Is dual channel memory=DDR2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RajU
I AM CONFUSED...

can any one explain that, is dual channel memory is what we call DDR2?
If no then what is dual channel memory?

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
ya ddr2 uses dual channel architecture.. hope this helps

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel
*www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf

Kniwor

Learner
DDR and DDR2 are two memory standards, they could have been name "joey" and "ross" , but dual channel is a way to use all the banks in two memory sticks at a time to boost performance.

both DDR1 and DDR2 can run in dual channel mode.

OP

RajU
Thank u. Can you please suggest me a 2GB dual channel memory DDR2 that is good for gaming and also cost low on price?

harikatt

In the zone
i feel,, in mother board a slott will be there naming dual channel memory slot.. which is the main function for dual channel working..

xbonez

NP : Crysis
i've got an ASUS A8N vm mobo which supports dual channel mem. i've got 2 512mb 400mhz ram cards slotted in so it is supposed to be running in dual channel config. in dual channel config do the ram cards opertae at a freq greater than 400mhz? if not, what exactly is the advantage of dual channel?

Kniwor

Learner
The ram still runs at 400Mhz(DDR1) when in dual channel, it's just that when it's in Dual channel, both the sticks are used together, suppose two 512Mb sticks are put in single channel, then there's a 1024Mb ram with 64bit interface, If a file is to be written on ram, it will go to any go to any of them through the 64bit bus, but now if they are in dual channel, it will be 64+64 bit, the file will go partially in both of them, all the banks are considered to be one ram, so it will be 128bit.

not just any two slots in motherboard will run in dual channel, diff manufacturers have diff designs, for some it is adjacent slots, for some alternate, just look at the forum,if you cant find, ask here.

xbonez

well i have an ASUS A8N-VM nvidia geforce 6100 chipset motherboard. as of now, both the ram cards are slotted in adjacent slots. how do i know if they r runing in dual channel config? i've got everest yltimate edition. will that tell me?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
xbonez said:
well i have an ASUS A8N-VM nvidia geforce 6100 chipset motherboard. as of now, both the ram cards are slotted in adjacent slots. how do i know if they r runing in dual channel config? i've got everest yltimate edition. will that tell me?
install the small free SW cpu-z and check its memory tab. If shown as single channel,, refer your Mobo manual to see where to put the sticks for dual channel. Only take care that the sticks are identical

xbonez

the two ram cards i own are both of 512mb 400mhz however they are from diff companies. i'm not even sure if the latencies match. can i still use them in dual channel?

Kniwor

Learner
xbonez said:
the two ram cards i own are both of 512mb 400mhz however they are from diff companies. i'm not even sure if the latencies match. can i still use them in dual channel?
may be.... may be now

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I feel that the best thing for you will be to exchange your existing sticks while buying the new 2x1GB to get two identical ones. And nowadays the RAM prices have again come down.

xbonez

how muc would a 1gb 400mhz ram card from a reputed company cost? how much do u think i could get for my 1yr old Transcend 512mb 400mhz ram card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom