would need alot better cooling than now.
8600GT or HD3450 or HD3650 are old cards, much work already done to make them cooler for normal laptops.
I do accept the resolution point you have mentioned, but 1400 on 15.4 screen will become very less but is something which should have been there in dv5-1015tx. HP could have given a more better display.

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
@nowornever, nitansh, Boot_Comp, panamega, tusharlad, harisankar98, nareshkummar & ashu888ashu888
Guys, have you purchased or decided to purchase any laptop? I would like to know which model you chose.

panamega

Didn't know we get MSI laptops here:
*www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/MSI_GX620/551-93412-616-1.html

Anybody aware of their quality and after sales service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom