Is defragmention any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpearl

The Devil
Most people regularly defragment their hard disk, but I don't. People say that it increases performance and life of the hard disk. But in my opinion it does more harm than good.

Consider what benefit you get by defragmenting - just a few milliseconds gain in access time. But in order to make your hard disk's access time a fraction of a second lower you make your hard disk undergo massive disk thrashing for hours!! Some people state that defragmenting lowers disk thrashing by making the file available at one place instead of many places. True, but thats only minor thrashing, for just a couple of seconds or even less than a second, depending upon the size of the file. But to save the hard disk from a few seconds of daily thrashing you make your hard disk go through hours of thrashing - read-move-write;read-move-write .... non stop for hours. Isn't that going to do more harm to your hard disk? Isn't this exessive work out lower the life of your hard disk? Considering what you get in return, a barely noticeable difference in access time, do you think its wise to defragment your hard disk? Maybe 3 times a year would be OK, but certainly not monthly.

I did some search and found some articles that says that defragmenting does not help to improve performance. The only use, if any, of defragmenting is that it helps recover data in the event of a disk crash. None of them said about the disk thrashing part though, thats completely my idea. :)

*www.techbuilder.org/recipes/59201471 said:
While it was true that defragmenting helped older PCs, it no longer applies. Today we have 7200-RPM (rotations per minute) hard-disk drives with improved seek and latency times; many also contain an 8-MB cache buffer. Let's not forget Windows XP's ultra-efficient NTFS (NT File System). For PCs, servers, and workstations equipped with these innovations, defragmenting no longer makes much improvement, if any, to system performance.

*www.pcworld.com/article/id said:
The PC World Test Center's tests reveal that defraggers don't actually improve performance. And Steve Gibson, president of PC consulting firm Gibson Research Corporation, confirmed our findings.

Nevertheless, regular defragging is still a good idea to aid disaster recovery. The more fragmented the files on your drive are, the more likely a disk error is to destroy them.

So what is your opinion?

sakumar79

Technomancer
If your files are defragmented, whenever you have to access a particular file, the computer will have to read from various parts of the disk. During this process, the computer will have to spin the disk back and forth. This will lead to reduced life of the hard disk. By defragging once in a while, you will make sure this process will be reduced. In NTFS partitions, files are less likely to be fragmented, and so, you may need to defragment it less. Basically, the more often you need to access the files in a particular partition, it is healthier to defragment the drive more often.

Arun

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
If u are worried about the time taken for defragging.Use Auslogic disk defrag.
*www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag.shtml

anandk

Distinguished Member
i had come across this much earlier, and am inclined to agree with these findings; nevertheless, out of habit, i guess, and bcoz it is there :D i defrag my disk once every 3 mnths or so.

thanx for such a nice post :)

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
anandk said:
i had come across this much earlier, and am inclined to agree with these findings; nevertheless, out of habit, i guess, and bcoz it is there :D i defrag my disk once every 3 mnths or so.

thanx for such a nice post :)

Actually I defrag too, not out of habit though. I defrag the C drive using O&O Defrag with the setting "Complete/Name". What it does is that it arranges the files alphabetically which helps Windows boot quickly, and it really works. Other than that I rarely defrag. Sometimes after a few months I defrag the drive where I install my s/w or games.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i defrag once in 2-3 months, for me usually the game files get defragmented, not mainly because of gaming, but coz i mess with them:D

when the bigger files (800MB & bigger) get fragmented, i use a less time consuming method, just "cut-paste" it on other partition & then reverse-> "cut-paste" it to original location. this way it gets copied as a contiguus file :wink:

btw i use DiskTrix Ultimate Defragger, its does the defragmenting really Fast.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
very useful... provided ur drive was very fragmented before doin it *img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hehe.. I too hate defragging.. That's why i use Linux! No need for defragging at all!

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
s18000rpm said:
i defrag once in 2-3 months, for me usually the game files get defragmented, not mainly because of gaming, but coz i mess with them:D

when the bigger files (800MB & bigger) get fragmented, i use a less time consuming method, just "cut-paste" it on other partition & then reverse-> "cut-paste" it to original location. this way it gets copied as a contiguus file :wink:

btw i use DiskTrix Ultimate Defragger, its does the defragmenting really Fast.

I have news for you... it doesn't, windows writes to the first available sector/s, so unless you have that much contigous free space at the beginning of the partition, youre just wasting time. Of Course, you could just copy everything and then move them back, but youd require that much free space on another partion and so on, and I fail to understand the concern about the time taken, for me defragging a 60GB partition which is 60% or more full takes about an hour

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i dunno about the sectors, but this method works for me, every time.:D

my game partition is right now has only 15% space. (25GB partition), & yesterday i did the cut-paste thing for a 900MB GTA file, & it worked:wink:

Shasanka_Gogoi

In the zone
If u have a large no. of huge files and have not defragmented for many months than your hard disk will surely undergo massive disk thrashing for hours. But make it a routine to defragment once a week using O & O(trust me its the best) and u would surely notice the performance gain over time.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
There is one program that defragments on the fly. Haven't tried it though, but if it works it would save a lot of time and will be very effective.

*dirms.com/

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Ashampoo Magical Defrag defragments your HD when CPU is idle in background..... it is a very good defragmentor...

goobimama

 Macboy
Defrag is good when there is less RAM in the system. It speeds up the virtual memory performance. But if there is ample amounts of RAM, say above a gig, then I find it to be less of a performance increase...

I don't defrag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom