Installed Ubuntu 5.10 & have some doubts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Finally i installed Ubuntu 5.10 to my system and i am not going to remove it until digits provides 7.04

I installed it to an 14 GB drive and Swap of 768 MB. It was my last drive in my HDD. I made it ext3. The installation is perfect and i also installed GRUB as i didn't want to loose my XP.

All i wanna know is... y cant i access the other drives from Ubuntu all my mp3s, pictures and videos are in other drives.. Is the File system is the Barrier for this?

If there is any third party applicaition so that i can access all other drives please let me know..

And what is XFCE and how to install it to my Ubuntu and what is its specs... can i install directly after logging into Ubuntu or should i install in post?

thanks in advance

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
dunno , as far as i can remember Ubuntu 5.10 mounted the NTFS drives for u in read-only mode(correct me if i'm wrong) , else i think you'll have to manually set them to mount in /etc/fstab n also install NTFS driver if it isn't installed by default.

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
i dont know anything thats complicated in Linux... but ask me anything about XP i'll coz i completed MSCA and also MSCE

Where is tech_ur_future and GNUrag.... hope they knew the solution

Last edited:

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
Edit ur /etc/fstab as a root and append this :
if NTFS : /dev/<drive> /media/<mount point> ntfs ro 0 0
if FAT32 :/dev/<drive> /media/<mount point> vfat users,rw,umask=000 0 0

XFCE is a Destop Environment like ur GNOME and KDE
follow this : *easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu#How_to_install_XFCE

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
thanks @ anantkhaitan but i didnt get u... i am dummy linux user. Where can i access /etc/fstab ?

PLEASE EDUCATE ME

amitava82

MMO Addict
Dude get Ubuntu 7.04. why r u waiting for Digit to provide it? If you don't have high speed net connection then you can come to my place I'll give you. Or I can parcel you. Best is come to my place :)

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
I cant wait anymore is there anyone here having Ubuntu 7.04 and staying near Malleshwaram, Rajajinagar, Jalahalli Cross, Sadashivnagar, 8th Mile, Yeshwanthpur, ISKON ... please PM me.... I want Ubuntu 7.04

freebird

Debian Rocks!
there are lot of Linux cd distributors in B'lore(infact majority!).
some of them:
GT enterprises
*www.gtcdrom.com/

Linux Bajaar:
*www.linuxbazar.com/
and even in Book stores like Gangaram's MG rd and more(costly with jewel cases)
LUG in B'lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom