In a dillema.....new rig...please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, if you are going for DDR3, 1600MHz is bare minimum you should go for, if you want 4 years time-line! 1333MHz is just barely out of DDR2 territory!

I feel memory isn't that important.

You might as well save bucks going DDR2 and 790GX crossfire instead.
Just get 2x4 = 8GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM and your rig will have enough memory for years to come.

Concentrate on GPU if you intend to game, and on cooling solutions since you will be overclocking that Athlon II X4.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
I feel memory isn't that important.

You might as well save bucks going DDR2 and 790GX crossfire instead.
Just get 2x4 = 8GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM and your rig will have enough memory for years to come.

Concentrate on GPU if you intend to game, and on cooling solutions since you will be overclocking that Athlon II X4.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
He doesn't like Crossfire it seems. :) But, yeah now is the time to buy DDR2 as later rates will go sky high. 8GB DDR2 should suffice for the next 1.5 year.

He doesn't like Crossfire it seems. :) But, yeah now is the time to buy DDR2 as later rates will go sky high. 8GB DDR2 should suffice for the next 1.5 year.
Prices WONT go sky high actually.
Remember DDR1 to DDR2 transition ?
Prices are similar now to what were when the transition occured.
But it was DDR2 whose price dropped alarmingly fast.

So expect DDR3 to go down, like Rs. 700 for 2GB, in another 2 years.

If someone wanted to take advantage of this situation, he should ideally buy a single entry level 2GB DDR3-1333 stick now and upgrade to 4 or 8GB when prices drop.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
FINAL RIG
Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.7k
Biostar TA785GE @ 4.3k
OCZ Titanium 4GB @ 3.5k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.6k
Samsung 22x DVD Writer @ 1.2k
BenQ G2220HD 21.5" @ 8.7k
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 @ 2.7k
Glacial Power 650W @ 4.6k

Now,
-QUERY NO. 1 - If I buy an HD5850 after it releases, will it be compatible with the motherboard I've chosen???
-QUERY NO. 2 - SUGGEST A CABINET FOR HD5850, which is about HD4870 in size, so that they fit without problems.

FOr GFX card and Cabby, I can't spend more than 20k.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Some questions and suggestions reading the above post...so not quoting any one..

1. How is the OP going to procure from Newegg..??
2. Whats so special about the ECS...cause its microATX with lots of features, or is there something else. Asus/MSI/Gigabyte too offer great stuff.
3. OP really is interested to get the best of the RAM. RAM does make a difference to the over all system. Ok..in gaming...it would translate to 2-3 FPS, but the over all system speed is fast. Obviously the DDR3 will channel data quicker vs DDR2.
4. I would not suggest 8GB RAM. I have read on plenty forums that it is difficult to get it stable while OCing. If he does go for 8GB then get only two DIMMs -- 2 x 4 GB each.
5. Go for 1 TB HDD. 500GB fills to quick...!
6. Yea wait for the 5XXX series. If you dont like them..or too expensive..the 4XXX series would have become cheaper. You can go for 4870 x 2 (internal XFire) -- no hassle of physically setting up 2 cards.

Over all I would suggest to the OP, you can procure good stuff in India too. Like Corsair PSU are excellent. Also give Lynx a shot..they are good.

Krow

Crowman
Cabby - CM690 as everyone would suggest. Simply because it comes with 7 fans and is pretty roomy @ 4.5k. Else go for the Antec 300. I have seen both and like them a lot.

That leaves you with 15k for GFX card. Wait for the 5850 and buy later. Till than you can enjoy all games as you will have 640MB onboard DDR2 GFX due to shared VRAM! :)

FINAL RIG
Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.7k
Biostar TA785GE @ 4.3k
OCZ Titanium 4GB @ 3.5k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.6k

Now,
-QUERY NO. 1 - If I buy an HD5850 after it releases, will it be compatible with the motherboard I've chosen???
-QUERY NO. 2 - SUGGEST A CABINET FOR HD5850, which is about HD4870 in size, so that they fit without problems.

1. Why did you choose Biostar TA785GE ? Go FULL ATX dude. It will give enough room for the GPU while ensuring that its heat does not affect other components. I mean, only some specs of the HD5800 cards are out and you never know how it will be till it finally hits the market and by then you would have already purchased the rig. So if I were you I would go the safest possible route.

2. How about changing HDD to 2x 320GB in Raid0 for better performance ?

3. Still no reply as to why no crossfirex.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
FINAL RIG
Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.7k
Biostar TA785GE @ 4.3k
OCZ Titanium 4GB @ 3.5k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.6k

Now,

For GFX card and Cabby, I can't spend more than 20k.

Here is your Motherboard:
*www.xard.ru/post/16652/image.jpg

Yes it should be. It is going to be a PCI.E 2.0 standard. Why you going for micro ATX go for a full blown ATX. The amount you are spending..it worth it. I guess the card will over flow onto the CMOS battery. Though that hardly needs to be changed....!!!!

Get the CM690. Around 4.5K. Anything will fit into that. It is a mid size chassis, with 7 fan expansions...!!!

The RAM you are getting is DDR2 right..??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
FINAL RIG
Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.7k
Biostar TA785GE @ 4.3k
OCZ Titanium 4GB @ 3.5k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.6k

Now,

Why don't you go for ASUS EVO 785G mobo. it's price is at 6.5k now but I would say that it's lot worthy than Biostar one.

Also, instead of MX-518, why not go for normal keyboard and MS xbox 360 controller for windows.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Guys guys....

1. If I spend too much on motherboard and ram, what's the point? I cud hav bought a Phenom II X4 instead?
2. No, I dun need CFx, even one card is hard to come by lol....
3. I need suggestions for MOBOS within 5k...

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
What exactly do u intend to do with this pc that u are building ? You havent mentioned this in any of your posts.

If u wanna OC a lot , then get the 790fx chipset based mobo. If u want good onboard graphics , then 785G is the way to go.

If its for gaming , the x4 620 is a bad choice. x3 720 or x2 550 BE or e7500 will prove to be better. the x3 720 being the best choice in this regard.

If its for rendering , audio / video encoding then x4 620 will be perfect for you.
Posted again:
FINAL RIG
Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.7k
Biostar TA785GE @ 4.3k
OCZ Titanium 4GB @ 3.5k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.6k

Now,

This tells me that u're interested in gaming. Now , unless u do a lot of work in 3ds max / photoshop or applications which benefit very much from quad cores , you do not want to go for the x4 620. Its a mediocre processor at best for gaming.

If you are going to get a graphics card , then best to go for the 790 chipset based mobo. Biostar mobo is cheap but i have no idea about service/support.

Last edited:
OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Man...u r further confusing me..

X4 620 is perfect for FULL HD gaming IMHO check out the review at OverClocker's Club....it manages the same fps as that of Core i7 and Phenom II X4 at FUll HD which is what I want, cuz I intend to play at that settings with an HD5850...

Now, I want to know:-

1. Will HD5850 cause any problems with the Biostar Mobo just cuz it's mATX? I nmoe the CMOS battery will get covered, but like MHGT said, it's rarely replaced...

2. I need a cabinet within 3.5k(lesser if possible) that would fit the HD5850.

Rest is decided. And no, I will do mild OC that's it, say 3GHz or so..

Hurry guys, I plan to order everything except procc + mobo + ram + cabinet today or tomorrow itself......via lynx-india.com

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
hmmm. thats strange..in toms , anandtech , xbitlabs , guru3d .. the results were a bit different. particularly gaming performance.

*www.guru3d.com/article/amd-athlon-ii-x4-620-review-test/14

In BIA , even at full HD which is pretty much a gpu dependent resolution , the x4 620 is 10% below the other processors. The difference is even more pronounced at lower resolutions.

Overclockers club is the only place wherein the x4 620 is performing (in gaming ) just as good as the rest..
All the other reviewers felt x2 550 and x3 720 to be better choices over x4 620 when it comes to gaming.

look at this
*www.legitreviews.com/article/1073/11/

here too , the x4 620 is lagging behind.
Strange indeed.

At overclockers club , they've used a gtx260 . the g-card u are intending to buy is expected to be way faster than the gtx260. Your processor choice becomes more crucial. You dont want ur proccy to bottleneck the gpu.

If i were u , i would pick the x3 720 to be on the safer side.

Have a look at other reviews before you make the decision.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
seriously man.. go full ATX.. or you will cry afterwards.... Graphics card tend to be a problem on Micro ATC boards.. ...
@desiibond.. what is the cost of XBox 360 controller for Windows?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ comp@ddict - the mobo you have choosen supports only DDR2 upto 1200Mhz

That mobo has only PCI and pci-e x16 slot but no x1 slot is is coomon nowdays in every mobo. So if you use cards like HD5850 then one pci slot will become unavailable as it uses dual slot cooler. So the only expansion option you will get is only one pci slot which will be too close to the gfx cards. So if you fill that pci slot with some card then the gpu may overheat.

Also it's has very limited number of expansion option read - usb ports at rear.

So it's better to get a ATX mobo like asus 785G or if you like matx then it should be ecs 785G.

BTW, how come biostar 785G supports old generation AM2 cpu's like athlon x2 series.
As far as I know 785 chipset supports only AM3 cpu's :confused:

*www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/t-series/content.php?S_ID=432

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

@ sagargv - That's becuz at OverClockers Club, all the in-game settings were maxd out....and if i will get an HD5850, that's what I intend to do...

@ desiibond - No i don't want an XBoX360 Controller

@ topgear - I won't be needing the other expansion slots.

Now guys, I talked at length to my father yesterday night and to an uncle who's into computer business, and my father said that if I want to go for the ECS and Crucial, I can go ahead.

ECS 785G @ 6.2k
Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
CAS6 @ 4.8k

After reading about these in the internet, it became clear both are quality components. In fact, I came across a guy's siggy where he was using a Crucial Value DDR3 1066MHz Overclocked to 1800MHz at CAS8.

And also, my DDR1 ram generic and Intel 915 mobo has not caused one problem in the past 4 years...and they are generic entry-level...

Certainly, the ECS mobo and Crucial RAM will be actually much better.

So what say guys???

Athlon II X4 620
ECS 785G
Crucial 4GB DDR3
(A CABINET THAT WILL FIT HD5850 within 3.5k)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
here are the flaws that I found on ECS A785GM-M:

1) mobo looks extremely cramped
2) not all 3rd party coolers can be used properly due to the heatsink next to the CPU (meant for cooling capacitors)
3) I doubt if international warranty is available and also, I doubt RMA quality when compared to that given by Gigabyte or ASUS.

anyday, I would pick these:

*asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QHbvGVB1mXmmD8qQ&templete=2
*www.gigabyte.co.in/Products/Mother...x?ProductID=3156&ProductName=GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

especially Gigabyte one which is Ultra Durable board, supports dolby home theatre, has Dual BIOS and also

look at this list:

*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList...&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

the top two rated boards are ASUS and gigabyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom