Install wordpress on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Introduction

Wordpress is a blogging software developed using PHP and runs on MySQL.

If you are a wordpress theme developer or a plugin developer, or just want to do some experiments with wordpress code, you may need to upload the changes you made and see if it is working or not. This tutorial will eliminate the need of uploading the files to your server. You can do all those tests right in your computer easily.

Things you need to install wordpress in your computer.

Since PHP is a Server-Side script, you can’t install a wordpress blog on your computer without installing PHP. In order to install wordpress on your computer, you need to install three main applications, those are PHP, MySQL and Apache Server. While MySQL is used to store all your database tables like, posts, comments, blogroll and pages etc, Apache server is a web server and it is responsible to deliver the output on web browser.

WampServer and Installation.

Instead of installing all these applications individually, you can just download and install a program called WampServer 2.0. For linux you can install a software called LAMP or the LampServer.

WampServer stands for Windows Apache MySQL PHP. Which means it installs all those applications at one time easily. Installing WampServer on your computer doesn’t require you to be a Rocket Scientist. All you need to do is just download and install it in few clicks. By default, WampServer 2.0 will be installed in your “c:\wamp”. And if you have installed WAMP5 earlier, you need to uninstall it before installing WampSever 2.0.

After you install WampServer on you computer, your windows firewall may ask to block or unblock, just unblock it. In order to test whether if the WampServer is installed properly or not, launch the WampServer from your desktop or All Programs. The WampServer runs in your system tray.

Now open your web browser and type ” *localhost/ ” in your address bar and hit enter. That should take you to the “Server Configuration” page.

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/2297166645_342e043d32.jpg

Installing Wordpress on your WampServer

Before installing wordpress on your WampServer, you need to create a MySQL Database to store the tables.

To create a MySQL database, go to your Server Configuration page by typing ” *localhost/ ” in your web browser’s address bar. Now click on the link called “phpmyadmin” under “Your Aliases”. Now you will be taken to the phpmyadmin page. Under “Create new Database”, enter a name of your desire and click on Create button.

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2297960610_0bd0131d8b_o.jpg

Now you finished creating the database. Since you did it in few steps, your database username will be “root” and your database password will be blank.

Now download the latest version of wordpress from here. And extract it. Rename the folder called “wordpress” to whatever you wish, like “mywordpressblog”. This will make easy for you to remember the path to enter whenever you want to open your wordpress blog from your computer. Open your folder and find a file called “sample-wp-config”, open the file using notepad. Now you need to enter your database details here. Replace the corresponding text by user database username, password and username. As stated before, your database username is “root” and the password is blank. So your edited details must look like this:

PHP:
define(’DB_NAME’, ‘gigacore’); // The name of the database
define(’DB_USER’, ‘root’); // Your MySQL username
define(’DB_PASSWORD’, ”); // …and password
Leave the DB_LOCALHOST and others as it is. Don’t make any changes. Save the file and rename it to “wp-config”. Yes, just remove the “-sample” from it.

Copy and paste that folder in “c:\wamp\www”. so that it must make the path like this, “c:\wamp\www\mywordpressblog\”

Now open your web browser and type the URL of your wordpress folder in the address bar. It must be like this, “*localhost/mywordpressblog”

This will take you to the wordpress installation page:

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/2297973870_2ddc003e31.jpg

Enter the Blog Title and E-mail ID and click next. Note the username and password generated. Click on login, enter the username and password and login. Now you can start using wordpress on your computer!

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2297167465_df7c1011e5_m.jpg *farm4.static.flickr.com/3025/2297167289_dcb7eb901a_m.jpg

Tip: You can also your wordpress blog on your computer as your personal dairy for easy content management.

Via: My Blog

P.S: My 3000th Post :D

Last edited:

dd_wingrider

In the zone
i tried and successfully installed it thanks to the tutorial, just an update: people have to stop iis to let wamp server work, atleast it happened in my case.

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^ glad to know that u have successfully installed on ur machine. And thanks for letting us know about the IIS stuff :)

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
guys beat this!
i was installing wordpress on my comp.instead of renaming the folder to mywordpressblog i just renamed it mywordpress :grin:and evrything else when fine.
after that when i had to type localhost/mywordpress i just opened the link(lazy me) gigacore had given and wondering why i was getting 404 error.:confused::grin:
it took almost a minute to set it right.thanks giga:grin:nice tut

guys beat this!
i was installing wordpress on my comp.instead of renaming the folder to mywordpressblog i just renamed it mywordpress :grin:and evrything else when fine.
after that when i had to type localhost/mywordpress i just opened the link(lazy me) gigacore had given and wondering why i was getting 404 error.:confused::grin:
i almost took a minute to realize.thanks giga:grin:nice tut

Last edited:

utsav

damn busy...
I havnt noticed this thread .lol .i did this over a year back on my pc. i also helped abhishek dwivedi to install wp on his pc in jan as he wanted to test some themes without uploading them to server. he he.
btw gud one .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom