Is Dell cheating on Indian Customers ?

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Dell Inspiron 17R

I7 4500U, AMD RADEON 8870M , 16 GB RAM and FHD display all in 75K....WTF ?

WHY the hell isn't this laptop in India, Dell is holding back on Indian Customers...stupid americans

and to think I have a dell laptop.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
do some basic economics study first.dell is holding back for the same reason a 42" LCD TV cost much more here than in countries like Dubai,it is the govt & its economic policies.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
do some basic economics study first.dell is holding back for the same reason a 42" LCD TV cost much more here than in countries like Dubai,it is the govt & its economic policies.

Well Mr Economist, care to tell me why Dell/Lenovo/HP already have similarly/above priced models in their line-up and not this particular model.

I would say Dell is deliberately denying Indian customers access to reasonably priced good hardware.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
taxes on electronic products in India are higher which means a company can not just launch any model which it sells in other countries for similar or even a bit higher price.it is a well known fact that for the same price(rupees converted to $) you will get a better configuration laptop in USA.if dell has to make profit on a laptop having 8870M in India it would have to sell it at a price for which no one or very few would buy it in India.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
taxes on electronic products in India are higher which means a company can not just launch any model which it sells in other countries for similar or even a bit higher price.it is a well known fact that for the same price(rupees converted to $) you will get a better configuration laptop in USA.if dell has to make profit on a laptop having 8870M in India it would have to sell it at a price for which no one or very few would buy it in India.

Yes, but its not just the price of 8870M.Dell is offering an ULV I7 in that model whereas other brands are offering Quad core I7's in the same price(for eg lenovo offers a 4700HQ and a GT 755M in 75K), so it evens out the disparity.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
lenovo is a chinese company so it has the advantage in Asia region compared to Dell because of chinese govt economic policies as well as cheaper production cost.you will almost never find a US company electronic product at same/lower price compared to same product/same configuration by asian/chinese companies in Asia.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@AbhMkh

Mate,things are not all that balanced here if you compare with US/europe.If you see Lenovo y500 models,we had no models here which came with caching SSD afaik but those were available in US and other places.Same goes with y510 models here as of now.Lenovo y580 with gtx660m never was available here.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Electronics especially laptops are damn expensive India and the market is not developed also. How many of us Indians are passionate about running high end games at max settings in a laptop?(sam is an exception)
Most of the non-tech savvy gamers play at the default settings. I ask my friends:- Oh so you can play Crysis 3, what settings? Most reply:- I don't know.

Every company is making huge profits when it comes to high end(70k+) laptops. Lenovo placed the Y500/Y510p at the same price as in US but the only difference was the US model is in SLI mode. Sometimes SLI models are sold as low 1000$. Now if you decide to import one then you can get it at the same price(including duties) as buying it in India without SLI.

If we look at the Ultra high end, the differences increase. The best gaming laptop in India is the Alienware 17 with GTX 770m which costs 1.9 lakh INR.
At this price you can get an Alienware 18(1.5 lakh) with dual GTX 770m , manage to pay the duties and still save a few bucks(~10k).

The other alternative here is the ASUS G750JX with GTX 770m which costs 1.55lakh. At this price you can get an Alienware 17 with GTX 780m and still get an international warranty from Dell.

$hadow

Geek in making
And the market will never ever be able to develop as compared to Western markets coz of the taxation policies.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Its a shame this isn't available here,would have made a great gaming laptop.Definitely a Y510p killer !

Yeah they were. I don't know about now. About 6 months ago almost every dell laptop below 50000 came with shitty ULV processors.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Its a shame this isn't available here,would have made a great gaming laptop.Definitely a Y510p killer !

Suppose that if Dell had released this laptop in India, then Lenovo would have released the SLI model of Y510p to match the competition. Both would still have been placed above the 1 lakh mark.
Y510p with SLI is still the better laptop because of the CPU.
In the Dell Inspiron 17R the superb GPU is completely trashed by the super duper hyper low powered undervolted CPU.

Wait a minute, take a deep breath and calm down. Before you shout, scream and make noise :- CPU NOT IMPORTANT!! CPU NOT IMPORTANT!!
Listen to my part of the argument.

Open this:-

AMD Radeon HD 8870M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

The website says that it is equivalent to GTX 670M (not MX, MX=Kepler) which is a fermi chip but still powerful than GT 755M.
In the Benchmarks of Metro Last Light, this card trashes the game by giving 30 FPS on high(ultra not present). Close to GTX 670M(32) but this score is when it is coupled with a i7 3635QM.

Now check Ghosts, Rivals and Black Flag, see the scores are trash. Ghosts is visually less demanding than Metro Last Light yet has a lower score. You are correct, these games were benchmarked with core i7 4500U processor.

Another interesting thing is the BF 4 benchmark. Remember the other day we were benching it? The increase in performance is because of higher clock of 8870M which is basically an OC of 8850.(ours run at 600 MHz, 8870 is 725Mhz)

I'll run Ghosts in my Inspiron 15 and clear once and for all whether CPU really bottlenecks GPU or not. Let's see.............this should be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact I'll run all 3 Ghosts, Black Flag and Rivals.

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm it.........COD:Ghosts completely trashes i7 4500U.
I tested Y500 while disabling SLI and making the clocks stock(790 Mhz core).

Settings:-
Res:-1366x768
Rest-Max
AA:-4xMSAA

Inspiron 15 gave 20 FPS while Y500 gave 26.
Inspiron 15 dropped as low as 13 and Y500 as low as 19 when a sniper rifle was zoomed(due to depth of field).
i7 4500U showed 80% usage (not 100% probably due to poor optimization of Hyperthreading).
i7 3632QM showed 35% usage.

Needless to say, a weaker graphic card is giving more performance due to CPU bottleneck. Gamers beware i7 4500U is not for gaming and you are better off with a Quad core i7 for playing games beyond high.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Suppose that if Dell had released this laptop in India, then Lenovo would have released the SLI model of Y510p to match the competition. Both would still have been placed above the 1 lakh mark.
Y510p with SLI is still the better laptop because of the CPU.
In the Dell Inspiron 17R the superb GPU is completely trashed by the super duper hyper low powered undervolted CPU.

Wait a minute, take a deep breath and calm down. Before you shout, scream and make noise :- CPU NOT IMPORTANT!! CPU NOT IMPORTANT!!
Listen to my part of the argument.

Open this:-

AMD Radeon HD 8870M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

The website says that it is equivalent to GTX 670M (not MX, MX=Kepler) which is a fermi chip but still powerful than GT 755M.
In the Benchmarks of Metro Last Light, this card trashes the game by giving 30 FPS on high(ultra not present). Close to GTX 670M(32) but this score is when it is coupled with a i7 3635QM.

Now check Ghosts, Rivals and Black Flag, see the scores are trash. Ghosts is visually less demanding than Metro Last Light yet has a lower score. You are correct, these games were benchmarked with core i7 4500U processor.

Another interesting thing is the BF 4 benchmark. Remember the other day we were benching it? The increase in performance is because of higher clock of 8870M which is basically an OC of 8850.(ours run at 600 MHz, 8870 is 725Mhz)

I'll run Ghosts in my Inspiron 15 and clear once and for all whether CPU really bottlenecks GPU or not. Let's see.............this should be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact I'll run all 3 Ghosts, Black Flag and Rivals.

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm it.........COD:Ghosts completely trashes i7 4500U.
I tested Y500 while disabling SLI and making the clocks stock(790 Mhz core).

Settings:-
Res:-1366x768
Rest-Max
AA:-4xMSAA

Inspiron 15 gave 20 FPS while Y500 gave 26.
Inspiron 15 dropped as low as 13 and Y500 as low as 19 when a sniper rifle was zoomed(due to depth of field).
i7 4500U showed 80% usage (not 100% probably due to poor optimization of Hyperthreading).
i7 3632QM showed 35% usage.

Needless to say, a weaker graphic card is giving more performance due to CPU bottleneck. Gamers beware i7 4500U is not for gaming and you are better off with a Quad core i7 for playing games beyond high.

A dual GPU setup is without doubt better than a single GPU, that being said....the Y510P SLI should cost much more than the 17r(infact it does 1200$ for the dell laptop and 1800$ for the y510p SLI acc to notebookcheck)

And yes I do agree, with a Class 1 GPU like the 8870M a std quad core processor would be much better, but you have to compromise on something to lower the price.

here is an actual review of the laptop

Review Dell Inspiron 17R-5737 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

From the review it seems the AMD drivers are not agreeing with COD ghosts thereby resulting in the unusually low FPS.

I refuse to believe that a 3630qm/std(not OC) 650m can beat a 4500U/8850M..so lets try BF4 [ a 4700mq/740m can never beat it, how can a 650m]

I ran BF 4 on my laptop

Everything high,1366*768,preset

Highest FPS : 40

Lowest FPS : 30

Avg FPS : 35

Now why don't you run BF4 on similar settings( single GT650M and no overclock..Core:745 Mhz-Memory:1000Mhz)...and we will see

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
A dual GPU setup is without doubt better than a single GPU, that being said....the Y510P SLI should cost much more than the 17r(infact it does 1200$ for the dell laptop and 1800$ for the y510p SLI acc to notebookcheck)

And yes I do agree, with a Class 1 GPU like the 8870M a std quad core processor would be much better, but you have to compromise on something to lower the price.

here is an actual review of the laptop

Review Dell Inspiron 17R-5737 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

From the review it seems the AMD drivers are not agreeing with COD ghosts thereby resulting in the unusually low FPS.

I refuse to believe that a 3630qm/std(not OC) 650m can beat a 4500U/8850M..so lets try BF4 [ a 4700mq/740m can never beat it, how can a 650m]

I ran BF 4 on my laptop

Everything high,1366*768,preset

Highest FPS : 40

Lowest FPS : 30

Avg FPS : 35

Now why don't you run BF4 on similar settings( single GT650M and no overclock..Core:745 Mhz-Memory:1000Mhz)...and we will see

I am not saying GT650m is better than 8850M. 8850M is much better but it's capabilities are bottle necked by i7 4500U. Can you please tell which AA are you using? Please post a screenshot of the settings to get a better comparison.

And check this out........Y510p with dual GT750m and i7 4700MQ at 1k $

XOTIC PC | LENOVO IdeaPad Y510p (59388313)

At 64000 INR :O that's cheaper than Indian version lol. Lenovo is sure making c*****s of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Please also tell the FOV, I have it maxed out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also tell which mission.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I am not saying GT650m is better than 8850M. 8850M is much better but it's capabilities are bottle necked by i7 4500U. Can you please tell which AA are you using? Please post a screenshot of the settings to get a better comparison.

And check this out........Y510p with dual GT750m and i7 4700MQ at 1k $

XOTIC PC | LENOVO IdeaPad Y510p (59388313)

At 64000 INR :O that's cheaper than Indian version lol. Lenovo is sure making c*****s of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Please also tell the FOV, I have it maxed out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also tell which mission.

Mission 2 : Shangahi

FOV : MAX

Graphics Quality : Select high, dont touch anything else

resolution : 100%

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I just made comparative video of both the laptops.........gimme 10 mins I'll post it. You're correct about the FPS of Inspiron 15, it does give 35-40. As for FPS of Y500............you gotta wait because I am hungry..........OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO suspense.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I just made comparative video of both the laptops.........gimme 10 mins I'll post it. You're correct about the FPS of Inspiron 15, it does give 35-40. As for FPS of Y500............you gotta wait because I am hungry..........OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO suspense.

REMEMBER, NO SLI ...NO OVERCLOCK.....[745 Mhz core and 1000 Mhz memory]....post a screenshot of both speed's otherwise your results will be considered as invalid.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
REMEMBER, NO SLI ...NO OVERCLOCK.....[745 Mhz core and 1000 Mhz memory]....post a screenshot of both speed's otherwise your results will be considered as invalid.

745Mhz and 1000Mhz are not the default clocks. The default clocks are 790 Mhz and 1000Mhz for Lenovo Y500 GT 650M. I am just clicking reset on MSI afterburner which resets any overclocking/underclocking done.
Sorry can't share the video 1080p video from Xperia ZR exceeps 150Mb(2.5 mins).

- - - Updated - - -

y500 bF4 HIGH.jpg

y500 scores are ranging from 34-39 for this particular scene.

Inspiron 15 is giving a greater range:- 28-40 for the exact same scene.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
745Mhz and 1000Mhz are not the default clocks. The default clocks are 790 Mhz and 1000Mhz for Lenovo Y500 GT 650M. I am just clicking reset on MSI afterburner which resets any overclocking/underclocking done.
Sorry can't share the video 1080p video from Xperia ZR exceeps 150Mb(2.5 mins).

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 13627

y500 scores are ranging from 34-39 for this particular scene.

Inspiron 15 is giving a greater range:- 28-40 for the exact same scene.

I too am getting a range of 32-40 FPS in that scene .So both are averaging at 35(including the whole game-play, and not just one particular scene), what about med settings in the y500 ?

Inspiron's giving 40-45 FPS

But I dont understand one thing, how can a 3630QM/650M perform on the same level as an 4700QM/750M or 4500U/8850M becuse your setup is producing similar FPS

Last edited:
Top Bottom