ipod touch 2g 8GB enough??

aman2645

Right off the assembly line
i have an option of picking up a new ipod touch 2g 8GB which retails for $229 or a refurbished ipod touch 1g 16GB for $219 on apple site.
which one will be a better option.
i mean 2g has inbuilt speaker and volume controller and sleek design.
i have a question whether 8gb space is sufficient for average use.
like storing 500 songs 4-5 movies and apps if jailbroken.

how much space does each movie take up which has been properly encoded for the 3.5 inch screen of the ipod/iphone.
is it around 500MB or 1GB

i used to drag drop files on my zen vision m without any encoding and they used to take up 700mb and where at 640x480 resolutions.
so that way it should be about 500MB at 480x360 resolutions.i am a complete noob about encoding.

Last edited:

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
The applications are small 500 songs would cost 3 GB @ 196kbps the movies are 700 mb (aprox ) high quality (.mp4) (MPEG4) u can get 400-300 MB if converted with H.264 .

THe apps are small 1 GB should be enuf .

OP
A

aman2645

Right off the assembly line
so should i pick up 8gb or 16 gb.

actually i was sceptical about the fact that games for ipod touch like asphalt or gts racing are actually 100+ MB in size.
so i wont be able to fit many in 2gb space left after movies and songs are stored in it.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
I would say go for the old 16 Gig. Its actually slimmer, just doesn't have rounded edges. Plus, its back is less scratch prone. The volume rocker is a nifty improvement, but one I'm sure is not worth the 8GB capacity drop.

twisted_mind

Broken In
I get filesizes approx 480mb on converting 700mb movies. 8Gb sounds enough given the requirements stated by the OP. I have 4Gb of songs, 3 movies each around 480mb, tons of "ahem" apps, games and still have almost a gig left on my jailbroken iPhone 3G. Btw, if u can extend ur budget, get the 32gb touch. If your music collection grows significantly in future, you'd have room available then.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
so should i pick up 8gb or 16 gb.

actually i was sceptical about the fact that games for ipod touch like asphalt or gts racing are actually 100+ MB in size.
so i wont be able to fit many in 2gb space left after movies and songs are stored in it.

8GB would be too less for ipod touch if you watch lot of movies and are interested in installing many apps. There is no 16Gb ipod touch in current gen. next is 32Gig which costs around 15k. Go for it. and do NOT get older gen touch as they may not get some features of iphone OS 4 like multitasking.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
oh. goddamnit. this thread came up in bold so responded. Sorry guys! he might even have dumped it by now :)

Top Bottom