Is aftermarket thermal paste really necessary??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
I have a small doubt regarding CPU thermal paste,Recently my motherboard was replaced under warranty and during that gap my proccy and fan were kept aside in a box.Now my doubt is,is that gonna affect thermal paste in any way and do u really need to apply aftermarket thermal paste again???

My Processor thermal margin is showing 44-45C right now and is in green in intel desktop utilities normally.But occasionally a warning pops out that my proccy thermal margin went below 13C.My guess is that would be a false report since it goes into 40-45 range within no time.
but i want to be sure that I'm not risking anything with my proccy and Do I need to apply thermal paste again.
Alos wanted to what exactly are the benefits of using aftermarket thermal paste apart from cpu running cooler.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
+1.

You better do that..the first thing, before even booting your computer again.

Also use RealTEMP along with Prime95 and get a differential gradient chart, for your CPU temperatures. PLEASE do this after putting new TIM.

OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
yes. thermal paste need to be applied if the heatsink is detached and it's a must!
Anna suggest some along with their price,also availability at S.P. Road
Is anything alarming in that screen shots??
Is stock C2D heatsink enough for normal use??No overclocking

@asigh
are u running @4ghz on stock cooler,heard E8400 can be overclocked to 4Ghz on stock cooler

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Get Coolermaster Fusion for RS 350-400. Has no settle in period.

Am running it on a Hyper 212 HSF with the above TIM.

Cannot make out your screen shots. Post a screen shot of the diagnostic I suggested. Will let you know.

Stock HSF is good enough for NON-OC. But the TIM should still be there, to insure integral mating of the HSF and CPU header. Doubt you can push the E8400 to 4 Ghz on stock. Too much vCore will go in. Immense heat. Its risky.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Anna suggest some along with their price,also availability at S.P. Road
Is anything alarming in that screen shots??
Is stock C2D heatsink enough for normal use??No overclocking

@asigh
are u running @4ghz on stock cooler,heard E8400 can be overclocked to 4Ghz on stock cooler

no need for aftermarket cooler if you are not overclocking and the stock cooler should do well for small overclock.

follow asigh's suggestion for thermal paste.

some shops there will try to give you 50 rupee local made thermal pastes and say that branded ones are unavailable. don't fall for that.

OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
oops ran sensor test and suddenly proccy temp rose to 100C and IDU started showing pop ups that proccy margin went below 13 and was continuously blinking in red.
Oh no I should have read your post clearly:p,I did this on stock TIM

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@asigh
downloaded both,now which tests should I run??

1. Launch RealTEMP.
2. Via Setting set TjMax to 90
3. Click on sensor test.
4. Show the Application the Prime95 EXE. (It will ask for it).
5. Choose 2 worker threads.
6. Let it run till the end. You will get a temperature log on the RealTEMP front end.
7. Post a screen shot of that.
8. Keep Task Manager Open.

Keep a close watch. If you get an over heat signal (like you were before), immediately make a screen shot of Prime95 (I want to see the threshold), and kill RealTEMP and Prime95 via tax manager.

Please do not run the above, and walk away. You will need to monitor.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
oops ran sensor test and suddenly proccy temp rose to 100C and IDU started showing pop ups that proccy margin went below 13 and was continuously blinking in red.
Oh no I should have read your post clearly:p,I did this on stock TIM

Guess you typed this, while I was typing the above.

See if you can make a screen shot.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
:)

Actually do not run it. The way you described, your temperature shot up too fast. Keep this post as a bookmark, and do what I suggested once the TIM is installed and the HSF re mounted.

Clean the CPU and HSF contact surfaces lightly with Isopropyl Alcohol. Let it dry, then mount. Spread the TIM thinly over the CPU header.

Post back once all this is done, we can then take it forward. Till you do not have the new TIM placed, try not to stress the system (gaming, encoding).

Best of luck...!

OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Well yes temp is shooting up to 100 within secs of starting the test:shock:*img21.imageshack.us/img21/6272/captureut.th.png,is that alarming or normal??

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Yes this is really bad.

1. Your HSF is 100% not seated correctly.
2. TIM needs to be applied.

You seriously made this screen shot a few seconds after starting the Sensor test.

What have you set TjMax too..?

Last edited:
OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
^^
Yes this is really bad.

1. Your HSF is 100% not seated correctly.
2. TIM needs to be applied.
Thank god at least I realized somethings wrong with my proccy temps early.
I mean not during the tests,but after fixing it back just a few days ago,If this is the case then I guess i've been running like this for a year now!!!!
coz my proccy and heat sink were removed even before this,i.e last time when my mobo went kaput some 1yr ago.

You seriously made this screen shot a few seconds after starting the Sensor test.
Is that a question or expression:?:

OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
First time I ran it on defaults and temps were 100 within just a sec or two.

then I changed max tj to 90 and ran test again,the screen shot was after second attempt,again temps were max within seconds

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^

ok..thanks..

Just do not stress the system. Be very gentle with it. Do what we all suggested. And run the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom