Imagination Technologies Announces MIPS based “Warrior” CPU

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
*i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Imagination-Technologies-Announces-Next-Gen-MIPS-Warrior-CPU-2.jpg?1372254238

Released in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, the upcoming cores should offer best-in-class performance and efficiency, the company claims, adding that they are poised to change the CPU landscape.

Some of the features that these cores will offer include Hardware virtualization, multi-threading, Imagination's security framework for applications, MIPS SIMD architecture (MSA), and a consistent and comprehensive toolchain across the “Warrior” series.

source | Softpedia

i am least surprised. considering MIPS was already shipping on some Android mobiles (one even made its way into a Karbonn tab), the new gen of processor was expected to show up sometime later this year. for now this should only be the architecture so final shipping SOC may take around a year more from now to show up in devices that you can buy.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
I am waiting for the day when Intel will announce Core I [5/7] architecture to mobiles.... :-D :wink:

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
That would never happen. I don't think x86 has much future in mobile computing. Atom comes close.

hmm but if Intel can rule desktop world it's not impossible for them to rule the mobile world.. They are just not concentrating IMO..

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
hmm but if Intel can rule desktop world it's not impossible for them to rule the mobile world.. They are just not concentrating IMO..

x86 consumes too much power as compared to ARM. Modern ARM processors are almost as capable as CISC machines yet consumes lesser power therefore more ideal for mobile architectures.

Edit : In order to hit the mobile market, Intel will have to turn to ARM or do some serious research to improve their x86 architecture. But ARM has a huge share in the market and breaking into it is hard. No idea how much support Lava Xolo is having at the moment.

quagmire

Allllright !
^Aren't Clover Trail and Bay Trail doing a great in both performance and battery department?
Offtopic: Mysterious device running Intel's Bay Trail crushes the competition in AnTuTu - GSMArena Blog

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^Aren't Clover Trail and Bay Trail doing a great in both performance and battery department?
Offtopic: Mysterious device running Intel's Bay Trail crushes the competition in AnTuTu - GSMArena Blog

Bay-trail is right now the biggest threat to ARM and MIPS in the mobile division. Its architecture has been praised by a lot of reviewers and the performance has been showing the same in leaks, that has been appearing over the course.

Top Bottom