India rejects Edward Snowden's request for political asylum

Flash

Lost in speed
The Indian government has rejected the request for asylum by former US government contractor Edward Snowden, the Ministry of External Affairs said on Tuesday.

Confirming that the Indian embassy in Moscow did recieve an asylum request from Snowden, Ministry of External Affairs spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said: "We don't see any reason to acceed to the request".

Earlier in the day, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that India is not an open house for asylums.

His comments came hours after WikiLeaks claimed that Snowden has applied for political asylum in 20 countries, including India.

He, however, told reporters on the sidelines of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) regional forum meeting in Bandar Seri Begawan that India has given asylums in past, "but we are not an open house for asylums since we have a very careful and objective policy".

The Obama Administration has warned countries not to give asylum to Snowden, arguing that he is wanted in the US on charges of espionage and leaking classified information. According to his leaks, the Indian embassy in the US is among the list of 38 diplomatic missions which were being spied upon by American intelligence agencies.

More on: India rejects Edward Snowden`s request for political asylum

Now, i see why Salman Kurshid said NO. (^ The bolded part)

Hrishi

And I was wondering why nobody in TDF was discussing about Mr.Snowden. :p ,

BTW , what matters the most is : "Warned" instead of "Request."
That really settles the question about why even the Superpowers are having hard time saying no.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If he blows a bomb in India, he could get to stay in Tihar jail free of charge for a really long time.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
PRI(S)M showing the true colours to us...colours in which we reside...colours thoroughly ANALYSED + SYNTHESIZED + ...........................................................................................................................................................................

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
PRI(S)M showing the true colours to us...colours in which we reside...colours thoroughly ANALYSED + SYNTHESIZED + ...........................................................................................................................................................................

+1 This

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
I was seeing "The Bourne Ultimatum", and the way they track Bourne truly depicts, how these surveilance agencies are monitoring us.
Maybe, Sibal should get a post in PRISM or ECHLEON. Why Indians should enjoy all the benefits!!

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I was seeing "The Bourne Ultimatum", and the way they track Bourne truly depicts, how these surveilance agencies are monitoring us.
Maybe, Sibal should get a post in PRISM or ECHLEON. Why Indians should enjoy all the benefits!!

True that man, this surveillance practice is definitely what is showcased in that movie.

On the topic, agreements are done both ways , so I think there is something that the Indian government is getting from USA as a concession , also that India agreed to talks with Taliban , a complete U-Turn from its earlier position, this signals something big might be coming to India, may be Headley? But I dont subscribe to the view that India has been arm-twisted by the USA.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
When it comes to IT, India provides cheap labour and in turn gets big collaborations/investment mostly from US.
They don't wanna lose this chance to China, by accepting Snowden.

Hrishi

When it comes to IT, India provides cheap labour and in turn gets big collaborations/investment mostly from US.
They don't wanna lose this chance to China, by accepting Snowden.

US has already complicated its work visa laws recently alongwith UK and Oz. That depicts a bigger picture for Indian IT firms, doesn't it ??

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Desperate plunge for increase(OPENING) of FDI in Retail,Telecom,...to be followed by Insurance,Banking,......................

Top Bottom