installing linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyber_dragon

Right off the assembly line
I have intel p 4 with 40 g.b hard disk place&4 partions active partion is c:.o .i installed redhat linux8.0 2cds the computer asked me to restart when i restarted it gave me amessage sync out of range i was unable start the computer
please give me detailed discription to solve this problem & the steps involved

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
this is due to horizontal or vertical resolutions of your monitor is less than the normal used by redhat. your monitor maual can tell you your h & v ref rates and change it accordingly.

see this post

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19089

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Firstly why are you using such an old distro, it may not recognise your hardware correctly. Get fedora core 3 or something for a much better performance. Ok now about the problem when do you get this message ? did you see the grub boot loader?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
FC3 and most later distributions now a days use Xorg server which can autoconfigure your Graphics system.

cyber_dragon said:
I have intel p 4 with 40 g.b hard disk place&4 partions active partion is c:.o .i installed redhat linux8.0 2cds the computer asked me to restart when i restarted it gave me amessage sync out of range i was unable start the computer
please give me detailed discription to solve this problem & the steps involved

dear forget about such a old distro,get a new one which ever u like,if u r a newbie then mandriva or fc3 would be a good choice,
more over what is ur system configuration, u require minimum of 256 mb ram for better gui performance,also check ur vedeo memory,it should be more than 8mb atleast.

ujjwal

Padawan
Man, don't advise everyone who asks a question about an old distro to get a new one :( while older ones aren't that easy to use, they aren't completely useless.

Anyway, cyber_dragon, at the point when linux tries to enter the graphical mode, try pressing CTRL+ALT+F2 to see if you can get a console. If so, login as root, and look through the contents of the /etc/X11/XF86Config file (type less /etc/X11/XF86Config). You can use a tool like explore2fs to access the file within windows, in case you have access to windows on your system.

But of course, as everyone else said, an easier way to solve the problem would be to try a newer version, like Fedora Core 3, the chances of your hardware working out of the box are much greater :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Man, don't advise everyone who asks a question about an old distro to get a new one Sad while older ones aren't that easy to use, they aren't completely useless.

Why not will you not stop some one buying an old standard gazel car? The point is for a guy doing a clean install there is no point in going for an old distro. A new guy installing an old distro compares linux to win XP and what does he say " oh linux is so dead it cannot do this or that" the thing is linux is growing by leaps and bounds so every new distro gets it higher and higher in terms of ease of use and friendlyness. Thus any new guy doing a fresh installation it makes lot of sense to go for the latest distro that he/ she can lay their hands on.

pradeep_chauhan said:
Man, don't advise everyone who asks a question about an old distro to get a new one Sad while older ones aren't that easy to use, they aren't completely useless.

Why not will you not stop some one buying an old standard gazel car? The point is for a guy doing a clean install there is no point in going for an old distro. A new guy installing an old distro compares linux to win XP and what does he say " oh linux is so dead it cannot do this or that" the thing is linux is growing by leaps and bounds so every new distro gets it higher and higher in terms of ease of use and friendlyness. Thus any new guy doing a fresh installation it makes lot of sense to go for the latest distro that he/ she can lay their hands on.

yeah pradeep, u r right i agry with u,a newbie to linux will find his life dreadful if he uses older linux versions,when there is a chancefor better newer version that too which we get free of cost,then what is the neccessary for older one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom