iPhone turns grey in Mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iPhone turns grey in Mumbai
Dean Williams
Sunday, October 07, 2007 04:55 IST

The iPhone is selling in large numbers in the city, where the phone has been unlocked and ready for use

Before it ever became a reality, the iPhone was the Holy Grail for technophiles across the globe. Then on June 29, 2007, Sir Apple rode in and unveiled its iPhone to the world. But the future came at a price and it was $599 (Rs23,648): the cost for the 8GB version of the phone.

By September 5, of this year, Apple had slashed the price of its 8GB model to $399 (Rs15,752) and dropped the 4GB version from its line-up altogether. Until a few months ago, Mumbaikars were told they would have to wait till 2008 before they could get their mitts on this marvel of modern technology.

The powers that be, however, did not count on the grey market: iPhones are selling like proverbial hotcakes in the city.

“I’m planning to buy an iPhone. I was saving up for a PDA, but now I’ve been told that the price has fallen, and that I can get an unlocked phone for less than Rs30,000,” says businessman Manoj Rathode.

And he most certainly can. A trip to Heera Panna in Tardeo saw iPhones peering out of the windows of almost every electronics shop. The prices ranged from Rs29,500 to Rs28,000 for the 8GB model. “We don’t usually stock the 4GB model [which retails for about Rs24,000] as everybody wants to buy the 8GB model, the difference is only Rs4,000,” said one shopkeeper.

Another stated that the stock he ordered three days ago (10 8GBs and four 4GBs) had sold out and he was awaiting the next shipment. The volume of phones being sold is rising steadily. Every shopkeeper we spoke to claimed to have sold more than 50 iPhones in the last two weeks. If we add up the number of shops we spoke to — six — that would make more than 300 iPhones sold in a fortnight and that’s just from one mall.

Keep in mind the iPhone is not scheduled to officially launch in the country till next year. But not everyone has bought their iPhones in India. Lalit Modi, vice president of the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) purchased his from the US: “I bought the unlocking code online so I could use it in India,” he says. Read more...

[Via Daily News & Anaysis]

Damn! :mad:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Well I didnt follow iPhone unlocked story carefully but neway can anyone tell me how the SIM is replaced. :p or is it reprogrammed? :p iPhone is supposed to be fully sealed right? :oops:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i think Apple should release it early, we can't wait for 1 year
lets see even i might buy this phone, but only when is it released officially:)

then it will be my first apple product:)

faraaz

Evil Genius
LG KU990 Viewty for me...this phone is so damn sweet...and costs the same as iPhone...

Check it out!
*www.gsmarena.com/lg_ku990_viewty-2070.php

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The name sure sucks though. Imagine telling someone you have a "Viewty"! How do you pronounce that without sounding like a complete dork? Ugh!

Charan said:
can anyone tell me how the SIM is replaced. or is it reprogrammed? :p iPhone is supposed to be fully sealed right? :oops:
No, it isn't. There's a tiny hole on the top (the kind that you have on devices that resets it to the factory defaults) that you have to push in with the help of a pin or something. Once you do that, a tiny tray bearing the SIM card will pop out. Replace the SIM and push it back in. Easy. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
aryayush said:
No, it isn't. There's a tiny hole on the top (the kind that you have on devices that resets it to the factory defaults) that you have to push in with the help of a pin or something. Once you do that, a tiny tray bearing the SIM card will pop out. Replace the SIM and push it back in. Easy. :)

Thanks for informing :)

mediator

Technomancer
faraaz said:
LG KU990 Viewty for me...this phone is so damn sweet...and costs the same as iPhone...

Check it out!
*www.gsmarena.com/lg_ku990_viewty-2070.php
5 MP! :shock: How much does it cost?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
30k for a phone which I cannot use without iTunes, can't install software, can't record videos...relies heavily on EDGE...No thanx

W960i FTW

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
its better to tell a relative or friend to send it and then u unlock it makes it 20k

mediator

Technomancer
Yeah looks wonderful and 5MP.....man with the budget I have I think I'll go with N73 ME or something nicer if any!

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
iMav said:
^^ and that also has a workaround

Yes. Everytime, apple locks the phone, wait for someone to put unlock kit on the web. It will be frustrating experience. Better way is to wait till it's launched in India.

faraaz

Evil Genius
A more relevant link, comparing the iPhone to the LG KU990, just so the fanboys can get the mindless drooling over iBrick out of their system...

*www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=1827&idPhone1=2070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom