IMate SP5M for 11K.... worth buying..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad_den

Padawan
Saw an offer at indiaplaza for an IMate SP5M at a price of 10.8K... inclusive of shipping charges.. My friend is looking for a mobile at 10K, so I though I'd get him this.. I want to know if it is worth the price.. Its actual price is around 18K..!! Offer is for this week only, so I need a fast reply..! :D

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
prasad_den said:
Saw an offer at indiaplaza for an IMate SP5M at a price of 10.8K... inclusive of shipping charges.. My friend is looking for a mobile at 10K, so I though I'd get him this.. I want to know if it is worth the price.. Its actual price is around 18K..!! Offer is for this week only, so I need a fast reply..! :D

What a question!! You can't get a better price..

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
amitava82 said:
^^ I mate has WMP10, it can play video... No FM though..

imate sp5m has every feature that you can ask for except FM. For proof, see this link. All ticks except for FM. *www.wavetelmobiles.com/showmobile.php?id=I-MATE%20SP5m

I myself am tempted to order one. A Wi-Fi phone for under 12k. That itself is amazing. Just close ur eyes and go for it dude..

Last edited:

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
prasad_den said:
Thanks guys for the reply..!! Am booking one right now....!! I guess my friend is lucky...! :D :D

Keep us posted on how it goes.. I'm convincing my dad into buying one. Might take a couple of days.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Nice find dude..

I convinced my dad into buying it. When I was about to place the order on www.indiaplaza.in I just wanted to check in the market how much it is with bill and warranty. I am in chennai. Univercell quoted it at 17,999. Wavetel quoted it at 16,500. I was almost convinced that it is best to place the order online but my dad was not willing to use the credit card. Meanwhile I just randomly checked a few small time mobile players and found that imate SP5m was available at a neighbourhood shop for 11,500. I called them and asked I'm getting the same for 10,600. They said at most 11k is what they can reduce to. Then when I asked for more discount, they reasoned saying there is a 4% VAT and so 10,600+4%VAT = Rs.11,024. So I'm getting the phone for almost the same rate bla bla bla.. Whatever it is, I am going ahead with buying the phone from this shop called HelloWorld for 11k.

Thanks to prasad_den, I'm buying the phone for my own dad when he was eyeing some crappy phones like Nokia E50.

Check helloworld's website out here *snipurl.com/1k5wr

Last edited:
OP
prasad_den

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ Cool...!! I expect you to write a review.. 'coz I'm getting the phone delivered direct to my friend at Trivandrum, so I won't be able to see it.. :(
I still don't know how they are offering it this cheap...!

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
prasad_den said:
^^ Cool...!! I expect you to write a review.. 'coz I'm getting the phone delivered direct to my friend at Trivandrum, so I won't be able to see it.. :(
I still don't know how they are offering it this cheap...!

My dad is also worried about the fact that there is so much difference. He even asked me if the model is stopped. It doesn't seem so, does it. I checked clubimate website also, still support is being offered and is being listed under current models.

OP
prasad_den

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ Yeah.. I saw that... Anyway, indiaplaza also offers similar discounts between 40% and 50% for 3 other models.. One from the l'amour collection of Nokia..!! And as I said earlier, its been reliable at indiaplaza so far, so I guess I just have to trust them in this..!! :D

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
The HelloWorld store called me at least twice before I went to the showroom to ensure that the piece would be arriving at 5:30pm. Again at 5:30 they called up saying it has arrived. I said I'll come by 7pm.

Went there at 7pm. He was still trying to sell the phone to me. I was not interested in knowing anything cos I've researched enough and read enough reviews. I just said open the pack and show everything. Everything was there but for a miniSD card. I thought at least a 64MB MiniSD would be in the package. But it wasn't. Immediately I took the owner's manual and saw the package contents. Yes!! Its true!! No MiniSD Card. The shop owner himself came to my rescue and said a 1GB costs only 800 bucks so you can buy one separately. Ok! No problem. The package contains a fake leather belt pouch. Looks neat. Has a stereo headphones. USB cable. Charger. Battery. Owners manual. Software CD with microsoft hologram. :)

The phone in spite of being more than 100gm, is surprisingly light. Maybe cos I use an N80. But still. The keypad is so soft. I didn't expect that in this phone. Looking at it, it seems hard. But it wasn't.

The shop owner said charge it overnight without inserting the SIM Card. I don't know how that would matter. But still I have put it on charge without the SIM. Can't wait to take the phone for a test ride tomorrow. I told dad he'll get the phone only day after tomorrow. :)

And I forgot to mention the price. It was 11,000INR. Inclusive of 4% VAT.

Now I need to buy two more items.

1. The scratchgard Rs.300/- *snipurl.com/1k8et
2. The miniSD Card Transcend Rs.730/- *snipurl.com/1k8ez

So like for bikes and cars there is an On-Road Price, the ORP of my dad's i-mate SP5m is Rs.12,030/-

Last edited:

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
Imate SP5M is a worthy phone for this rate,welcome to windows group!

HTC Tornado (another name of this phone) has 'Crossbow' upgrade and it's possible to make it A2DP compliant!

I don't want to confuse you with lot of advantages,you may require sometime to familiarize your new 'Windows' mobile.

All the Best!!

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
dhan_shh said:
Imate SP5M is a worthy phone for this rate,welcome to windows group!

Thanks!!

dhan_shh said:
I don't want to confuse you with lot of advantages,you may require sometime to familiarize your new 'Windows' mobile.

All the Best!!

But I am not going to use the phone. At most for the next 24 hours. This phone is for my dad. :(

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
prasad_den said:
^^ Great yaar... Just borrow it from your dad for this weekend, and do us a good review..!!

That's what I am doing. Today fully I will be having the phone with me. Tomorrow is off for dad. So he might just snatch the phone from me. Before that, should meddle with it as far as possible. :) Sure you can find a review from me in the Reviews section by Monday.

*support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13969

I downloaded the trial version of Documents To Go since this phone has only Pocket Outlook but doesn't have a word/excel viewer. The above mentioned URL suggests that it'll ask you whether to install to phone memory or memory card. It did not for me. Then only I realized that I didn't have a memory card installed. After installing Documents To Go, the remaining phone memory dropped to below 4MB and the phone started giving me warnings that memory is almost full. Then I uninstalled it fearing I might have hangs. Waiting for the memory card to arrive. Have ordered it online.

The phone has an eTrust AntiVirus software which updated its definitions as soon as I entered the access point for GPRS.

GPRS seems quite faster on imate than my N80. But still haven't tried connecting the phone to the laptop using USB as a modem. Only then I can judge if it is really faster.

One thing I noticed about this phone is none of the applications close by itself even if you Quit. You need to go to Task manager now and then and stop all programs. My friend says even on his Pocket PC he faces the same problem.

The screen is good. The SMS editor is very good. Good and pleasing fonts.

Basically waiting for the memory card to try out many softwares.

Last edited:
OP
prasad_den

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ regarding closing the programs, thats how it is in all windows mobile phones..!! An intentional design, though I don't understand its purpose or significance..! :(

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
prasad_den said:
^^ regarding closing the programs, thats how it is in all windows mobile phones..!! An intentional design, though I don't understand its purpose or significance..! :(

Have you ordered it on indiaplaza?

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
Can anyone please givme sum details about the IMate SP5M......???
Im planning to buy a gud phone and my budget is 11k max...
I had the k550i in my view till now,,, but after seeing dis thread im interested to know abt the iMate......
please suggest the better phone between the two.....or even any other in the same price range,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom