intel core i5

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitash

Intel OCer
Well here it is and some benchmarks...Due to arrive at the earliest at april or may..mostly june-july though
5? i5! Core i5 would be the brand name Intel's mainstream desktop derivatives of the Nehalem architecture based on the Lynnfield core would carry. It is similar to its big brother, the Core i7 for the most of the part except for a few differences:
A current generation Direct Media Interface (DMI) Interconnect as chipset interface
A 128-bit wide DDR3 memory interface (Dual Channel) instead of triple-channel
Some more machinery from the northbridge migrated to the CPU, such as the PCI-Express root complex
The newer LGA 1160 socket

see benchmarks here *www.techpowerup.com/78383/Preliminary_Tests_on_Intel_Core_i5_Conducted.html

Keep in mind its still a sample.

Will this be the main competetitor in the budget section along with P55?
The super pi score at 2.1Ghz seems faster than than the 3.4Ghz deneb engineering sample....

Last edited:
OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^I guess it is...But there are many rumors going around that it cant be OC'd much...well thats obvious otherwise the i5s would match the higher end i7s...The i7s at 133 BCLK can be Ocd do around 180-200BCLK max...this particular i5 HAS a 133 BCLK and if it can go to 190 with a multiplier of 16x then you will see a clock speed of 3Ghz...So you should xpect those OC's from the i5's

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Hmmm... great move indeed

Let's wait for them to come out and then reviews will speak.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Not a real great move IMO. A socket diffent from that of Nehalem, thats whats they did wrong. I would like a more mainstream Nehalem than the current i7-920. This aint close enough. And the slightly different architecture, a new socket are bound to create more confusion. :neutral:

forever

filth is me
Not a real great move IMO. A socket diffent from that of Nehalem, thats whats they did wrong. I would like a more mainstream Nehalem than the current i7-920. This aint close enough. And the slightly different architecture, a new socket are bound to create more confusion. :neutral:

The only difference between i5 & i7 lies in the uncore part. the pci-ex controller moves from the chipset to the die and the the processor talks directly to the I/O HUB. i5 was targeted only for the midrange mainstream user who doesnt bother too much about overclocking. i feel its going to do pretty well in the notebook market. ;)

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^If they are faster then the denebs (they probably are) and at the same price or just a tad more xpensive it would seem like a great buy........Another difference in the i5 is that it has a dual channel memory controller so you will probably see 4 RAM slots instead of 6.

forever

filth is me
^If they are faster then the denebs (they probably are) and at the same price or just a tad more xpensive it would seem like a great buy........Another difference in the i5 is that it has a dual channel memory controller so you will probably see 4 RAM slots instead of 6.

Aye. That and it has support for only a single x16 or 2x8 pci-ex lanes. May not go down well with the enthusiast gamer but we can just as well get used to that.

*images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/nehalem/part3/lynnfield.png

An interesting read on lynnfield - *www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3461&p=2

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I am looking for improvements over wolfdale in gaming. Small L2 cache is very bad for gaming. Extra cores are no use. DDR3 costs lot more than ddr2 and provides insignificant performance increase. That money would be much better spent on gfx card. HT was bad for gaming in p4 era. I hope that doesn't start processing other threads when games are running.

fabler

Journeyman
I am looking for improvements over wolfdale in gaming. Small L2 cache is very bad for gaming. Extra cores are no use. DDR3 costs lot more than ddr2 and provides insignificant performance increase. That money would be much better spent on gfx card. HT was bad for gaming in p4 era. I hope that doesn't start processing other threads when games are running.

hum.. right.. gamers should spend more money on GFX card rather than CPU..

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
Aye. That and it has support for only a single x16 or 2x8 pci-ex lanes. May not go down well with the enthusiast gamer but we can just as well get used to that.

"enthusiast" gamers will get the i7...Its got support for tri-SLI and TRI-cfx

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
amitash said:
"enthusiast" gamers will get the i7...Its got support for tri-SLI and TRI-cfx
AFAIK, support for tri-SLI/tri-CFx is dependant on the chipset, not processor.

forever said:
The only difference between i5 & i7 lies in the uncore part. the pci-ex controller moves from the chipset to the die and the the processor talks directly to the I/O HUB. i5 was targeted only for the midrange mainstream user who doesnt bother too much about overclocking. i feel its going to do pretty well in the notebook market.
My only concern was the difference in socket from Nehalem's LGA 1366.
For those midrangers, we already have a fleet of excellent LGA 775 Core2's and pretty good chipsets to go with it, and they wont be obsolete anytime soon.
And I do NOT think this is gonna go well with notebook market, I doubt its power usage, TDP to be favourable for Notebook scenario.

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
AFAIK, support for tri-SLI/tri-CFx is dependant on the chipset, not processor.

Thats true but since the i5 will not have x58 there will be no support for three card configs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom