Installing apps on old Samsung phone runs into space constraint

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
I bought Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 in Jan2013 Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 - Full phone specifications

Now new apps are not getting installed and space insufficient error pops up even though the default location for new apps is the sd card which has plenty of space. (Few months back i had set the default for new apps to sd card by following steps here : How to Install Android Apps to the SD Card by Default & Move Almost Any App to the SD Card )

New apps are getting installed only if i remove some apps to make space but now i need all apps and cannot afford to remove any more.

Any idea what is the issue here? Why is the sd card space not getting used?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ probably on stock GB

problem isn't with the space on SD card. It is with the limited ~250 mb of phone's internal memory to store app's main settings and necessary data, while the bigger non-necessary part of the app (like the media files) goes into the sd card.

Like i said earlier, the phone is crap if you want to use it as a smartphone. Better use it as a calling/texting/IM phone only.

^ probably on stock GB

problem isn't with the space on SD card. It is with the limited ~250 mb of phone's internal memory to store app's main settings and necessary data, while the bigger non-necessary part of the app (like the media files) goes into the sd card.

Like i said earlier, the phone is crap if you want to use it as a smartphone. Better use it as a calling/texting/IM phone only.

Hehehe, looks like you've suffered enough with this one, anyway have you tried doing this "dalvik cache clearing" ?

Just to increase my knowledge so I wouldn't suggest that to anyone having these problems in Samsung Galaxy Y :p

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^dalvik cache doesn't takes up that much space, few mbs only which are garbage and/or residual files left after app's execution in GB. its a different story altogether in ART runtime where apps get pre complied before execution and not during it.

only solution is to uninstall useless apps.

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
I have one lying around. There were too much issues regarding low memory then dialer app hanging and calling previously dialled no.s and all.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
yeah it was a flawed phone,my friends phone had issues even after he factory reset and didnt install apps
it was good for the price etc for its time i guess

Top Bottom