iPhone 3Gs developing cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitava82

MMO Addict
In what appears to be an increasingly common problem, hairline cracks are beginning to form on Apple's new iPhone 3G. While most of the cracks are reportedly affecting the white model, this is likely due to the increased visibility of the dark fracture on the white case as opposed to any differences in materials between the white and black units. At the moment, the issue seems largely cosmetic and doesn't appear to interfere with the operation of the phone. Now bust out the magnifying glass and let us know if you're seeing the same.

*img375.imageshack.us/img375/7469/dsc0159qa3.jpg

Update: Reader Darius shows off a whisker crack on his kid-glove handled black iPhone 3G with the help of some blue lighting -- meow. See it after the break.
Ctrl+C

I dunno what kinda quality testing Apple has done. Looks like Apple is in trouble.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ouch. Thats a huge Quality standard blow. It seems that Apple has been having crack issues for quite awhile especially on all of their products.
I'm not sure how credible this source is so don't stab me if you find it lacking.
Source

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I knew the plastic back was going to be a problem.

@FilledVoid,
No, they’ve only been having crack issues with MacBooks.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Isn't this a mistake by Foxconn, who manufactured those shells.

There are thousands of phones out there (nokias, samsungs etc) that have plastic shell and still pretty strong.

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ None of them are done in those smooth curves which is why these things are getting cracks on them. I don't know why oh why they moved from Aluminium to this crappy plastic. It was bound to create problems.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
@FilledVoid,
No, they’ve only been having crack issues with MacBooks.
Thanks for clearing that. Can't you get them replaced if this happens though :D. Or do they put the blame on the customer?

Isn't this a mistake by Foxconn, who manufactured those shells.
Customers barely care who made parts for whatever company comes out with a product. IOf you come out with a Product A and then something like this happens you can't just weasel your way out saying Foxconn or some other company made it.

goobimama

 Macboy
Thanks for clearing that. Can't you get them replaced if this happens though . Or do they put the blame on the customer?
Yep, they send replacement shells unlimited number of times.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You take it in and they replace the casing. No questions asked. They even replaced my MacBook Pro’s keyboard keys because the colour wore off on some of them after having used it for two years.

I don't know why oh why they moved from Aluminium to this crappy plastic.
I do. The plastic shell allows for much better reception.

Pat

Beyond Smart
You take it in and they replace the casing. No questions asked. They even replaced my MacBook Pro’s keyboard keys because the colour wore off on some of them after having used it for two years.

Thats pretty cool then :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Yep, they send replacement shells unlimited number of times.
Now that is what you would expect of a Quality company :).

goobimama

 Macboy
And any idea how it would work for iPhones ?
What I meant was Apple Bangalore sends replacement shells to the Apple store in Goa. There one takes the MacBook and gets the shell replaced by professionals. I'm sure in the case of iPhone one has to take it to an Imagine store or Vodafone store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom