Infomation about maps symbian and android based phones

shelton

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a good mobile phone with gps(and the maps). I am bit confused about this. I have heard that nokia phones e.g C06 have an inbuilt maps which can be viewed offline too where as the android based ones have google maps which cannot be viewed offline. In such a case the gps receiver in android mobiles will be of no use when there is no network coverage. Can someone elaborate on this.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
if GPS is your priority, get N8. Best maps apps, terrific battery life and superb camera. inside 20k, check Nokia C7.

noob

Cyborg Agent
android based ones have google maps which cannot be viewed offline.

you can , provided you have visited that location of map on phone...it caches data and when you dont have network or visit same place again , it uses data from cache to display maps.

for 20K budget , get Android instead.

Nokia is just waste of money these days. you can get much more functional phone in 20K if going for android.

20K ? Galaxy SL is best choice.

OP
S

shelton

if GPS is your priority, get N8. Best maps apps, terrific battery life and superb camera. inside 20k, check Nokia C7.

Well yes navigation and gps are my priority but so is the cost of the phone. N8 is costing 23k on nokia website. I am basically looking for something below 15k. I love android cause of the large number of applications that I get compared to symbian. But the problem is that I have heard that the maps in android cant be used offline. So if that's the case I will go for a nokia phone. So can some one just confirm that the maps can or cant be used offline in android. btw thanx to desiibond for the reply.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Well yes navigation and gps are my priority but so is the cost of the phone. N8 is costing 23k on nokia website. I am basically looking for something below 15k. I love android cause of the large number of applications that I get compared to symbian. But the problem is that I have heard that the maps in android cant be used offline. So if that's the case I will go for a nokia phone. So can some one just confirm that the maps can or cant be used offline in android. btw thanx to desiibond for the reply.

This is the best way to get offline maps on android: *www.mapmyindia.com/gps/products/mobile/mobilemaps/overview_a.html

using maps on android using cache is a headache and I won't recommend that.

two very good features of mapmyindia:

MapmyIndia Sygic mobile maps, once installed, are stored on your phone/SD card. This means that you do not require a GPRS or data connection to get them working. What's more, there are no subscription or recurring charges.

Intuitive design, easy to read as you drive, crystal-clear spoken voice instructions and route guidance. The MapmyIndia Sygic mobile maps combines a fluid easy-to-use interface with MapmyIndia unmatched map coverage in India to make mobile navigation convenient and fun to use.

You can buy state specific map for some 800 bucks or e-download india maps for 2000 bucks.

OP
S

shelton

you can , provided you have visited that location of map on phone...it caches data and when you dont have network or visit same place again , it uses data from cache to display maps.

ok so that is one good option. btw it means that i have to get the device online at least once whereas in the case of a nokia handset with a dedicated gps receiver i will never have to be online and still get my location. Is the statement right?
btw thanx for the reply

This is the best way to get offline maps on android: Sygic GPS Mobile Navigation Maps For Android Mobile Phones

You can buy state specific map for some 800 bucks or e-download india maps for 2000 bucks.

Thats what I feared too :)) . we need to pay a bit extra for the maps on android phones while we get it free on nokia ones.:cry:

Anyways thanx for the reply

Top Bottom