Is Dell cheating on Indian Customers ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I too am getting a range of 32-40 FPS So both are averaging at 35(including the whole game-play, and not just one particular scene), what about med settings in the y500 ?

Inspiron's giving 40-45 FPS

Lemme test med..........try ultra as that will be a true overkill test.

- - - Updated - - -

45-53, mostly at 48 during moving around and stuff.

That scene 55 is the highest, usually 50 -55.

y500 bf4 med.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

But I dont understand one thing, how can a 3630QM/650M perform on the same level as an 4700QM/750M or 4500U/8850M becuse your setup is producing similar FPS

I am guessing drivers. I am using BETA drivers which are supposed to enhance performance over previous drivers. Go ahead update your drivers and let's see what happens then.

Just on a side note, the GT 750M benchmarks were done very old drivers but the GT 755M on game ready drivers, that's why the massive boost in performance. I am referring to notebookchecknet.

Also Nvidia performs better than AMD in BF 4. Got some other game we can test out? Maybe Crysis 3?

- - - Updated - - -

Also you have my word I am not OCing.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Lemme test med..........try ultra as that will be a true overkill test.

- - - Updated - - -

45-53, mostly at 48 during moving around and stuff.

That scene 55 is the highest, usually 50 -55.

View attachment 13629

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing drivers. I am using BETA drivers which are supposed to enhance performance over previous drivers. Go ahead update your drivers and let's see what happens then.

Just on a side note, the GT 750M benchmarks were done very old drivers but the GT 755M on game ready drivers, that's why the massive boost in performance. I am referring to notebookchecknet.

Also Nvidia performs better than AMD in BF 4. Got some other game we can test out? Maybe Crysis 3?

- - - Updated - - -

Also you have my word I am not OCing.

Allright, I will update to the latest drivers and check again.Also the drivers used on notebookcheck aren't ancient

I checked, the latest stable release is 331.21 whereas the notebookcheck guys are using 326.80....not that far I would say.

In the meantime I will also finish downloading "Bioshock Infinite" , we will test that game.

BTW, how much does you 650m score on Cinebench R11.5 open gl ?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Allright, I will update to the latest drivers and check again.Also the drivers used on notebookcheck aren't ancient

I checked, the latest stable release is 331.21 whereas the notebookcheck guys are using 326.80....not that far I would say.

In the meantime I will also finish downloading "Bioshock Infinite" , we will test that game.

It makes a hell lotta difference 331.21>>326.80. 331 is game ready driver so it's much superior to 326.

Bioshock Infinite is a nice choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I am on 334.67 hence the increase in performance.

Notebookcheck 750m benchmarks are with very old drivers and some are even 750m ddr3 ones.
I am always on the latest drivers and my 750m with stock clocks gives much better results in the same tests.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Here's the full list depicting how old 326.80 is.
GeForce 334.67 Beta Driver - BETA

Version: 334.67 - Release Date: Mon Jan 27, 2014
GeForce 332.21 Driver - WHQL

Version: 332.21 - Release Date: Tue Jan 07, 2014
GeForce R331 Game Ready Driver - BETA

Version: 331.93 - Release Date: Wed Nov 27, 2013
GeForce R331 Game Ready Driver - WHQL

Version: 331.82 - Release Date: Tue Nov 19, 2013

Version: 331.65 - Release Date: Mon Oct 28, 2013

Version: 331.58 - Release Date: Mon Oct 21, 2013
GeForce 331.40 Driver - BETA

Version: 331.40 - Release Date: Mon Sep 30, 2013
GeForce 327.23 Driver - WHQL

Version: 327.23 - Release Date: Thu Sep 19, 2013
GeForce 326.80 Driver - BETA

Version: 326.80 - Release Date: Tue Aug 20, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

Notebookcheck 750m benchmarks are with very old drivers and some are even 750m ddr3 ones.
I am always on the latest drivers and my 750m with stock clocks gives much better results in the same tests.

Mind joining in this benching game? ^.^

Would love to but I dont have BF3/4 installed right now!
Just have NFS:R right now.
Will get back my games in a weeks time then I will do short well-defined and easy to replicate tests on diff. settings and clocks.

You guys are having a really nice thing going on, however i didn't follow everything...
So can you guys give a nice conclusion to your discussion/summary
Is CPU really a deciding factor for a person looking for a gaming laptop with good value per paisa. ?
BTW. I have a 2 yr old HP g6 2005ax with AMD A8 4500APU 1.9Ghz with 7640m+7670G 512MB DDR3
I cant even run Battlefield 3 properly even at 800x600 all lowest resolution, heavy skipping of frame rates, cant aim at anyone. And NFS Rivals the world is in slow motion. It takes me 1 minute just to get through the starting intro of the game where the girl keeps yapping and the control to my vehicle is given.
I have adjusted Configurable Graphic Properties to High performance for all games and Catalyst software i have enabled the use of both Graphics.

On the other hand i can play games like Tomb Raider at native resolution at low settings smoothly. Same with Metal Gear ReVengeance i play at native resolution and medium setting with AA on. Im using the latest drivers as recommended by Catalyst software

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
You guys are having a really nice thing going on, however i didn't follow everything...
Is CPU really a deciding factor for a person looking for a gaming laptop with good value per paisa. ?

The world of laptop hardware is as diverse and complicated as real life itself.
The CPU is a deciding factor if and only if the GPU is getting bottlenecked by it.
CPU bottleneck is applicable in games such as Crysis 3.
It is not applicable in games such as Company of Heroes 2.
Beware of Physx heavy games. AMD cards do not support Physx and lets the CPU handle Physx which further decreases performance.

Note: In India real "gaming laptop" segment starts with Alienware 14 with GTX 765M. Rest are all high end multimedia laptops.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
BTW. I have a 2 yr old HP g6 2005ax with AMD A8 4500APU 1.9Ghz with 7640m+7670G 512MB DDR3
I cant even run Battlefield 3 properly even at 800x600 all lowest resolution, heavy skipping of frame rates, cant aim at anyone. And NFS Rivals the world is in slow motion. It takes me 1 minute just to get through the starting intro of the game where the girl keeps yapping and the control to my vehicle is given.
I have adjusted Configurable Graphic Properties to High performance for all games and Catalyst software i have enabled the use of both Graphics.

On the other hand i can play games like Tomb Raider at native resolution at low settings smoothly. Same with Metal Gear ReVengeance i play at native resolution and medium setting with AA on. Im using the latest drivers as recommended by Catalyst software

The answer to your question is NO, CPU alone is not a deciding factor.If it were so I would install a Core I7 4900MQ in my laptop, run Crysis 3 on ultra settings and play on 60 FPS.

But sadly that doesn't happen, you will need an uber-powerful GPU ( AMD Radeon 8970M) or something like that to do what I mentioned above.

In India if you are buying a laptop below 70 K you are forced to make a choice between Weak CPU+Strong GPU and Strong CPU+Weak GPU.

Given a choice I would choose the former because even though I am running a risk of CPU bottleneck in a few games, I will extract excellent performance out of games which do not use the CPU heavily.Whereas in the second case(Strong CPU+Weak GPU) I will always get mediocre performance(due to the weak GPU) no matter what the game.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The answer to your question is NO, CPU alone is not a deciding factor.If it were so I would install a Core I7 4900MQ in my laptop, run Crysis 3 on ultra settings and play on 60 FPS.

But sadly that doesn't happen, you will need an uber-powerful GPU ( AMD Radeon 8970M) or something like that to do what I mentioned above.

In India if you are buying a laptop below 70 K you are forced to make a choice between Weak CPU+Strong GPU and Strong CPU+Weak GPU.

Given a choice I would choose the former because even though I am running a risk of CPU bottleneck in a few games, I will extract excellent performance out of games which do not use the CPU heavily.Whereas in the second case(Strong CPU+Weak GPU) I will always get mediocre performance(due to the weak GPU) no matter what the game.

Yo, Bioshock Infinite should run better in yours because it is not very CPU intensive.

tkin

Back to school!!
Dell Inspiron 17R

I7 4500U, AMD RADEON 8870M , 16 GB RAM and FHD display all in 75K....WTF ?

WHY the hell isn't this laptop in India, Dell is holding back on Indian Customers...stupid americans

and to think I have a dell laptop.
With taxes that would be 90k, and how many would buy such a thing? Customers would buy a 60k iphone, cause that's a show off, you can't show off a laptop.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
With taxes that would be 90k, and how many would buy such a thing? Customers would buy a 60k iphone, cause that's a show off, you can't show off a laptop.

Apparently you can. Imagine a railway compartment..........filled with guys with laptops then you take out your Alienware 18 with GTX 780m SLI and play Crysis 3 on it. I think you get the idea. Don't try in an aeroplane............you may damage the food tray. ^.^

tkin

Back to school!!
Apparently you can. Imagine a railway compartment..........filled with guys with laptops then you take out your Alienware 18 with GTX 780m SLI and play Crysis 3 on it. I think you get the idea. Don't try in an aeroplane............you may damage the food tray. ^.^
Not gonna happen in India, chances are some thug will hold a knife to your throat inside the train and take it away :p

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Not gonna happen in India, chances are some thug will hold a knife to your throat inside the train and take it away :p

OK next scenario...........you are at your friend's house who has bought a new laptop with 2GB graphic card(Even Alienware 14/17 with GTX 765M will do) ;). You ask him.........can it run Crysis 3? You then install Crysis 3 in his laptop while at the same time running it at ultra in your Sager Np8265-S with GTX 780M. He will be like........nice game.........nice graphics. The scene will be more epic when there are more friends. After installation, you directly go to settings and change everything to ultra. Then watch the desperation.

tkin

Back to school!!
OK next scenario...........you are at your friend's house who has bought a new laptop with 2GB graphic card(Even Alienware 14/17 with GTX 765M will do) ;). You ask him.........can it run Crysis 3? You then install Crysis 3 in his laptop while at the same time running it at ultra in your Sager Np8265-S with GTX 780M. He will be like........nice game.........nice graphics. The scene will be more epic when there are more friends. After installation, you directly go to settings and change everything to ultra. Then watch the desperation.
99.9% chance none of my friends will buy an alienware, even if they do they will play Fifa only :p

For that 0.1%, we again come to that scenario of not enough customers :p

Actually till date I have not seen anyone around me buying a high end gaming laptop, specially above 60k, they would rather buy an iphone, or a DSLR, or a car or flat perhaps. I had never seen an alienware in my life :(

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
99.9% chance none of my friends will buy an alienware, even if they do they will play Fifa only :p

For that 0.1%, we again come to that scenario of not enough customers :p

Actually till date I have not seen anyone around me buying a high end gaming laptop, specially above 60k, they would rather buy an iphone, or a DSLR, or a car or flat perhaps. I had never seen an alienware in my life :(

Same here lol. Alienwares and Macs are highly overrated products. iPhones too. I ask why? They tell me iPhone hai, Mac hai, Android/Windows sai better hai. And of course NO virus!!!

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz

LOL, but the thing is If I am spending 80-90K on computers, I would assemble a gaming rig(I7 4770K+AMD/ATI Radeon R9 290 4 GB DDR5 ) and a sweet FHD IPS Monitor...then make people even more jealous by playing Ultra Crysis 3 on a 20 inch display

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
LOL, but the thing is If I am spending 80-90K on computers, I would assemble a gaming rig(I7 4770K+AMD/ATI Radeon R9 290 4 GB DDR5 ) and a sweet FHD IPS Monitor...then make people even more jealous by playing Ultra Crysis 3 on a 20 inch display

You can't take it to their homes.

tkin

Back to school!!
90k will get you this config in full? Wow, I spent nearly 100k on the config below a few years back(except the GPU), times sure have changed.

Top Bottom