install knoppix to hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ra_rav

Broken In
you can install knoppix 3.6 to hd just by running a script 'knx2hd' remember script never runs on its own and asks u to continue if you know what are you doing. i did and it is my default os now.

tuxfan

Technomancer
So? What's the point of discussion here? Am I missing out something? Your post sounds more like a blog than a thread for some discussion.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Detailed Guide 8) : (When u do something do it cleanly, even if its a murder- by me ;-) )
-------------------
:arrow: Go to System Tools and open QT-Parted

:arrow: Convert one or more drive (as u wish) to ext2 file system.

:arrow: Convert another drive to swap file system. For swap file system drive 1 GB is more than enough.

:arrow: Click on the terminal icon on the task bar

:arrow: Type su

:arrow: Ur sign should change from # to $ (or is it the other way? i don't remember)

:arrow: type knoppix-installer

:arrow: Then comes a set of easily understandable options. Even a newbie can configure it.

:arrow: It will ask for drives where it should install. U must select the swap file drive and a main ext 2 file system.

:arrow: Then it will ask whether the desktop should be based for a newbie, medicore or an expert. If u choose newbie u will see the same desktop as u see in Live Knoppix. That means automatically mounted hard drives whose short cut it shown on desktop etc.

:arrow: The come where it should write the LILO. If u use Windows i recommend u write them in floppy. Imagine u have installed Linux and one day due to some problem u had to re-install Windows then ur LILO will be destroyed. It can be recovered but u must know Linux well. So i recommend writing LILO in floppy b'coz it will never be lost. When ever u wanna bot to linux insert floppy press F9 and select FDD. Then u will be shown with the LILO OS selector screen.

:arrow: If u r so persistant in making LILO to be loaded from hard disk, here is an excellent guide on how to restore when LILO vanishes after installing Windows
Source:firewall (Digit Braniac) *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15125

FOR RESTORING GRUB
It's happened to almost every GNU/Linux and Windows dual boot user at some point: You have a nice installation GNU/Linux cross-booted with Windows. So far so good. But then, at some point, you reinstall Windows, perhaps because you upgraded to a new version, or perhaps you just did it to "clean up" Windows, reinstalling the original system files to make it a little more stable. When you reboot, however, you'll find that if you had LILO running from your hard disk's MBR, it has been killed, and Windows has claimed the MBR as its own. How will you reinstall your boot manager so you can get into GNU/Linux?

here is small tutorial on how to reinstall your gnu boot loader in that case. I chose GRUB here as now a days it's very popular and powerful too. For those who use LILO, check out my next post

----

Boot into the rescue mode using install CD1 by typing "linux rescue" at the boot prompt. When it asks you if you want it to find your installation and mount it, let it by selecting "Continue". Once you get to the sh prompt chroot into you installation with:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage

If the disk you boot from is /dev/hda then you should be able to reinstall grub with:

# grub-install /dev/hda

Just remember to exit the chroot'ed shell before you reboot. If you reboot by "Ctrl-Alt-Del" the installer will unmount your partitions. Although it probably wouldn't hurt to try to unmount as many as you can yourself with something like:

# umount /dev/hd?[1-9]*
-------------------------------------------------------------------

For restoring LILO Its easier thts why i recommend LILO
Here is the process :::::

you just need to reinstall LILO. That means you have to boot into Linux some other way. Use the First CD of ur distro and go to repair option. At the command prompt just type /sbin/lilo. You should get a response that looks like this:

Added linux *
Added win

The asterisk (*) indicates the default boot image. (If you see anything other than this, something went wrong. Go back through your lilo.conf and read the man page to see what it was.) When you reboot, LILO will be back where it belongs!
Thanx firewall

:?: I have not mentioned lots of steps here but if u have ever installed Windows Xp the non mentioned steps will be a piece of cake.

:!: Don't come after my blood if something goes wrong while installing and damages ur computer :p
----------------------------------------------

Too many spelling errors i know, plz bear with me.[/quote][/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom