Installing Fed 10.. need guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
Installing Fedora 10.. need guidance

Hey,

Finally after getting bored with Win XP i decided to go with Fed 10. What i need from you guys is your guidance and tips on how to go about it, firstly installing.

So here are some facts ----> I got 2 HDD and in 1 HDD there are 2 partitions so 'C' drive contains Win XP and in my other HDD there are 3 partitions which contains movies, mp3's, games, etc, etc.

I do not want to uninstall Win XP and i was thinking of having both XP and Fed both.

So how do i proceed with installing Fed 10? Please help.

Thanks in advance and Best Regards.

Last edited:

iinfi

mekalodu
you can dual boot xp and fedora
if possible get some 10GB free for fedora on any HDD. its better if it is a complete drive like d: e: or something
goto windows disk manager and delete that logical volume. this is will make it a raw partition and you will see it as a free partition while installing Linux.

then insert the fedora DVD n reboot .
keep the cd as first boot device.
you can skip the CD check and proceed with the installation till you reach the partition section (custom installtion.

here you can keep around
8G /
1.5G swap
400M /tmp
100M /boot
thats the bare minimum i feel
the next step is critical. you need to select grub as the default boot loader.
and you will see two options out there.
FEDORA
OTHER

check the Os which you want to be loaded by default. Keep the default packages as is and proceed and complete the installation.

well does this crude howto help?

OP
Ecstasy

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
Well i installed Fed 10 couple of days back by myself and screwed up badly. My C: partition is gone along with XP. I tried getting it back with the help of Fedora forums and some guys from DF but in vain. :(

You should be careful when partitioning

Next time

Just empty the contents of one of the drive into your other , then try installing F10 in one of the partition that you choose to .... you may go wrong a couple a times initially .... But 'Practice makes perfect' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom