installed ubuntu 7.04, now what...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackleopard92

In the zone
well, i have installed ubuntu 7.04.. .and now, sitting like dumb in front of it not knowing what to do. :eek:
actually, i have promised myself that i am gonna use ubuntu only for atleast a month. i know unix and my primary need was to have experience to run apache/php/mysql on a linux machine, which i am getting now.

however, i know nothing to do except turn to net when i am bored! but i do not have a unlimited connection to download loads of packages all the time.

in windows i used to mess around with the OS, generally crashing it all the time, however i have no clue as to how ubuntu functions. any help here?

just wanted to know what u guys do with it...

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Just experiment things. Open apps, and explore what does it do. Then u will become used to it. If you need any help, the Ubuntu guys are here to help you. (not me i am a Fedora Guy).

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
here's what might help u

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30608
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6029
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30806
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41048

OP
blackleopard92

blackleopard92

In the zone
The Unknown said:

blackleopard92 is not able to think what to do. That is the reason he is asking us. :D :p
lol, yeah.
but one thing, thanks for your replies. so good starting material for me to read.

praka123

left this forum longback
if u dont mind u can try playing some games(gnome-games).else try to do some coding with gcc(anjuta) research synaptic and Google for more interesting packages and repositories to add.and finally compile a custom kernel optimized for ur architecture-most kernels are generic-there are specific optimizations available patches available for eg:con Kolivas one.
and if ur yet hear about Free Software philosophy lend an ear to that too @ *fsf.org
Did u enable all multimedia support for Ubuntu(wma,wmv etc too ?)
*ubuntuguide.org -itself will give new ideas to tweak.
Do u have Xorg 3D enabled,try running "glxgears" to make sure it runs smoothly and more...

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
@praka123 excellent advice(s)
Few more from my side, the first thing generally a user does is decorating his PC :) so checkout following links :
*www.beryl-project.org/
*www.gnome-look.org/
*art.gnome.org/
*www.kde-look.org/
*netdragon.sourceforge.net/ssuperkaramba.html
There 1000s of link just Google for more.

At last post your creativity here : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20250

OP
blackleopard92

blackleopard92

In the zone
praka123 said:
if u dont mind u can try playing some games(gnome-games).else try to do some coding with gcc(anjuta) research synaptic and Google for more interesting packages and repositories to add.and finally compile a custom kernel optimized for ur architecture-most kernels are generic-there are specific optimizations available patches available for eg:con Kolivas one.
and if ur yet hear about Free Software philosophy lend an ear to that too @ *fsf.org
Did u enable all multimedia support for Ubuntu(wma,wmv etc too ?)
*ubuntuguide.org -itself will give new ideas to tweak.
Do u have Xorg 3D enabled,try running "glxgears" to make sure it runs smoothly and more...
wonderful, exactly the things i was looking for. :)
compiling kernels would be preety cool.. however, need more knowledge before i start doing that.

yeah, i went through the *ubuntuguide.org, that's how i installed apache/php/mysql and other developmental tools.

i installed beryl, still trying to figure out all the options..
Xorg 3D? might have to google for it.. is it installed by default?

praka123

left this forum longback
compiling kernel in Debian based distros are easier(Ubuntu too) there is this kernel-package installed which will generate a linux-image or module or headers initrd etc in a .deb format.
u can refer
*howtoforge.com
for good guides and other things like networking too

Xorg -X window System that is what is the GUI for most UNIX-like distros including MACINTOSH too.
now 2-D support is mostly available.3D support enables to play games and using s/w which requires 3 D.
press ALT+F2 to get a run dialog;insert below lines and press enter:
Code:
glxgears
if u saw gears moving sluggishly u may dont have 3 D graphics acceleration thats what i referred.

OP
blackleopard92

blackleopard92

In the zone
praka123 said:
Xorg -X window System that is what is the GUI for most UNIX-like distros including MACINTOSH too.
now 2-D support is mostly available.3D support enables to play games and using s/w which requires 3 D.
press ALT+F2 to get a run dialog;insert below lines and press enter:
Code:
glxgears
if u saw gears moving sluggishly u may dont have 3 D graphics acceleration thats what i referred.
gears are running at full speeds.. :)

praka123

left this forum longback
but i am skeptical :? u got an nvidia card right?it needs restricted manager to install nvidia binary drivers for full scale gfx working.for now u may be using open source "nv" driver.check ur /etc/X11/xorg.conf via nautilus file manager(default) synonymous to windows explorer in win xp.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Yes by default ubuntu use nv. he needs to install driver and I've already told in his other post whats the easiest way to install nVidia driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom