iPhone OS 3.0 Coming June 17 for Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's coming next week!

We first learned about the new iPhone OS 3.0 on St. Patrick’s Day, and it showed that Apple was intent on keeping both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G relevant with new features such as landscape keyboard, MMS, Spotlight universal search, among others.

Much of what’s new in the upcoming iPhone OS 3.0 was detailed in this past article, so click here to read it again.

The news of the day is that the software will be available worldwide and free to all current iPhone owners on June 17. iPod Touch owners will be able to upgrade for $9.95.

While the software will be out on June 17, not all mobile carriers will be supporting all of the new features. 29 carriers will be supporting MMS when the software launches next week, but oddly enough, AT&T isn’t one of them. Apple said that AT&T will support iPhone MMS “later this summer.”

Another thing that Apple unveiled was that the iPhone would also tether to a PC or Mac via either USB or Bluetooth. 22 carriers would be supporting tethering at launch, but AT&T was notably absent from the list.

Of course, nothing will run the new iPhone software better than the upcoming iPhone 3GS, but OS 3.0 is a pretty sweet ‘free’ upgrade for all existing iPhone users.

Source : *www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-os-3.0-3gs-apple,news-4047.html

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
gr8 news,

but about the Indian Prices.. will they be again sky high unlike rest of the world.

I doubt we can get 99$ => Rs.5,000 an iphone . I wish. :(

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
^^ Where you have to pay 70$ = rs. 3.5k every month for data plan or monthly rental for 2 years :D ..

dd_wingrider

In the zone
^^^ not to that extent :) but yes we can expect some changes in the prices until unless vodafone and airtel don't give a damn about iPhone sales at all, which they are doing currently.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Yup, that's very true. When iphone was launched in US for $199 I was thinking of getting one in here as I thought the price will be under 10K. But when it launched in here
I had to change my mind.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
iPhone OS 3.0 Available as Torrent

Somehow Apple's "golden master" of the iPhone OS 3.0 has found its way into the torrent network.

Gizmodo is reporting that Apple's upcoming iPhone OS 3.0 (7a341) is now available as a torrent, and after loading up a few torrent search engines to verify its existence, the report is definitely true. As seen on Mininova and other sites, Apple's "golden master" weighs in around 230.1 MB and, according to Gizmodo, actually works! The "golden master" is the actual build used at WWDC'09 as well as the build Apple plans to distribute next week.

Gizmodo goes on to list instructions on how to actually install the downloaded operating system. The process seems rather simple: load up iTunes and synchronize the device. After backing up the previously installed system and all the stored/installed content, consumers press the ALT key (Mac) or SHIFT key (PC) and click on the restore button. Users than select the "disk image" located in the torrent download folder. Overall, the procedure seemed to take around 45 minutes, covering the installation process, restoring previous data, copying and updating applications, and transferring songs back to the device.

Gizmodo claims that the new operating system works without any glitches, although the whole sketchy procedure may be more trouble than its worth. Naturally, many Apple consumers are anxiously waiting for the software, their yearning based on the new features alone, however downloading software by way of torrent has proven disastrous in the past. Months ago, a torrented version of Apple's iWork '09 offered more than just the new office suite, but a nasty virus that infected thousands of Mac computers. The same holds true with a recent build of Windows 7 and Adobe's Creative Suite 4.

While the torrent looks tempting, consumers should avoid the file altogether and wait until next week when the new operating system appears on iTunes. iPod Touch 2G consumers should steer away from torrent files as well, and just fork out the $9.99 for the system upgrade

Source : *www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-iphone-torrent,news-4056.html

So if you want to enjoy it now & willing to wait :p

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
^^ Where you have to pay 70$ = rs. 3.5k every month for data plan or monthly rental for 2 years :D ..
Dude I know .. but the Tariff rates are not the same in here, I pay around 1.2k permonth for that. so its not same thing.
even if I consider that. . still you just take the price of unlock iphone that too is overpriced.
if they are giving iphone (locked) in 99$, then unlock is for 199$ or 230$.. then still it wont be for Rs.9552 or Rs.11,040 taking @48per$ Current rate .. at that price it beats LG cookie or Samsung Star. but they are idiots that not pricing it right in india.
and the new generation.. iphone 3GS that also should be like what atleast compitively prices against Nokia or HTC.. but then I know that wont happen

^^ Yup, that's very true. When iphone was launched in US for $199 I was thinking of getting one in here as I thought the price will be under 10K. But when it launched in here
I had to change my mind.
Same here, I wanted to buy it, I knew that it wont come to 10k atleast since at that time, but may be 12k, or 14k or 16k may be, but not double they priced it Three times the cost, WTF .. So, I couldnt..

Its true that Airtel and Vodafone have price ithe iphone so high that the sales are low in India. Its not at equillibrium, demand is high, but the price is so outrageously high nobody wanted to buy it even after the launch of the iphone in india and a year has passed.

Considering 199$ for the new version.. unlock shall be for what?
and When can we see it in grey market in Delhi?

jain_pranav

Broken In
I'm desparately waiting for the 3.0 OS..
rite nw i have 2 use bunch of external softwares..
Apple finaly applying them in the firmwares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom