Indian 'Babus' locked their citizen with 'windows'

vaithy

In the zone
India has recently launched "Aadhar' which aim at providing a unique number to all Indians(UID. Originally In its technology statement, Aadhaar, the massive Government of India project that seeks to enrol citizens, puts on record its commitment to using open standard and free of vendor login softwares, so it has the massive budget of US$ 35 billion to start with.The project supposed to link with most of the State Governments in India,found now using Windows only clients softwares,and forcing the other Government departments which are using FOSS related operating system, to abandon their platform and shifted to windows only system,triggering financial 'Tsunami" to swallow the TAX payers money. The chairmen of the Project is a former co-chairmen of Infosys the company which partner with Microsoft,with deathliest efficient to destroy many open source projects within Government of India's many department and agencies"
Link to Original Source

Rahim

Married!
Though this is expected because Tax Payers money does not belong to common public :sarcasm:
Nilekani is just another in the line of oure Capitalist (Power Men) who don;t give a damn about privacy rights of the janata.

This UID is a damning initiative to follow the Big Brother model of US, spying and violation of privacy of masses. I know this project would be labelled as ground-breaking and in public interest as the core objective trumpeted by officials of plugging the holes in the delivery chain of social benefits.

OP
V

vaithy

In the zone
Wine is not for every day's medicine for 'windows' illness .. although the project directors willing to spent billions on 'contracts' for 'windows'.. they treat state Governments which are implementing FOSS projects as secondary citizen..Tamil Nadu Governent Departments which are using FOSS projects may also affected... They are subtly sending the message,'Throw FOSS out of 'windows'

Speaking to The Hindu, Ashok Dalwai, Deputy Director-General, UIDAI, said this is a “Kerala-specific issue.” He confirmed that all enrolment software is “purely for the Windows platform.” “For now, we have asked Kerala to go ahead with laptops with Windows. Our developers will work towards Linux compliance later.”

sakumar79

Technomancer
Wine is not for every day's medicine for 'windows' illness .. although the project directors willing to spent billions on 'contracts' for 'windows'.. they treat state Governments which are implementing FOSS projects as secondary citizen..Tamil Nadu Governent Departments which are using FOSS projects may also affected... They are subtly sending the message,'Throw FOSS out of 'windows'

Wine may not be the final solution, but my question is whether or not it works... If you can spend a little time to get the software working in Linux through, I am thinking the following solution should be possible: Create a wrapper program that installs the software and wine as dependency; the program can check for updates and later when FOSS version is available use the newer version...

Of course, if it doesnt work under Wine, it is a completely different opinion. IMHO, Kerala should stand its ground and say that they are not going to implement the program until a FOSS version is made available - I think they would be well within their rights to do so...

Arun

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
You'd be forgiven for thinking that such a high-profile project would get the basics right. Creating a Windows-only client without considering the ramifications is fecking stupid. Probably the developers are still using the Windows that their dealer chucked into the bargain or from the disks they borrowed from their friends, hence the ignorance(?) regarding the cost of Windows licensing. And for that matter, their failure to realize that some of the govts. have already migrated to OSS is worthy of facepalm. The very least they could have done is to conduct their research properly.

I'll not be surprised if the whole thing goes up in smoke soon after its launch.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Wine may not be the final solution, but my question is whether or not it works... If you can spend a little time to get the software working in Linux through, I am thinking the following solution should be possible: Create a wrapper program that installs the software and wine as dependency; the program can check for updates and later when FOSS version is available use the newer version...
If the project already ignores Linux, and that in fact it has been totally disregarded, I really doubt they will take any effort to hack it and make it work in WINE. WINE needs patches to work too mate.

Once again look at this comment, vaithy pointed out:

Speaking to The Hindu, Ashok Dalwai, Deputy Director-General, UIDAI, said this is a “Kerala-specific issue.” He confirmed that all enrolment software is “purely for the Windows platform.” “For now, we have asked Kerala to go ahead with laptops with Windows. Our developers will work towards Linux compliance later.”

Do you think someone making such cringe worthy comment work for a Linux client or heck even WINE patches? I don't think so.

Of course, if it doesnt work under Wine, it is a completely different opinion. IMHO, Kerala should stand its ground and say that they are not going to implement the program until a FOSS version is made available - I think they would be well within their rights to do so...

Arun
Yeah they should do that. Kerela is progressive state and I expect they'll get it right.

surya

Right off the assembly line
Again pure capitalists want our money to create some thing which is going to tie our hands and legs. I do not think Aadhar will be a success. Government couldn't even distribute ration cards to all its citizen and expect all Indians will come under Aadhar.

Nithu

I'm in 3D Grafix world!!!
I guess, its very difficult to implement this system in Kerala, because everything in Kerala govt. runs on Linux OS. It will be very sad, if they force our govt. to use crap Windows.

Top Bottom