IISC Bangalore does not have enough bandwidth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

techbirbal

Broken In
IISC Bangalore does not have enough bandwidth, talk about infrastructure at india's leading institutions...

This means that an institution of the caliber of IISC bangalore cannot afford bandwidth for promising students, Talk about the latest High Tech curriculum they are supposed to offer.

I really doubt the IIT's and IISC for their credibility.

*www.techbirbal.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1336

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
techbirbal said:
IISC Bangalore does not have enough bandwidth, talk about infrastructure at india's leading institutions...

This means that an institution of the caliber of IISC bangalore cannot afford bandwidth for promising students, Talk about the latest High Tech curriculum they are supposed to offer.

What are you talking ??? did you personally test the IISC servers. if you are saying that IISC doesnt have enough BW .. then exactly how much bandwidth does it have? 64..256..512 KBps?? more than that?? can you prove it ?

Also are you sure that the website you pointed out is located in IISC bangalore server??? There is a good chance that the website is located outside bangalore.

I think this very Digit forum is located in the US.. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

DISCLAIMER:
The GATE 2008 committee cannot be held responsible for reduced access speeds due to bandwidth overloads especially close to the submission date.

Ever heard of denial of service ? Any website can be taken down by using DoSS attack. no matter what bandwidth it has.

Take VTU website for example. Its a PITA when the results are out. even with a high speed connection one cannot get the results page we are talking about thousands of hits every second.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Partially Off Topic:

Do you know? .... every day i commute across IISC.... if observe properly at ur cellphone's signal level it will be too low.

And even my GPRS speed will be damn slow.....

I dont know why..

Few say... they use some kind of JAMMERS

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i think the notice is to be on the safe side ... otherwise every1 will blame them even if their net is slow ... pretty much like all businesses have * they also have this

i think its only a general disclaimer so that tomorow no 1 blames them if a student has slow conx problems ;)

OP
T

techbirbal

Broken In
Guys we are talking IISC and IIT's here, the GATE exam is a prestigious exam to get admisson to the MTech course in IIT's and IISC.

So imagine the infrastructure IIT's keep shouting about, and the amount of grant they get from the tax payers money and this is what students get back.

DDOS is fine, it does happen but here we are talking about the country Premier Tech University that supposedly churns out brilliant engineers for the whole world...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
some clarifications: old members here will remember pradeep chauhan.. he was the army guy who was pursuing his MS there. i was a frequent visitor to IISC. they haf SUN computers which run solaris and virtualisation software. they run windows on it for testing. IISC has dedicated 8mbps line. believe me, most of the linux distros came from there!!! plz go there.. see it.. experience it and then make comments....

Intel_Gigacore said:
Partially Off Topic:

Do you know? .... every day i commute across IISC.... if observe properly at ur cellphone's signal level it will be too low.

And even my GPRS speed will be damn slow.....

I dont know why..

Few say... they use some kind of JAMMERS
yes, it is coz of jammers. you kno what happended last year at the j.r.d tata audi, opposite to iisc.

Nav11aug

In the zone
techbirbal said:

wht nonsense.. im at IIT KGP ... mayb we dnt get 1 MBps net speeds but we do hav our Gigabit LAN and 'fast' net speeds.

The total bandwidth bought by the instiute is about 64 MBps is shared among some 8000 students + faculty .

At our hostels ,we do get speeds of around 200 KBps but in the departments and labs its much much faster ,about 800 lezz say

*www.speedtest.net/result/181273019.png

look at this

Last edited:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
techbirbal said:
So imagine the infrastructure IIT's keep shouting about, and the amount of grant they get from the tax payers money and this is what students get back.
You cant classify an institute as good or bad from the kind of internet access it has.

Seriously what purpose will a 400mbps link solve for IISc if the only peak traffic they get is during GATE form submissions (just for an example)??

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ exactly, GNURag.

and that 8mbps was 2 years ago. remember what was the state of commercial broadband that time and what it is today (2mbps, iptv and what not) so obviously, they've upgraded. i dunno the exact details as of now but it surely is NOT as posted.

@pathiks
no yaar, i jus completed my BE this year in may. i had a fren there (who was a senior memeber here, pradeepchauhan) who was pursuing his MS there.

btw, i must tell you that at the center for AI, they haf a 72inch LCD tv just to display the banner "welcome to center for AI"!!! beat that now!! :D :D

OP
T

techbirbal

Broken In
AAh they have 8MBps, so what are they using all the bandwidth for ????

Does it justify this

DISCLAIMER:
The GATE 2008 committee cannot be held responsible for reduced access speeds due to bandwidth overloads especially close to the submission date.

Remeber, with great power comes great responsibility and with great brandwidth comes great usability....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
techbirbal said:

Does it justify this

DISCLAIMER:

Remeber, with great power comes great responsibility and with great brandwidth comes great usability....
they used to haf 8mbps dedicated to dept. its upgraded now. but all the bandwidth can't be allowed for the gate exam related pages. think over it. even if you haf the fastest connection, there's a theoretical limit to the number of connections.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@ IR DUDE, well it was happening before that incident too. :( but only near CV RAMAN AVENUE circle, but now its surrounded from that gymkana ground to sadhashivnagar police station. but they have installed some more jammers.

i think so

Last edited:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
techbirbal said:

Does it justify this

DISCLAIMER:
I think it makes sense to include that disclaimer at appropriate places, than to wait for someone to sue IISc just because they werent able to fill gate forms.

FYI: IISc is one of the organisations in india that participates in Coral Cache (PlanetLab - CoDeeN) network. And running a planetlab node means a lot of bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom