Installing slackware

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
Guys i was trying to install slackware but i didnot get any autopartition options then do i have to do it manually also i have partition manager can i use that to create ext3 partition and swap partition

h4xbox

Journeyman
Its not a user frendly distro... its mostly suited for linux g33ks. U can use fdisk / fips to partition in ext3

ujjwal

Padawan
Yeah, in slackware you won't have an automated partition creation tool, but its easy enough to do it manually.

When you login as root, type "cfdisk /dev/hda" (replace hda with hdb for second IDE drive etc.), and then select the free space in the drive. Create a new partition, and assign it the type "Linux". Then write the partition table, exit cfdisk and type "setup" to begin.

You can also use your Partition Magic to create an ext2 fs, and then the setup tool of slackware will format it again as the fs format of your choice.

BTW, its not recommended to use ext3 filesystem here, slackware uses reiserfs by default, faster and better, but if you have an old system, you can use ext2 if you don't want the features of journalled filesystems (basically it reduces the risk of data loss is system isn't shut down, by maintaining a journal of disk activities).

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
O k i was able to create ext3 partitions using partition magic.Btw do i have to create a swap partion or will it be created automatically

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
Got thru the installation went very smoothly but i was dropped into a non graphical interface.So how do i get into the x window system further i think my tnt2 card was not detected properly so i was dropped into the CLI(command line interface).Am i right.How do i find whether my card has been detcted properly

ujjwal

Padawan
To get X Windows configured, type "xorgconfig". Then provide information about your hardware.

As for detection, well slackware will not try to detect too many things on its own, just tell it what card you use during xorgconfig :)

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Yeah and also keep in mind that it always boots up to a non grafic interface rather than x so u gotta type x everytime it comes to a terminal prompt and then go to the gui.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom