Installing Chrome OS on Virtual Box

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Internet connection issue on Virtual box (Installing Chrome OS)

I wanted to try Google's Chrome OS. Even though it is a live CD, since I do not have a DVD drive, I could not boot using the image file. So I thought I would try it on a virtual machine. i downloaded Virtual Box for this purpose.

The problem is, Chrome OS needs an internet connection to start. But I am unable to share the internet connection to virtual box. I looked for some help but could not find anything easy to understand. I have Dataone connection and connect directly without dialling.

Please help.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
read virtualbox help/manual.there is a way to directly share your real/physical network adapter with the virtual network adapter.search for term network adapter in help manual index.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chapter*6.*Virtual networking
Network Address Translation (NAT)
If all you want is to browse the Web, download files and view e-mail inside the guest, then this default mode should be sufficient for you, and you can safely skip the rest of this section. Please note that there are certain limitations when using Windows file sharing (see the section called “NAT limitations” for details).

edit:
@d6bmg,my mistake.i didn't knew about free version of vmware player having networking abilities too.

Last edited:
OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I configured the network settings with NAT, but Chrome OS is not detecting the network
*img152.imageshack.us/img152/21/vmboxchrome.jpg

I installed Windows XP on the virtual machine, with the same config I'm able to use internet from WinXP, but Chrome OS not showing and it won't proceed without it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
see this for help
No network on VirtualBox build - CrOS QA
Change it to Bridged Adapter. Then under Advanced changed Adapter Type to Paravirtualized Network. That should get you going.

but first try this:
network not showing up during VirtualBox Install [Vanilla] - CrOS QA
Try change the network adapter type in Network settings in Virtualbox.
Network -> Adapter1 -> Advanced -> Adapter type -> Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (worked for me)

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Well, now that I've finally booted into it, it doesn't look worth the time and effort I put into installing it on VirtualBox. There is nothing in it to even try, it is just the Chrome browser with a shutdown button in place of close (kind of).

And for some reason, it is running very slow. I assigned 2 GB of the 4 GB RAM that I have on my system, 1 core of the 3.2 Ghz quad core processor and 112 MB of Video memory. After all that it is not even scrolling smoothly with just 1 tab open. Couldn't use it for that reason.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i guess it is still not ready for prime time.even if it were my biggest concern is how to use it smoothly in our country with 256kbps broadband & 2gb/month 3g plans.

Top Bottom