iPhone 3G: everything you ever wanted to know (but were afraid to ask)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, although his statistic is stupid, there’s no doubt that for a lot of people, showing off is also a major consideration when purchasing any cool product (me, for example) and there are also those who purchase products entirely to show them off.

There are people in both of the above categories who have showing off in mind when purchasing the iPhone (and most other Apple products). Like I said, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
As for myself i dont regard the iphone as a showoff material..it is a breaktrough in terms of technology.Now that Iphone has done it, everyone is trying to copy it.If thats not a breaktrough, nothing is. No one here is boasting of the trchnical aspects of the iphone. The iphone has a feel good factor and just like the ipod has revolutionised the music industry, iphone follows suit.

Daresay theres no mobile in the present market that can challenge the iphone in terms of looks or UI..except maybe SE.. :D

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yes, although his statistic is stupid, there’s no doubt that for a lot of people, showing off is also a major consideration when purchasing any cool product (me, for example) and there are also those who purchase products entirely to show them off.

There are people in both of the above categories who have showing off in mind when purchasing the iPhone (and most other Apple products). Like I said, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it.

Indirectly, you have accepted that the stat is true. LOL.

reality is always sour to accept :)

and btw, People buy stuff to use and not to show off (unlike few brainless people who buy inferior stuff to showoff).

It's okay man. Now, I understand why you support apple so much. Their products are good for showoff and are worthy nothing more than that (just like their owners).

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Indirectly, you have accepted that the stat is true. LOL.

reality is always sour to accept :)

and btw, People buy stuff to use and not to show off (unlike few brainless people who buy inferior stuff to showoff).

It's okay man. Now, I understand why you support apple so much. Their products are good for showoff and are worthy nothing more than that (just like their owners).
Seriously, if you were any slower, you’d be walking backwards.

--------------------

You guys might be interested in this article as well. :)

Last edited:
OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
if there was no show off motorola would not have existed :lol:

Yep. They moved from creating great working mobile phones to cute mobile phones and look where they are now, thinking whether to keep the mobile phone division or to sell it. On the other hand look at the market leader Nokia. They maintain a separate segment "luxury phone" like vertu and sirocco. These phones are only good for show off and Nokia keeps them away from their standard lineup of phones.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Their market share fell by 10% and in two years they will be behind every major mobile phone manufacturer.

Their profits are gone(billion dollar loss), losing big chunks of market share, not a single good model that can compete with SE or Nokia.

Motorola mobile phone division is going towards shutdown (at the current rate).

Moto phones in a billion dollar loss : *www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/23/motorola_q42007_earnings/

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iPhone 3G: The "Total Cost of Ownership" Argument

News Type: Event — Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:58 PM EDT​
Brian Ford

So, Apple announces the iPhone 3G (does that make the 1st Generation iPhone the 1G iPhone or the iPhone 2.5G and is the iPhone 3G the 2G iPhone 3G?) and alongside the new look, the new software and other improvements, a svelte-looking Steve Jobs confirmed early reports that the price would drop to an unbelievable $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model.

Predictably, the price drop is due to a new subsidy deal with AT&T, as noted in this recent CNET article:
But the new deal comes at a price. AT&T executives said on a conference call with analysts and investors on Monday that the arrangement will put pressure on the company's profit margins and dilute earnings for the next year and a half. That said, the company believes that the new price point and improved Web surfing experience of the iPhone on AT&T's 3G wireless network will drive sales of the iPhone and get more customers using its data services. SOURCE
An update toward the end of the same article makes note of a concern that has been dominating the technology blog circuit for the past week or so, starting from about t-minus one second after Jobs announced the price drop: Due to the upgraded 3G network, AT&T will no longer offer iPhone specific service plans, and (gasp!) data service rates will go up by a minimum of $10 a month. As a result, the total cost of ownership of an iPhone 3G will ultimately go up over the course of a two-year contract when compared to a 1G iPhone utilizing the slower EDGE network. To add insult to injury, 200 text messages will set you back another $5 a month. Read more…

[Via Newsvine]

This article is only for the mentally unchallenged people out here though, so you might skip it if you do not consider yourself one among that group. In particular, I want to point out the last few words (though the whole article makes a lot of sense too):
AT&T’s service plan for 3G Data is in-line with just about every other provider, when compared to their high-speed offerings. There’s also that AT&T is charging their standard rate for a 3G data package, and would have charged the extra $10 with or without the subsidy.

That $160? It could have been $460.
Earlier, since AT&T wasn’t subsidising the price of the phone, got to be the exclusive carrier, didn’t have a proper 3G network in place and the iPhone didn’t do 3G anyway, they were offering iPhone users the data plan cheaper at $20 per month. Rest of AT&T’s customers paid $30 per month. Now that they have 3G set up and iPhone users will be utilising it the most, they’ve just upped it to match what all their other customers have always been paying. I don’t see anything wrong anywhere with that.

Like Brian Ford said, “That $160? It could have been $460.”

Think about it. (Again, only the mentally unchallenged people need to reply. I know what the responses from others will be.)

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Re: iPhone 3G: The "Total Cost of Ownership" Argument

News Type: Event — Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:58 PM EDT​
Brian Ford

So, Apple announces the iPhone 3G (does that make the 1st Generation iPhone the 1G iPhone or the iPhone 2.5G and is the iPhone 3G the 2G iPhone 3G?) and alongside the new look, the new software and other improvements, a svelte-looking Steve Jobs confirmed early reports that the price would drop to an unbelievable $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model.

Predictably, the price drop is due to a new subsidy deal with AT&T, as noted in this recent CNET article:An update toward the end of the same article makes note of a concern that has been dominating the technology blog circuit for the past week or so, starting from about t-minus one second after Jobs announced the price drop: Due to the upgraded 3G network, AT&T will no longer offer iPhone specific service plans, and (gasp!) data service rates will go up by a minimum of $10 a month. As a result, the total cost of ownership of an iPhone 3G will ultimately go up over the course of a two-year contract when compared to a 1G iPhone utilizing the slower EDGE network. To add insult to injury, 200 text messages will set you back another $5 a month. Read more…

[Via Newsvine]

This article is only for the mentally unchallenged people out here though, so you might skip it if you do not consider yourself one among that group. In particular, I want to point out the last few words (though the whole article makes a lot of sense too):Earlier, since AT&T wasn’t subsidising the price of the phone, got to be the exclusive carrier, didn’t have a proper 3G network in place and the iPhone didn’t do 3G anyway, they were offering iPhone users the data plan cheaper at $20 per month. Rest of AT&T’s customers paid $30 per month. Now that they have 3G set up and iPhone users will be utilising it the most, they’ve just upped it to match what all their other customers have always been paying. I don’t see anything wrong anywhere with that.

Like Brian Ford said, “That $160? It could have been $460.”

Think about it. (Again, only the mentally unchallenged people need to reply. I know what the responses from others will be.)

CRAP!!!!!

So desperately trying to defent another CRAP. Whatever you do, however you say, whatever you say, any sane person here is NOT going to LISTEN TO YOU and would NEVER EVER BUY IPHONE because they know that they never rely on suggestions given by people like you who go to any level to defend inferior products.

We all know that this crappy product is not at all worth the stupid contract of two years or for the insane TCO.

If I have to pay 30$ montly rental, I would rather get Samsung Instinct or Nokia N95 or SE P1i instead of iphone. We all know that they do LOT MORE THAN what the Apple iSHIT can do.

So, cut the crap!!!!!!

Anyways, I have a question for you. Are you always like this, as an ignorant apple fanboy???

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Calm down, man. I can almost feel you hyperventilating from out here. Have a glass of water and take deep, steady breaths. Go and sit with someone elder to you for a few minutes, maybe. Let it all out in front of them and don’t be ashamed if a few tears escape your eyes.

Yes, the iPhone is a poor product. It sucks. Keep chanting that if it makes you feel better.

Just don’t pass out or anything, OK? Take care, man.

(I did advise him not to read it, so no one can blame me if something happens to him, though I hope and pray nothing does.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom