Intel I7 3770K overclocked on MSI Z77-GD80 and MSI 7970 Lightning with Liquid Nitrogen

thebanik

Broken In
So MSI had an Overclocking competition going on, mentioned here because of which started testing MSI motherboards alongwith MSI graphic cards, had a hectic few weeks where nothing seemed to be cooperating but still got some decent results. Shivam was a great support all this while and traveled daily to my place and even when I had lost energy kept on pushing me. Thanks a lot Shivam and I hope you learnt quite a bit about benching on LN2 and the issues that come up, *www.erodov.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif.

Though next few weeks I would be benching again to better the 2D scores, *www.erodov.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif. By the way just for the folks who might think I get stuff for free, only the motherboard are samples from MSI, everything else is bought with my own money, *www.erodov.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

CPU : Intel IB i7 3770K capable of running 6589 Mhz on Liquid Nitrogen. Will be pushing it further in the coming weeks. I guess do not have to praise the CPU much, everyone knows Ivybridge is in a league of its own, *www.erodov.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Motherboard : MSI Z77A-GD80 - Awesome board, all the issues I had were related to the graphic card not playing nice but the board was amazingly stable and did not create any issues. Highly recommended. Infact we were running at - 180C constantly for the superpi and pifast runs.
GPU : MSI HD7970 Lightning - Star of the show, very strong graphic card, though the clocks we were trying to achieve was quite high, and the AMD drivers are really horrible I say. Was able to run it at 1600/1790 Mhz on LN2 at around -90C to -130C.
PSU : CORSAIR AX1200 - Not an expert on PSU's, all I can do is put them on their knees to see how much further they can go. Have not budged yet this PSU, *www.erodov.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
RAM : Transcend Axeram 2400Mhz : Was running these considerably cheap ram kit at 2600Mhz on its stock timing of 10-12-10, cannot ask more from them.
SSD : 2 x Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD
CoolerMaster Benchtable - An inseparable part of my bench sessions, *www.erodov.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
CoolerMaster Quick Fire Mechanical Keyboard -
Small and a very function Mechanical Keyboard, *www.erodov.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif. Love it
Razer Naga

Now lets get on with the results.

For the lazy geeks, who would not like to scroll down, here is a summary of the session :

1)
3D Mark 11 : 14593 Marks, ranked #39 in the World globally
2) Wprime : 3.765s, ranked #54 Globally
3) Superpi : 5.601s : CPU@6589Mhz
4) Pifast : 11.22s : CPU@6481Mhz,

1) First up 3D Mark 11 : 14593 Marks, ranked #39 in the World globally

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/3DM11.jpg

2) Next up Wprime : 3.765s, ranked #54 Globally

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/wprime.jpg

3) And now we are below 6 second, Superpi : 5.601s : CPU@6589Mhz

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/superpi.jpg

4) And last Pifast : 11.22s : CPU@6481Mhz,

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/810773.jpg

And just for tradition sake a few frosty pics.

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/img-2056.JPG

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/img-2066.JPG

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/img-2074.JPG

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/img-2077.JPG

*cdn.erodov.net/portal/reviews/motherboard/msi-gd80/img-2078.JPG

Bear with me just for a shortwhile more while I thank all the companies who support/have supported me which makes me keep going further.

*www.erodov.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31547&stc=1&d=1344318530 *www.erodov.com/forums/attachments/corsair_logo1.jpg-23009d1328969744 *www.erodov.com/forums/attachments/cm_logo.png-23011d1330738889t

*www.erodov.com/forums/attachments/smc.jpg-23013d1328970406

Naxal

Little Kid
I wonder how do you people counter the ice forming in all parts of the motherboard for such cold being around ??

Wont that causing short circuit ??

OP
thebanik

thebanik

Broken In
I wonder how do you people counter the ice forming in all parts of the motherboard for such cold being around ??

Wont that causing short circuit ??

There are different types of insulation that can be done on motherboard to avoid condensation issues. Now the insulation material being Vaseline, Art Eraser, Neoprene. The better the insulation the more smoother bench session goes.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
one more jaw dropping work of your's - waiting for the next speed record of core i7 3770k

aloodum

Journeyman
Simply awesome Mr banik ...Hats off to you :)

Wow... AxeRams still having the niche touch in DDR3 Oc's..I remember those were the choice of rams for many OCERS alongwith the Abit IP-35/IX-38 in days of DDR2 and Core 2 series.

And btw,,,is that a (borrowed) hair band on that Ln2 pot in pic 6? :D

Good OC.

But the GPU you are using isn't MSI HD7970 Lightning. its EVGA 8800GT.:rolleyes:

Dont take it otherwise..but the Mr banik is actually an aged verteran..he has no less than 20 cards strewn around for his weekend escapades if i may say so.

OP
thebanik

thebanik

Broken In
one more jaw dropping work of your's - waiting for the next speed record of core i7 3770k

Thanks a lot, :D, would so like to do this again but with a small kid at home, its only once in 2-3 months that I am able to go for these sessions.

Simply awesome Mr banik ...Hats off to you :)

Wow... AxeRams still having the niche touch in DDR3 Oc's..I remember those were the choice of rams for many OCERS alongwith the Abit IP-35/IX-38 in days of DDR2 and Core 2 series.

And btw,,,is that a (borrowed) hair band on that Ln2 pot in pic 6? :D

Dont take it otherwise..but the Mr banik is actually an aged verteran..he has no less than 20 cards strewn around for his weekend escapades if i may say so.

Ah it seems we are acquainted though not able to recognise you with this ID of yours, :D. And nice eye, yeah borrowed it from my wife, :D

OP
thebanik

thebanik

Broken In
^^^ :D.... hehehe. Anyhow congrats..targetting 7Ghz i presume ? :)

TBH, 7Ghz would not be possible unless I test atleast 100 CPUs which I neither have time or money for. Only handful of people around the globe have been able to do that and that too only with the help of sponsorship etc.

But my educated guess is that my CPU is capable of 6.8-6.9Ghz, so thats what I would be hoping for.

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ may the force be with you :)
I reckon that a figure in the late 6's would be more plausible. As it has been, the last few mhz are the real troublesome ones.
But nevertheless, congrats once again for ur achievemnt and Shivam for his support

Ps: the axerams use which version of microns? the older ddr2's used the d9g's IIRC.

OP
thebanik

thebanik

Broken In
^^ may the force be with you :)
I reckon that a figure in the late 6's would be more plausible. As it has been, the last few mhz are the real troublesome ones.
But nevertheless, congrats once again for ur achievemnt and Shivam for his support

Ps: the axerams use which version of microns? the older ddr2's used the d9g's IIRC.

With Sandybridge and Ivybridge its not about skills anymore TBH. Its all about luck, and the amount of time and money you are willing to spend to find a great chip because these CPUs once you reach their limit, would not react either to cold or volts. For ivybridge you need LN2 to find that limit, with Sandybridge all you needed was something to take you between -10C, and you could have found the limit and use it even with 8 threads.

Microns days are over, though I have not checked the chips on the axeram but my educated guess would be that they are Hynix

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a lot, :D, would so like to do this again but with a small kid at home, its only once in 2-3 months that I am able to go for these sessions.

np mate .. we all can wait to see how far the core i7 3770k is going to reach and congrats for your achievement.

BTW, there's no review of Transcend aXeRAM DDR3 2400 Mhz - would like to be the first one to post a review for this ;-) ??

With Sandybridge and Ivybridge its not about skills anymore TBH. Its all about luck, and the amount of time and money you are willing to spend to find a great chip because these CPUs once you reach their limit, would not react either to cold or volts. For ivybridge you need LN2 to find that limit, with Sandybridge all you needed was something to take you between -10C, and you could have found the limit and use it even with 8 threads.

Microns days are over, though I have not checked the chips on the axeram but my educated guess would be that they are Hynix

that's some nice information and most probably axe ram 2400 Mhz is using HYNIX H5TQ2GB3BFR-H9C chip.

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
Congrats for your achievement:) I have some suggestion next time when you OC check tell your sponsor MSI to Give you MSI Z77 MPower Motherboard it is made for OC'ing its far better than your current motherboard which will allow you to achieve much better results, it overclocks any processor by default!!! you throws to it
DSC00154-600x337.jpg
DSC00143-600x337.jpg
See the review of it MSI Z77 MPower Review | t-break: Tech @ Its Fastest

Last edited:
Top Bottom