Status
Not open for further replies.

digen

Youngling
For win98 & the like type at the run prompt,
start>run>winipcfg

For windows 2k & the lot type,
start>run>cmd>ipconfig/all

EDIT:Seems my post above was a bit confusing,ipconfig will work under OS's above win95 & the rest but winipcfg wont work under xp.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
@sourabh- with your technique this is what i got:
Code:
Ethernet adapter NET:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
this is my dynamic ip..... the class of the ip is also an internal one..... the real ip is revealed at the site below:
*whatismyip.com/

babumuchhala

In the zone
Well guys i got a query.
I got Sify Narrowband where i had mannually configured my ip to
Code:
10.10.xxx.xxx
All the utilities in the net show my ip as
Code:
202.172.xxx.xxx

Why this difference guys

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
The 10.10.xxx.xxx is a private IP addressing scheme. Which means that its for use in internal networks and not for use on the Internet. The range of private IP addresses for use in internal networks that are not visible to the computers on the Internet are:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

EDIT: I had made a mistake earlier and thanks to digen, I have that corrected. I would also like to mention that in the absence of a DHCP server to assign addresses in a Windows environment, the IP addresses in the range of 169.254.0.0 -169.254.255.255 are used as Automatic Private IP Addressing or APIPA. Apologies to everyone! :D (Thanks to digen)

However, the proxy/NAT server at your ISP notes the request your computer is making to thinkdigit.com (130.94.75.250) and then it uses its own IP address, the 202.172.xxx.xxx:pN (where PN is the port number) to make a request to the thinkdigit.com site. When the site replies to your ISPs 202.172.xxx.xxx address, the NAT server recognizes that your computer on the internal network (10.10.xxx.xxx) made the request to thinkdigit.com and sends the data over to your computer. Hope you understood how this works! :D

digen

Youngling
^Apart from what he has posted, for multiple connections for the same external IP,NAT makes use of port numbers & IP address mapping.The socket pair[binding of a IP address & a port number] is stored in the NAT table for the entire session.
This helps it in understanding where the packets should flow.
Oh btw unrequested traffic is usually blocked which is some sort of protection.So for ex. if a application tries initiating/establishing a connection with a specific IP port mapping inside of the LAN,the request is terminated unless you purposefully manage to accept connections by port forwarding etc.

digen

Youngling
enoonmai said:
The 10.10.xxx.xxx is a private IP addressing scheme. Which means that its for use in internal networks and not for use on the Internet. Its called the Automatic Private IP Addressing or APIPA. The range of private IP addresses for use in internal networks that are not visible to the computers on the Internet are:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
Dude but afaik APIPA is the address range between 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255.
Agreed its a private range but its only used when there is no DHCP server & if the host cannot attain a IP address either due to renewal failure,DHCP server problem etc.Thats why the name automatic private IP addressing.
The rest of the address ranges that you've mentioned over there are simpy known as "private addresses".Thats what I got from recalling the IP addressing chapter from CCNA study.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@digen: Yes, you're exactly right. I made a mistake. I must've been dozing real bad when I typed that. LOL, must get my brain checked. :D I edited and corrected it thanks to you. :D

digen

Youngling
LOL no problems dude,but instead of getting your brain checked ask the doctors to check your fingers only. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom