if its illegal, then.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikachu

Broken In
i heard that changing of mobile phone IMEI is illegal in India

what part/section of Indian law prohibit this and what are the punishment (if any)

thanks

din

Tribal Boy
I think if there is no IMEI / invalid IMEI, then there are agencies (approved) to provide that. Nothing illegal in that, its a Govt measure. But no idea on changing a valid IMEI number.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I think if there is no IMEI / invalid IMEI, then there are agencies (approved) to provide that. Nothing illegal in that, its a Govt measure. But no idea on changing a valid IMEI number.
Nope, there is no such agency "approved" by govt.
If its still operational, report to police...

When TRAI mandate came in Decmber, a lot of people started implementing IMEI no. in their phones.
Now Govt. has made that operation illegal from Jan-2010.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
See this case is just like making copies of windows Operating system,we all use it some point of the time and its illegal but we dont get caught.
If people change the IMEI no of their mobile phone there is no way of knowing it.But essentially its illegal.
Lots of mobiles get stolen or lost and people change the IMEI no to avoid getting detected from the Service provider and police.

Flake

Linux User
There are 3 agencies in Chandigarh that provide IMEI no. to Chinese sets. All are authorized agencies and have access to IMEI server and software approved by TRAI.They charge 190/- for each set. Nothing is illegal in it.

I don't know about changing a valid IMEI though.

din

Tribal Boy
Aah sorry, didn't know about the cut-off date. So the information I posted is not true, I mean it was legal but not any more. Sorry about it and thanks rhitwick for pointing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom