Is Blackberry PlayBook Still a Good Choice?

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
Blackberry Playbook 64GB is available on Amazon for 11k. Is it still a good deal. I will require this tablet mainly for reading and browsing. I already have my iPhone for my gaming needs. So is the Playbook still a good deal?
It really seems tempting at 11k.

Please Help Guys!!!

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
1) Some reviews say that it will last for around 8Hrs. Isnt that good enough for a Tab?
2) What is the problem with Blackberry Tablet OS?
3) I dont care about apps as i will mainly use it for reading and browsing. Moreover I have heard that android apps can be ported to this.Isnt this right?

Any other good tabs that you can suggest in this range from a respectable brand with good after sales service.I dont want ipad or ipad mini as I already have an iDevice and I dont want another. My Main usage as I told you will be reading and internet browsing.So I will basically need a good screen with a decent storage option. I am also open for windows 8 tablets if there are any available in the market.

deepakkrishnan

Broken In
You will not get any with that storage option at that price, apart from the one mentioned by you. If storage is what u're looking for then get it.

and 8hrs for a tablet is less if you intend it to use it only for reading

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
You will not get any with that storage option at that price, apart from the one mentioned by you. If storage is what u're looking for then get it.

and 8hrs for a tablet is less if you intend it to use it only for reading

Well even if an option is there for sd card slot that works for me...but I need a good screen that's my main concern. 64GB is just an added bonus for me. Most of the tabs in this range are cheap tablets with doubt able after sales service. I dont really like Samsung Tabs as a lot of friends have it and I have seen how laggy they are. Any other options?

deepakkrishnan

Broken In
As I mentioned in that price range there are none.
You can check Nook HD or Nook HD+ ( but price would be the factor )
Then there is nexus 7 but storage would be an issue as 32GB would cost you 17999/-

You don't like samsung hen Tab2 is out of the equation. Hence you options are really limited. :)

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
I don't find Nook available in India.Also kindle is highly overpriced in India. So I believe nexus 7 and playbook are my only options then!!

deepakkrishnan

Broken In
Yes.. NOOK can be tracked through ebay.in but warranty would be an issue

Nexus 7 is really good but expensive compared to what you have selected..
I'll ask you to try Tab2 once .. I mean in a Samsung store.. People do load a lot of junk which might cause the lag .. and you can get the 3G functionality... If you still don't like it then aybe its not for you

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
Yes.. NOOK can be tracked through ebay.in but warranty would be an issue

Nexus 7 is really good but expensive compared to what you have selected..
I'll ask you to try Tab2 once .. I mean in a Samsung store.. People do load a lot of junk which might cause the lag .. and you can get the 3G functionality... If you still don't like it then aybe its not for you

well warranty is the problem or else i would have gone straight to surface pro.
about the tab2 well if the device has 32 GB card slot then at least 16GB card should work fine. My friend has 16Gb class 10 card and still it takes forever to load even though the card is not full, nad this is only one example.Many of my friends have tab2 all having the same problem.
I really dont care about 3G as I have wifi in my home and office also. I rarely activate 3G on my phone let alone the tab. I jyst need a bigger screen mainly because reading is becoming a pain on the phone and I do a lot of reading on my phone, I rarely use my laptop.
Do you know of any good windows 8 tablets in India?

deepakkrishnan

Broken In
None that are cheap . I guess your best bet would be Nexus 7 32GB.. It's an awesome device and amazing for reading as I do own one but with 3G and I too use it for reading and gaming. And the apps I use are Zino, Kindle and Magzter

ankit360

Journeyman
i used playbook for year it's UI is awesome and quick but browser is slow .then i switch to android . UI is Ok but browser speed is fast

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
i used playbook for year it's UI is awesome and quick but browser is slow .then i switch to android . UI is Ok but browser speed is fast
well i did some research about it and i got to know that there is a new browser named Origami Browser which works very well. Have you tried it?
Also what do you think about the overall UI. Like is it laggy or works smooth? Anything else that you can share about the playbook?

ankit360

Journeyman
well i did some research about it and i got to know that there is a new browser named Origami Browser which works very well. Have you tried it?
Also what do you think about the overall UI. Like is it laggy or works smooth? Anything else that you can share about the playbook?

As I said earlier UI is awesome. It's very different than ios & android it's difficult to understand at beginning. It's smooth overall os is good. Reason I switch to android is because 10" screen and more browser choice / application

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
As I said earlier UI is awesome. It's very different than ios & android it's difficult to understand at beginning. It's smooth overall os is good. Reason I switch to android is because 10" screen and more browser choice / application
thnx
any particular cons for this device apart from the lack of apps? Also I have heard that android apps can be ported over to the playbook.Have you tried it?
Also Do I need a blackberry phone also to activate this phone or something like that or does it work straight out of the box?
And does it last for a day with normal usage?

ankit360

Journeyman
thnx
any particular cons for this device apart from the lack of apps? Also I have heard that android apps can be ported over to the playbook.Have you tried it?
Also Do I need a blackberry phone also to activate this phone or something like that or does it work straight out of the box?
And does it last for a day with normal usage?

Apart from app and browser all stuff works brilliant. Yes you can port android app but they won't work perfectly. Some of them even don't work.

Top Bottom