Instaliing Ubuntu inside windows 7 in drive D error

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ok see let me make it more simple.

For installing Linux you need to make min. 2 partitions...
1. / (spelled as root) ext4 /ext 3 (whichever you like)
2. swap.

But recommended partitions are...
1. /
2. /home
3. swap

Anyway, look, why are you getting into this screen which allows you to create partitions manually.

Doesn't Ubuntu detect Unpartitioned Space in the previous screen??

And yes Ubuntu 11.10 64bit detects unpartitioned space. Just delete that D partition.

Then while booting from Ubuntu CD, you'll see a screen where it'll ask you to install Ubuntu on whole HDD or Install on Free Space (Along with Windows) and Parition Manually (I guess you are selecting that last option which is leading you to this screen.)

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
Ok see let me make it more simple.

For installing Linux you need to make min. 2 partitions...
1. / (spelled as root) ext4 /ext 3 (whichever you like)
2. swap.

But recommended partitions are...
1. /
2. /home
3. swap

Anyway, look, why are you getting into this screen which allows you to create partitions manually.

Doesn't Ubuntu detect Unpartitioned Space in the previous screen??

And yes Ubuntu 11.10 64bit detects unpartitioned space. Just delete that D partition.

Then while booting from Ubuntu CD, you'll see a screen where it'll ask you to install Ubuntu on whole HDD or Install on Free Space (Along with Windows) and Parition Manually (I guess you are selecting that last option which is leading you to this screen.)

yes you are correct.
I selected the last option.
now what should I do.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's the thing, you should have selected install beside windows.

Anyway, don't need to go through all these again.

Just delete your D partition (Not from windows), on the screen which you are on right now (On Ubuntu)

Now create 3 partitions there...
1. / (root)
2. /home
3. swap

Make swap 1GB
Make / (root) ext4 and of around 30GB.
Make /home as ext4 and use the remaining space

NOTE : I stated this guessing your partition is of around 97GB (As you stated above)

You can allocate space according to your needs too.

For that I'm explaining the things below...

Swap is like virtual memory in windows. So peoples here have diff. opinions about how much space should they allocate for swap. It depends upon RAM and all. So if you have > 1GB RAM, 1GB Swap would suffice (Personal Opinion, Other people can suggest much space)

/ (Root) is the C drive of Linux. So allocate space according to how many programs(read applications) you'll install. In general around 30GB is more than enough for a Home user like us.

/home is the My Documents of Linux. Your personal files / folders / preferences config files and all gets stored here. This is optional partition. In general if you don't create this partition it'll be created under / (root) allocated partition.

But I'd recommend creating /home as if you format / upgrade your OS later, you won't loose your files. See, it's like D, E and other drive in Windows, you don't loose data while formatting the Windows in C...!!

Hope it helps :D

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
There is three options
1. install alongside windows
2. delete windows and install linux
3. something else

I selected the last option

That's the thing, you should have selected install beside windows.

Anyway, don't need to go through all these again.

Just delete your D partition (Not from windows), on the screen which you are on right now (On Ubuntu)

Now create 3 partitions there...
1. / (root)
2. /home
3. swap

Make swap 1GB
Make / (root) ext4 and of around 30GB.
Make /home as ext4 and use the remaining space

NOTE : I stated this guessing your partition is of around 97GB (As you stated above)

You can allocate space according to your needs too.

For that I'm explaining the things below...

Swap is like virtual memory in windows. So peoples here have diff. opinions about how much space should they allocate for swap. It depends upon RAM and all. So if you have > 1GB RAM, 1GB Swap would suffice (Personal Opinion, Other people can suggest much space)

/ (Root) is the C drive of Linux. So allocate space according to how many programs(read applications) you'll install. In general around 30GB is more than enough for a Home user like us.

/home is the My Documents of Linux. Your personal files / folders / preferences config files and all gets stored here. This is optional partition. In general if you don't create this partition it'll be created under / (root) allocated partition.

But I'd recommend creating /home as if you format / upgrade your OS later, you won't loose your files. See, it's like D, E and other drive in Windows, you don't loose data while formatting the Windows in C...!!

Hope it helps :D

after making this partition , on which drive I should install linux.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's right, you should have choose "Install Alongside Windows". In that case it detects the unpartitioned space and creates all these partitions automatically.

/ (root)

Neuron

Electronic.
@psaikia:WAIT!!!,don't delete the sda4 partition if you don't want to loose any of your data.Seems like gparted has miscalculated start and end cylinders.If you delete sda4 you will loose data from pro'lly e: and f:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^Right, I didn't followed the image.

I guess you didn't created your D drive back right??

In that case don't delete that partition and create Linux partitions. Just go back and select Install Alongside Windows. In that case don't forget to select the option Review Partitioning Layout to verify your partitions.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
^^Right, I didn't followed the image.

I guess you didn't created your D drive back right??

In that case don't delete that partition and create Linux partitions. Just go back and select Install Alongside Windows. In that case don't forget to select the option Review Partitioning Layout to verify your partitions.

now install inside windows is not coming

i deleted the partition of sda3 and its shows free space.
The first partition is ok around 30gb and the rest becomes unusable.
you cannot create any further partition.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Sorry I didn't get you. I guess you messed it up.

See if you still have D as unpartitioned space you will get Install Alongside Windows.

Anyway, you are saying that you deleted sda3.

See you can't create more than 4 primary partitions, so delete that /(root) 30GB partition and create extended partition.

Neuron

Electronic.
now install inside windows is not coming

i deleted the partition of sda3 and its shows free space.
The first partition is ok around 30gb and the rest becomes unusable.
you cannot create any further partition.

Don't do anything stupid.Gparted is bugged right now.If you format a partition right now,you will loose some data for sure.Format sda3 and say RIP to windows.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
Don't do anything stupid.Gparted is bugged right now.If you format a partition right now,you will loose some data for sure.Format sda3 and say RIP to windows.

great as u said

I lost windows

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hey listen. I'd say if you don't want to mess up things, just exit from boot CD and boot again, and select not to write partitions on disk.

In this way you won't loose anything.

Better start it again from scratch and select Install Alongside Windows, if you still have unpartitioned space in HDD.

UPDATE ; Sorry, noticed it now.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
my gparted screenshot - just for the reference sake.

*i.imgur.com/qdcfX.jpg

How to imagine situations?

First I have a 100 MB partition which Windows 7 creates for no reason. Windows XP does not create this. Then I have a huge 146 GB C: drive. If your case is different, you can imagine this like - two C: and D: drives of 70 GB each. (To visualize properly, Ignore the 170GB at the end.)

All one should do is, resize the partition at the END. Create an "extended partition" and then create partitions to be used by Linux in that "extended partition"...

Take a look at the extended partition of mine. It contains 4 partitions which are being used by Linux. /boot, /, /home and swap. Usually, you can be fine with only / and swap. Or /, /home and swap. It's your wish.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ya see..the above screenshot.

The first partition i.e. sda1 (100MB) may his Windows 7 System Partition (That win 7 creates automatically)

2nd One i.e. sda2 (146GB) may be his C partition.

And sda3 is the extended partition which holds sda5 - sda 8 (His Linux Partitions)

And lastly the unallocated space.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cannot format in fat32 as win7 only formats in ntfs.
i am using 11.10 (64 bit).

I ll format in exfat n then see

This is my windows screenshot
*i.imgur.com/aVtex.png

and this my linux screenshot
*i.imgur.com/AYScN.jpg

Now please tell me which is my drive d
Dealing with drive D: was a very very bad choice.

To everyone new, I always suggest to only mess around with the partition at the end i.e. the last one.

Also, you can have only 4 primary partitions. To have more than 4 partitions, you need to create an extended partition which can hold many more partitions. Each extended partition is counted as one primary partition. Extended partition is also called "logical partition" or "logical drive"...

Here is what I will suggest you for your next try.

100 MB --> Windows will automatically create.
180 GB --> C: drive.
200 GB --> D: drive.
So, that is 3 primary partitions.
Do this with your WIndows installation.

Now, after being done with Windows.
At the end you should have around 80 GB "unpartitioned space"...
Create an "extended partition" there through Ubuntu's installer. Then create 30 GB / with filesystem ext4. 45 GB /home with filesystem ext4. Remaining as swap.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
@ico, can you please correct me?? Doesn't gparted detect more than 4 primary partitions as in Win 7??

I know this wasn't possible in Win XP, but in Win 7 having more than 4 primary partitions is possible.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ico, can you please correct me?? Doesn't gparted detect more than 4 primary partitions as in Win 7??

I know this wasn't possible in Win XP, but in Win 7 having more than 4 primary partitions is possible.

GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take a look at this - GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GPT is new way of partitioning if you have EFI. Not BIOS. GPT does not have the limitation of 4 primary partitions.

red dragon

Master troll
Win 7 also allows max 4 primary partitions.
You can create multiple volumes in each logical partition.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ahh...I notice, that @OP have dynamic partitions. I guess he have messed it up much earlier while creating his other partitions.