INTEL vs GIGABITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsnayvid

Journeyman
I am willing to buy PIV 3.0 / 3.2 Ghz.
I am unable to decide wether I should go for Intel Motherboard or Gigabite 915 board reviewed by digit.

Please suggest.

Secondly which brand RAM shold I purchase??

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Stay with Asus, you will be much happier.

Trust me Gigabyte after sales support isnt great, Asus is good.
With Asus you get overclocking options if you plan to OC in the future.

Asus offers more features over Intel Original boards.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
as darklord said Asus boards are the bst for intel processors .. u get loads of features and they come with a 3 years warranty and good support (from rashi periperals all over india) ... in gigabyte both availability and service is the problem though they make quality boards.. which chipset are u planning to go for ? and for ram go for kingston/corsair/zion etc (depending on ur budget).

imjimmy

Broken In
I am planning to get a new system with the mobo and CPU...

Intel 915 GAV mobo + Intel p4 530 3.0 GHz HT..

Can someone tell me how good is the intel org..915 GAV..?

Is Asus is better - what is the complete name and specs ..

I am mainly looking for good sound quality and the performance in the mobo..

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@imjimmy
will u be buying a separate grafix card or u want to use the onboard gpu ? asus boards have more features than intel ones and also perform better at times and give u lots of overclocking n cooling options.

if u want to use the onboard gpu , go for ASUS P5GD1-VM . it has 8ch onboard audio.

also what ram are u going to buy ? ddr or ddr2 ?

imjimmy

Broken In
thanks for ure reply..

will u be buying a separate grafix card or u want to use the onboard gpu

I will want to use the onboard gpu since i do not play many games and don't do overtly grpahic intensive apps.

also what ram are u going to buy ? ddr or ddr2 ?

I am going for DDR mainly bcoz of cost. Looking for 2*256 DDR 400 or 2*512 DDR 400.. Can you recommend a brand plz..

if u want to use the onboard gpu , go for ASUS P5GD1-VM . it has 8ch onboard audio.

Thanks for the mobo name. Any idea about the approx market price of this board.

The intel d915 GAV is INR 6500.. I went thru intel's site and this mobo is supposed to have AlC 860 8 Channel audio and GMA 900 for some onboard graphics.. (maybe low end games mite work...)

BUt i guess if the ASUS board is better i will go for that..

mohit

The Hardware Labs
the onboard intel gma 900 is good enough for low end games and even high end games at a very low resolution.. so good for u as u r not much of a gamer. the price of the ASUS P5 GD 1VM should be around 6-7k (not really sure though) ... and for ddr memory go for kingston/corsair/zion whichever suits ur budget.. i am using kingston and its good. buy 2*512 mb which will give excellent perfomance. it shud cost around 6,000/- for 2 * 512 mb modules of ddr 400 mhz frm kingston.

imjimmy

Broken In
Thanks a lot for the reply..

I'm going for Kingston DDR 400 2*512..(I hope there are no other subcategories in the RAM(distinctions based on the latency time etc etc).. WIll Kingston DDR 400 512MB suffice?

As for the mobo i asked my local dealer and he says that the Intel 915 GAV is for INR 5700.
The ASUS P5 GD VM , he said he would get if after a few days but it wud be INR 7500..

So i wanted to ask you whether it's worth spending INR 2000 extra for this ASUS board.. IS it really that much better than the Intel....

mohit

The Hardware Labs
no yaar its not worth the extra 2k ... i am using the intel orig d915gav and the only prob with this board is a single ide slot which means u can connect only 2 optical drives provided u use a sata hdd and only a single drive if u use a pata hdd... just make sure u buy a sata hdd and go for this board yaar.. no issues with it. and plus u r not a gamer , no that asus is not really required. sorry for the wrong sugstion previously but i dint know the exact price difference between the boards.

and ya one advice .. i think ur dealer is charging more for both the boards.. reconfirm the prices and get them frm elsewhere also.

imjimmy

Broken In
tHat sure was a lot of help..

However.

... i am using the intel orig d915gav and the only prob with this board is a single ide slot which means u can connect only 2 optical drives provided u use a sata hdd and only a single drive if u use a pata hdd

I have a Sony Cd writer , 80 GB Samsung PATA HDD. Getting a Benq 1640 DW DVD writer and a Seagate 160 GB SATA.. I need to connect all these on this new motherboard.. Will this not be possible..

and ya one advice .. i think ur dealer is charging more for both the boards.. reconfirm the prices and get them frm elsewhere also.

Regarding the price..i will enquire somewhere else ..but i am sure there is a price difference of atleast 1.5 K b/w the 2 boards..

Thanks,

mohit

The Hardware Labs
I have a Sony Cd writer , 80 GB Samsung PATA HDD. Getting a Benq 1640 DW DVD writer and a Seagate 160 GB SATA.. I need to connect all these on this new motherboard.. Will this not be possible..

u will not be able to connect all the 3 IDE devices at once as this mobo has only 1 IDE slot. u will be able to cnnect ur 160 gb sata along with 2 devices of ur choice. there are more than enough SATA ports on this board around 4 i think. U can get a PCI-IDE connector if available but i dont recommend it. Y dont u chuck ur old PATA hdd ? 160 Gb sata is more than enough.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
how much is the price difference between SATA and PATA 80 GB Drives??

Considering Kingston 512 MB 400 RAM
and INtel m/b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom