Installing XP over Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordirecto

In the zone
I bought a laptop recently. A Dell studio 1535. Now im in need of installing XP. The default OS in my laptop is Vista. I did see that v can load Xp over vista via a dual boot system in the internet. For this purpose i downloaded vista boot pro 3.3.. after installing the application and going through the procedure given in the online help of the software i'm able to see xp in the boot list. But i'm not able to boot into xp, because it gives me a blue screen of death before it restarts.
NOw is there any other solutions to this problem?? Or what can i do to rectify this problem with this software itself??

OP
lordirecto

lordirecto

In the zone
I did check with dell.. They told me that i'll be able to find the drivers in their web site itself.. Also they have given me the driver cds' .. But I do not plan on removing vista completely, as i intend to use XP and Vista together, but on different drives..

dvijaydev46

Broken In
I don't clearly get what you say. Did you install XP with a CD? Or are you trying to load Xp without even installing it?

Assuming you installed Xp in a different partition, load vista setup from dvd and try to do a 'Startup Repair'. If this doesn't work load Xp setup from XP cd and go into command mode and type "fixboot". This will make XP partition bootable. Then try with startup repair vista DVD.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I did check with dell.. They told me that i'll be able to find the drivers in their web site itself.. Also they have given me the driver cds' .. But I do not plan on removing vista completely, as i intend to use XP and Vista together, but on different drives..
You need separate drive for XP and Vista. I am not sure .. how to do this in Dell laptops.

So, first thing you need is create separate drive for each windows OS, and than first install XP.. and than install Vista.

OP
lordirecto

lordirecto

In the zone
Vista is already preloaded on the laptop.. I installed xp in another drive say G:.... Now the problem i face is that when i repair the vista installation, i'm no longer able to boot into xp.. and vice versa.. Now after installing vista boot pro, i'm able to get the options of booting into vista or xp.. But trying to boot into xp does not work.. Only booting into vista works.. Now how do i come around this problem????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom