Intel reveals the new Broadwell architecture.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like my plans for upgrading my PC will have to wait till next year.

*media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/09/Broadwell-CPU-Intel.jpg

The successor to Intel’s Haswell CPU technology, “Broadwell”, has been revealed and shown working here at the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco. The chip is built using a whole new production process that shrinks Haswell’s 22nm transistors down to 14nm. That is tiny.

As you can see from the side-by-side comparison between the low-power Haswell and Broadwell systems-on-a-chip (SoC) in the picture above, there’s a big difference in actual size, and because Intel are using their very latest production methods on this new CPU it also should be a good deal less power-hungry than it’s older brother.

They showed a development platform running working Broadwell silicon right next to a Haswell machine, both using CPU intensive benchmark Cinebench. The Haswell chip ran at an impressively low 6.8W under load, but Broadwell managed just 4.9W. Intel are saying that’s without even doing much power optimisation on this new processor either, which ought to mean even greater power reductions once they’ve finalised the platform. They don’t have long to do that though as new Intel CEO, Brian Krzanich, has Broadwell shipping to their partners in just a few short months.

“This is it, folks,” he said. “14nm is absolutely a reality, it’s absolutely coming to a PC near you and we’ll see it in product next year.”

The only downside with Broadwell right now is that it’s unlikely to be compatible with any of the 8-series motherboards out there in the market at the moment. That’s a shame as usually the die shrink of a process is at least partially compatible with the previous generation’s motherboards. With the move from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge CPUs the new chip would at least run in the older boards, even if it didn’t have full access to the entire feature-set.....

Source : Intel reveal new Broadwell CPU technology, due out next year | Tech, Tech News | PC Gamer

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
People with Ivybridge/Sandybridge won't see any reason to upgrade for atleast 2 years. We don't see any huge leap in performance as well.
If only they ship with 8 physical cores...

d3p

PowerHouse
Looks like my plans for upgrading my PC will have to wait till next year.

Source : Intel reveal new Broadwell CPU technology, due out next year | Tech, Tech News | PC Gamer

New Architecture again !! I guess it will fail like Haswell. Suffer from Heating issues or something else.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
New Architecture again !! I guess it will fail like Haswell. Suffer from Heating issues or something else.

If you read the whole article, it is mentioned that with the Broadwell architecture, Intel is moving the voltage regulator from the die to the motherboard (rumored), thus reducing the heating issues caused by overclocking.

Plus 14nm fabrication unlike Haswell's 22nm.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
People with Ivybridge/Sandybridge won't see any reason to upgrade for atleast 2 years. We don't see any huge leap in performance as well.
Agreed.... :)

The reason for this incompatibility is unclear. Intel wouldn’t be drawn on the subject, but rumours from some motherboard manufacturers are that the integrated voltage regulator (iVR) is being moved off-die and back onto the motherboard. Some people have claimed that the extra heat generated by shifting the iVR onto the CPU has been responsible for the weaker overclocking performance of Haswell versus Ivy Bridge.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

I completely agree on this one. Simply 4 Cores from Sandybridge to Haswell is a big let down and the cost of MB+CPU is also exorbitant for a buyer who is simply upgrading from one generation to another or from AMD to Intel or vice versa.

If you read the whole article, it is mentioned that with the Broadwell architecture, Intel is moving the voltage regulator from the die to the motherboard (rumored), thus reducing the heating issues caused by overclocking.

Plus 14nm fabrication unlike Haswell's 22nm.

If INTEL is moving the voltage regulator from the die to the motherboard then it will be death knell to OVERCLOCKING and some motherboard manufacturers as well.

I completely agree on this one. Simply 4 Cores from Sandybridge to Haswell is a big let down and the cost of MB+CPU is also exorbitant for a buyer who is simply upgrading from one generation to another or from AMD to Intel or vice versa.

If INTEL is moving the voltage regulator from the die to the motherboard then it will be death knell to OVERCLOCKING and some motherboard manufacturers as well.

Why so? Inclusion of VR on the cpu die was ose of the reason behind more heat and limited overclocking. If the VR in brought back to motherboard, it can be paired with better cooling and board manufacturers and alter (read: improve) it according to the motherboard's target audience.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
I believe these are only meant for the mobile market not for desktop market.There is no certainty that Broadwell will come to desktops.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like Broadwell will release by Christmas this year : Intel Broadwell release date & specs | IT PRO

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What generation CPU do you have? Haswell?

If its a Haswell, Broadwell is just a Haswell with a smaller fabrication.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
looks like my rig is getting old too fast ........... i wanted my rig to be atleast a little future proof but well what can one do..........

intel core i7 3770k|Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H|Corsair GS 600|cm hyper 212 evo|gskill F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL(8Gx1)|dell 2240l|microtek 800va|cm elite 431 plus|1TB WD + 0.5TB +2TB ST2000DM001 +3TB |lg dvd writer| logitech c270| hp2515 | PHILIPS SHP1900| R9 280X DCII TOP

This RIG is getting old ???! :shock: too fast ?? :shock:

You must be sumptuously rich.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
looks like my rig is getting old too fast ........... i wanted my rig to be atleast a little future proof but well what can one do..........

every newer generation will boast many features and majority of them will be of no use for regular user. company has to advertise it as their aim is to sell more. your rig is very powerful. even if broadwell provides major advantage over haswell/ivybridge, remember those will be a price ;)

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
intel core i7 3770k|Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H|Corsair GS 600|cm hyper 212 evo|gskill F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL(8Gx1)|dell 2240l|microtek 800va|cm elite 431 plus|1TB WD + 0.5TB +2TB ST2000DM001 +3TB |lg dvd writer| logitech c270| hp2515 | PHILIPS SHP1900| R9 280X DCII TOP

This RIG is getting old ???! :shock: too fast ?? :shock:

You must be sumptuously rich.

ya right i didn't had to wait 1 year for gpu if i was anywhere like that..........

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
lol.. our SB setups have become too old.. still lot more powerful for my daily tasks and gaming needs :) So, just for the fancy of upgrading, I'll skip it.

Top Bottom