IGP overclocking

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
guys i have oced my HD4250 integrated graphics from 550mhz to 820mhz. oced my cpu to 3.2 from 2.9 also(not more due to lack of good paste and cooler). after 810mhz the game(black ops) hangs.

i gamed on black ops at 1366x768 at 16x AA on High Texture Setting with Shadows and Bullet Impacts ON. The game was running with Full Screen OFF.

here are the temps -

initial(after 5min of startup) -

*img15.imageshack.us/img15/5306/idletemp.jpg

COD Black Ops -

*img715.imageshack.us/img715/3949/aftergame.jpg

my querries -

1. are the temps ok?
2. till i get a gfx card(take some time) can i get a northbridge cooler if available?
3. or shall i get a ARCTIC COOLING MX-2? will it work for both cpu and NB?
4. will a driver update allow upto 850mhz without game hangs.?

my system -

AMD Athlon II x4 635 @ 3.2ghz(oced from 2.9)
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
G.Skill 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
WD 500GB Green
FSP Saga II 400W
CM Elite 430
DELL ST2220L

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
hi jas buddy
pardon me if i am wrong

but i think overclocking IGP is total waste of time
because it rarely does increase gameplay quality at all
since HD4250 is a seriously low end GPU, there's just no point in OC'ing it
though there may be some theoretical improvements

Coming to the cpu
your CPU is fabulously overpowered fro your current GPU(igp)
so you may not see any improvement in gaming
save for some CPU intensive applications like winrar

your temps are quite good(its winter/OC'ing season :D)
i would suggest you continue your OC'ing ventures for about 3-4 weeks(or till winter wears of) just for the sake of experimentation and experience gaining only
so that you can apply the experience when you get your Discrete GPU:)
but i wouldn't expect any significant improvements in gaming now :)

cheers buddy

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ jaskanwar

Buddy your temps are fine. Don't remove the northbridge heatsink. You can get artic cooling mx2 but use it in cpu. Don't stress the igp at higher clock frequencies. Game after you get your discrete card. Btw nice mid range cards from amd are on their way.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Actually saurav u are wrong. This igp was only unable to play black ops before. I mean at very low settings and low res. But now see the settings i play. Highest possible.
Actually ocing the gpu is much more beneficial in games.

Gaurav i will post em in evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
thanks sammy vicky gaurav and saurav.
sammy ok i will lower the settings. but shall i mention the frames rates i get in each setting?
vicky ok i wont stress it too much now.

buddies no matter i reduce the 16 to 4 to 2 to OFF AA and Texture from High to Normal the fps remain b/w 8-14. why so? i used fraps. but i get a smooth gameplay also. some explanantion please.

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Actually saurav u are wrong. This igp was only unable to play black ops before. I mean at very low settings and low res. But now see the settings i play. Highest possible.
Actually ocing the gpu is much more beneficial in games.

Hmm
i am genuinely surprised:-o
i surely didn't expect the HD4250 to run COD black ops at highest settings
all the while delivering playable framerates!!
this comes as a surprise to me

i was under the impression overclocking the GPU doesn't produce more than 5-10% difference in frames

Jas can you record the maximum and minimum FPS using some app?
what resolution are you playing at?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
What are the temperatures when a game is running. You running those test with full screen on or off..? Weird that no change in FPS even with AA changed.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
asingh the temps are mentioned in second HW screenie. i too was surprised on no change iin fps. full screen is off. playing full screen lowers the fps. so 1366x768 without full screen.

saurav actually its gpu oc makes significant difference in games. i have mentiooned fps in previous post.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
try lowering the overclock slightly. I have got a similar PC and I can't overclock the CPU beyond 3.1 GHz as it causes the PC to hang. Also the IGP overclock is also too much. When i overclocked my 6850 to Core-850MHz and Memory-1200MHz I thought it was stable but when I tried Serious Sam HD, the display moved sideways every few seconds(Assassin's Creed Worked fine). Lowering the overclock worked for me. Try lowering 25MHz for IGP and 1MHz for FSB.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
still try lowering the settings to see if the situation changes as the same fps at multiple settings might be due to a proccessor or IGP OC problem.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
You getting smooth game play cause of non full screen. Also AA is not applied fully using non-full screen for many games.

Any ways..enjoy it.
:)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
try lowering the overclock slightly. I have got a similar PC and I can't overclock the CPU beyond 3.1 GHz as it causes the PC to hang.

Athlon II X4 (all) reaches 3.5Ghz. i OC'd to 3Ghz at lowered vcore & PC was stable but reverted back to stock speed.

Yup it is. Believe me buddy. I was myself surprised.

WHAT? 8-14FPS & smooth? has the meaning of smooth gameplay changed? i got that FPS on my last PC playing FEAR Origin.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Jaskanwar - have you used bios or ccc to oc the igp ?
I think you have reached the sweet spot of your igp and it won't go above 810 MHz.

NB coolers are very difficult to find and I think it's better to get a cpu cooler like Hyper TX3 @ ~1.2k instead of getting TIM.

BTW, even I'm wondering how come 8-14 fps can be considered as smooth gameplay - any game at that fps with lag like a snail.

try lowering the overclock slightly. I have got a similar PC and I can't overclock the CPU beyond 3.1 GHz as it causes the PC to hang. Also the IGP overclock is also too much. When i overclocked my 6850 to Core-850MHz and Memory-1200MHz I thought it was stable but when I tried Serious Sam HD, the display moved sideways every few seconds(Assassin's Creed Worked fine). Lowering the overclock worked for me. Try lowering 25MHz for IGP and 1MHz for FSB.

I think you are using stock HSF and vcore for the CPU and that's why you are not able to go beyond 3.1 - get a aftermarket cpu cooler and try increasing vcore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom