Increasing the FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Hello good fellas ;)
I got a query in my mind which i want to discuss.
Recently, i've got a FX 5500 (128MB) for my computer. I expected a dratic rise in performance of the graphics, but that didnt happen. I was earlier getting abt 15 fps (average)in a particular game(with onboard video, 32 MB) that i play, and now i get arnd 50 fps. There isnt a drastic change, moreover, i've also doubled my system RAM...
I was more worried when my friends who have FX 5200 and MX 440 were getting better frame rates than me (average 60fps) in the same game with same settings.
I've also overclocled my card..=>(original figures in brackets)
Core=300(250) Mhz
RAMDAc=400(366)Mhz {therefore, effective speed=400*2=800 Mhz}

any suggestions as to how the FPS can be improved....certain fine tweaks that may be required..
I tried turning vsync off, but that hampers the whole gameplay...so its useless.
~Any help is appreciated~
The game in reference is UT
SDRAM=512 MB
Proc=P3,1 Ghz
GFX Card=128MB, GeForce FX 5500, 64-bit

ashfame

Padawan
whats the interface of your graphics card, (AGP / PCI).
If its AGP, then there is some serious problem as it can blow off goats but if its pci, then it won't give any more performance due to limited bandwidth of pci bus (133Mbps) which is further shared b/w all pci cards.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Other than the graphics card, do you and your friends have the exact same config? Maybe your RAM is slower or your proccy has less cache or your HDD is 5400 rpm. Any of these things could be a bottleneck to a good gaming experience. BTW 50 fps is pretty good. unless you post your's and yours friends exact config, no one can help you.

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
My RAM speed is 133 Mhz( SDRAM)
My HD is UltraDMA, but i dunno the rpm. \
Do u guys say that 50 fps is enough for this card?

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Ahem......so 50 fps is good enough? Practically speaking, i dont have any problem, but human desire has no ends..:D
I got a problem with the drivers now. I downloaded Forceware 8.4.2.1 drivers and installed them( they were not digitally signed according to Windows. though WHQL certified)
Now, this has disabled my Standby mode option in the shutdown menu (win xp)(thats according to the MS website article) Moreover, the computer often hangs during bootind with a black screen. Any1 else also having the same problem with these v 84.21 drivers?

Thx for all the help(still,i need more) and spending ur valuabale time solvin' my problem :)

PS: Hey, i've got a 200-watt PSU, does that make any difference....I mean, going for a 250 or 300 watt make any difference, coz most cards need 250 watts of Power

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
200 watts is REALLY low. It was just about enough when you bought your PIII but with a new graphics card, it dosen't seem enough. Get atleast a 300 watt PSU if you can. Only problem is most modern PSU's wont have the kind of connectors a PIII based system needs.

Journeyman
A 64-bit AGP card does not give much FPS boost. I had the same expereince when I upgraded from a MX440 64MB RAM card to a FX 5700 LE 128MB RAM (64-bit) card... which is, a very lame card.
You should have gove for a 6200, atleast. I consider the 5000 series obsolete

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
144 said:
A 64-bit AGP card does not give much FPS boost. I had the same expereince when I upgraded from a MX440 64MB RAM card to a FX 5700 LE 128MB RAM (64-bit) card... which is, a very lame card.
You should have gove for a 6200, atleast. I consider the 5000 series obsolete
i have a PCI slot and not an AGP slot...

william

Journeyman
Play on maps with lower max player counts or try different maps. Not all maps have the same requirements. We are currently addressing the varying performance of our maps through updates to both the game, our maps, and our servers.

Lower video detail settings. Besides selecting performance, you may also need to lower full frame effects and shadows. If you want to run at higher resolutions, avoid full frame effects.

Uncheck 44KHz Audio and/or reduce number of speakers. While this won't affect most people, some systems have issues with high rate audio.

Zoom the Spin Map in close ("+/=" key), in some rare cases, this has an effect on frame rate.

Update video card drivers. Both ATI and NVidia are releasing new drivers targeted at DX9 games like JO.

Make sure you've gotten the latest game update. We are doing on going performance tuning of both the maps and the game. We expect the next update to address the memory bandwidth bottleneck some systems are experiencing.

A special note to advanced users with high frame rates. In the case of high frame rates, the game will trade performance for smoothness and crisper mouse control. If you wish to disable these frame rate limits, edit the game.cfg file and turn off lock_framerate and reduce_mouselag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom