iPod not recognized on computer, appears as removable drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallywacker

Right off the assembly line
I bought an iPod from a friend a few days ago, its an older one with no color, but has the single click wheel button.

So I tried to bring it to one of my friends houses to put some songs on it and it wouldnt show up on the left, and when you look for the iPod in my computer it shows up as removable drive. So we followed the steps on the apple website and the last thing it said to do was to resotre it to facotry settings.

So eventually that was able to happen, all the music was erased from the iPod, and the name and everything else was also erased. But the iPod still doesnt show up on the computer. It says I need to update the iPod, but when I go to the iPod updater it just sits there with 'intializing' as it fucntion, never moving.

All my friends have no trouble with their iPod, then when i plug mine in, it wont recognize it. Anyone ever have a similar problem, what did you do?

The last thing I think I am going to try is to bring it to a computer that has never had iTunes or an iPod and try and install it that way. Anyone else have any other ideas. Please respond.

Thank You.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
ipod will be detected as a removable drive... u can copy paste files. but it wont show while playing. ofcourse u can use this method to trasfer files from one comp to other..but thats it.

to play files and make them detect in ipod, u need to do the trasfer via itunes.

well thats jsut my personal experience. i have heard they format ipods and u can make them work windows way...but dunno abt that..also in that process u might end up damaging ur ipod.

itunes shud solve the problem

best luck.

theraven

Technomancer
use the ipod formattin and restore utility provided with ur ipod
basically u need to falsh its firmware again ... and make sure u have itunes installed before u insert it after the flash .

u seem to have corrupted the firmware else if itunes is installed it shuld automatically start if the ipod is plugged in and detected.

goobimama

 Macboy
You will need iTunes to transfer songs to your iPod. If you want to transfer to and fro, then use the iPod plugin for winamp...

kanak

Right off the assembly line
goobimama said:
You will need iTunes to transfer songs to your iPod. If you want to transfer to and fro, then use the iPod plugin for winamp...

Or if you use Foobar, then you can use the excellent foo_pod plugin.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Best tips are available on apple website. They have solution for almost every problem that you may face with your iPod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom