Increase FPS in games with load minimisation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of you maybe gamers without good systems. Have you been worried with the usual FPS woes? Here is a simple tip you can do while playing games, atleast on linux and BSD systems, to make 'em run much better than expected.

The GUI of the OS is one thing that takes lots of memory. The various processes like X, the window manager(s), the side applets, other unwanted(atleast in a gaming context) stuff like a media scan daemon, compiz fusion, update checker, etc use lots of system resources like ram and cpu cycles.

You definitely don't need them while gaming.

So try booting from the commandline mode instead. A simple advice, but it really pumps up the FPS. For example, in ubuntu you can use the recovary mode or the failsafe terminal session.

Each game has its own launch code in linux. copying this from the game launcher and noting it down in a paper is a good idea.

For example, if I install Doom3, and if I type doom3 in the console, I get it started on the system.

This is a rather a n00bish advice, but most people(especially *nix gamers) overlook it, so I thought I may as well post it here and do some good to the world :p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Wait....you "need" to do this in Linux? Gosh...no wonder gaming on linux platform sux. Let me tell all the gamers here about something better in case of Windows Vista

After you have installed the game, drag & drop the exe to Games explorer in Vista. Vista will simply download additional info for that game & to play just run the game from Games Explorer, which will automatically set the priority level to high, disable DWM, Indexing service, & all other unused resources. Just run the game....& Vista will take care of the rest provided either the game as "Games for Windows" Certification or is available in the Games Explorer Database.

Example of Vista games Explorer with many games.

Windows isn't market leader in gaming on PC just like that :D

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Please don't start flaming.This thread is supposed to help others.I really do not post in matters like this but do not cross your limits saying that something is bad.You can say that you don't like that hassle but why say something sux for no apparent reason.
I would like to repeat that please do not flame or else i might say words which will be very harsh to you.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Just shut your hole or whatever you call it gx_saurav, keep your advice to yourself. People who have gamed in Linux know pretty well that they run more faster and better in it than winblow$. And FYI, those online game (professional)servers you think you've played on, run on what? No not winblow$, its Linux. Why? Because they know it why, I don't need to tell here.

I've played the following on Linux.
1) UT 99/2k3/2k4
2) Quake 2/3/4
3) Doom 3
4) CoD 1/2
5) NFS:MW
6) WoW... and many more

And I can pretty sure vouch for the fact that they play far better in Tux than in winblow$.

@Gautham, if you want to quench the last available drop from Tux, the best would be to run a lightweight manager like Fluxbox or even Twm will do. Don't startup GDM or KDM, just start up in cli mode, under init 3 or 2, then startx which will launch X on Twm and then run the game. I got friends hosting servers in UK using the same method.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Please don't start flaming.This thread is supposed to help others

Well, yeah. Gautam gave the tutorial for the method of Linux. I gave the tutorial for the method in Windows. Simple as that.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Its worthless talking to you GX a waste of time and money.

Talk about racists and corrupt humans in real world and now we have it online.

And don't think me a fool quoting ur words cause that would be as foolish as ur flaming.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
you know even after vista being so criticized about its performance there are quite a bit good features too.

those who have been in computers world since win 95/98 can tell that this is exactly what happened with XP when it was released. people said too heavy too costly too much hwd requirement unstable etc as it was when it was released. but it matured with sp2.

i think we should give vista some room to grow too. :)

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
After you have installed the game, drag & drop the exe to Games explorer in Vista. Vista will simply download additional info for that game & to play just run the game from Games Explorer, which will automatically set the priority level to high, disable DWM, Indexing service, & all other unused resources. Just run the game....& Vista will take care of the rest provided either the game as "Games for Windows" Certification or is available in the Games Explorer Database.
Thats superb...i didn't knew vista had such a nice feature. One has to do all this manually in xp.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
So that other members do not think i am crazy i replied olny because he used the word "sux" for something that he should have not.
I have no objection against Vista,Linux or mac but why do people start flaming.

I am sure if everything was open source from the start @gx_saurav would have supported that platform.

After all the biggest quality of linux is that its open source and free.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
After all the biggest quality of linux is that its open source and free.

Don't get me started on features dude....:D

And r you denying the fact that gaming on Linux platform sux compared to Windows...wow, when did Linux overcomed Windows in gaming department.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I'll +1 for that if all those features are given free + DX10 games do not run slow on my Uber Current High end system.

Partymonger

Broken In
Listen Saurav(dx sounds retarded)...
This thread was abt linux gaming, he may not hav said it, but i hope ur not a chimp.:D and u do understand when u read...
Also no harm in posting abt windows feature, BUT, crapping the subject matter of the thread by calling it questionable names is really not the way..
So plz keep ur tone down...Also, if u really want people to know abt windows features plz feel free to post in a new and dedicated thread..
We dont care whether u care or not, but barging in every linux post and spoiling the fun of the linux fanboys wil not be tolerated by most:mad: , if u want to keep ur A$$ safe from the flame wars then keep ur tone down

Any way..How did u play most wanted on linux???
Plz elaborate bro on the technical aspect..can other games be played this way too???

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Any way..How did u play most wanted on linux???
Plz elaborate bro on the technical aspect..can other games be played this way too???
I used Cedega to play NFS:MW on Fedora 7

And here's the database of games supported by Cedega.
*games.cedega.com/gamesdb/

W00t?:shock: They've already added CoD4., must try soon..!!

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
So that other members do not think i am crazy i replied olny because he used the word "sux" for something that he should have not.

thatz called freedom of speech. and saying 'sux' is definitely not flaming not unless u repeat it like a jack rabbit and without reason/explanation.

a lot of people say this sux/that sux cause they dont like/agree with it. it is not called flaming.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Partymonger said:
This thread was abt linux gaming, he may not hav said it, but i hope ur not a chimp.:D and u do understand when u read...

Nope, this isn't a place where I can understand the emotions by looking at the face. This is a neutral place so I wrote it, as simple as that. Writing my tutorial here isn't hurting anyone but u lingeeks.

crapping the subject matter of the thread by calling it questionable names is really not the way..

What where when???? Linux is better then WIndows for gaming???? since when... was I wrong when I said Linux sux in gaming compared to Windows.

I have nothing to say in this type of electronic racism.

Don't make a mess of something normal

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Longhorn really enjoyed the long time to release.

And yeah still the piece was not well sculpted (needs a SP to plug the holes).

What was the deal abt "hey look if u hav got DX10 u can play crysis on highest detail and if u hav got XP then better off with lower detail"...hehehe...BS strategy.

Partymonger

Broken In
Nope, this isn't a place where I can understand the emotions by looking at the face. This is a neutral place so I wrote it, as simple as that. Writing my tutorial here isn't hurting anyone buy u lingeeks.
Yeah u cant look at anyones face but, thats not wat i mentioned in the first place, i was talking abt u not understanding the subject matter of the thread and now making it pretty apparent that u r a C#iMP..;)

What where when???? Linux is better then WIndows for gaming???? since when... was I wrong when I said Linux sux in gaming compared to Windows.
Yeah it seems u were wrong..Check out the links this dude gave...hahaha:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom