Increase laptop speed without hdd replacment

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I have a laptop i3 8Gig ram (samsung rv518).
I found that HDD is becoming serious bottleneck and now irritating. Since it has plenty of RAM, once everything is loaded then things run fine, infact I am so much annoyed that I do not close app once opened because loading form HDD is irritating.

Is there no other option than upgrading to SSD ? I have plan to buy some hybrid tablet, just waiting them to get little more mature, also I have powerful desktop with i7 and SSD + HDD and when I come to lappy from desktop, it annoys even more.

I am not expecting anything fancy, just want hdd loading little faster but don't want to ditch current hdd on lappy, I heard about mSATA .. but not sure if it is supported on this laptop.

Any experience with mSATA .. and where can I buy it?

PS: be assured, on software front, laptop is properly optimized.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Most of the laptops don't come with mSATA port. It looks like this-
*www.storagereview.com/images/Micron-RealSSD-C400-mSATA.jpg
. Though it can also be connected through a 2.5" connector. Cost wise, I don't think it would hit you any less than a regular 2.5" SSD. It's just the form factor.

Frankly, you have got no options left.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Alright, now how do I figure out if I have mSata port or not on my laptop without opening it ?
Is it essentially a PCIe slot ?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
If a laptop features a second drive bay, then most probably it'd be stated as a feature. As already said, hardly any laptop, even the latest ones don't come with it.

Yeah, it is an essentially PCIe slot, AFAIK.

One thing you're missing. 2.5" SSD, or mSATA SSD, either way, you are going to spend the same amount of money. So why not follow the SSD way ? At least it is possible for sure against mSATA thingy.

If a laptop features a second drive bay, then most probably it'd be stated as a feature. As already said, hardly any laptop, even the latest ones don't come with it.

Yeah, it is an essentially PCIe slot, AFAIK.

One thing you're missing. 2.5" SSD, or mSATA SSD, either way, you are going to spend the same amount of money. So why not follow the SSD way ? At least it is possible for sure against mSATA thingy.

I don't agree with you, as my Y500 has mSATA port. Y500 in US has 1TB HDD + 16GB SSD. That's why I had the doubt. When the service guys opened the laptop, I found a free port inside ....... after checking in internet, it was confirmed as mSATA. No where in website it is given.

You can buy mSATA HDD from eBay. Crucial has good SSDs for good price. But I don't think your laptop or any other mid range laptop would have mSATA slot

Aerrow

Journeyman
I don't agree with you, as my Y500 has mSATA port. Y500 in US has 1TB HDD + 16GB SSD. That's why I had the doubt. When the service guys opened the laptop, I found a free port inside ....... after checking in internet, it was confirmed as mSATA. No where in website it is given.

You can buy mSATA HDD from eBay. Crucial has good SSDs for good price. But I don't think your laptop or any other mid range laptop would have mSATA slot

How much would a good 16g one cost?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
You may use a caddy adapter to replace your DVD rw with a SSD.. Though use this only if you are sure ur never gonna use DVDs again

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Your disagreement won't t change the facts. How many laptops you know come with mSATA port ?

Top Bottom