IE homepage set to MSN.com, not able to reset to blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

rswain

Right off the assembly line
My IE homepage had been reset to msn.com. I get the URL *www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome everytime I start IE. I can't reset it to blank through the Internet Options. I have even tried editing the registry but the registry entry is protected. An online search gave info that it might have been caused by the Immunisation done by Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4. I have undone the immunisation (no use) and even uninstalled it.

I am using Windows XP with SP2. Just got a new hard disk and did a fresh install yesternight. I regularly format my C drive once in a few months and reinstall Windows. Never had this problem earlier.

I am quite sure editing the registry will solve the problem but the entry is protected. Can somebody suggest a solution?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
This may Help... :)

*support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320159

I am quite sure editing the registry will solve the problem but the entry is protected. Can somebody suggest a solution?

whats the error messege when u run regedit??

if its like "egedit has be disable by administrator"

then do this...

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Prevent access to registry editing tools -> Right Click Properties -> Disabled

hope this gives u access to RegEdit... ohh by the way u must be a Admin user... :)

Last edited:

anandk

Distinguished Member
download xpy 0.9.7 from *xpy.whyeye.org/ and use it to set homepage as about:blank.

OP
R

rswain

Right off the assembly line
Thanks, friends. Actually I did manage to edit the registry subsequently by going into the safe mode as administrator. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main and changed the values of Local Page and Start Page to C:\WINDOWS\System\blank.htm, as suggested in another site.) It has not worked. Now my registry entry is changed but IE automatically goes to msn.com.

I have also scanned my system with AdAware and A Squared, with the latest updates. Nothing significant.

I could format my C drive and reinstall Windows but would like to know what the cause is so that I can take steps to prevent it from happening again.

--------------------Next post---------------------

Xpy didn't do the job either. It says homepage set to blank but msn.com still comes on.

--------------------Next post---------------------

I finally managed it with a mix of reinstalling Windows but opting for the repair of the existing installation and not a fresh install (NOT the repair console but a few steps after that) and then using a combination of registry unlock and lock scripts outlined here:

*www.winguides.com/forums/showflat....44491&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&part=all&vc=1

The home page lock and unlock registry scripts are available on #63 here:

*www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Browsed zillions of webpages over the past few hours and enormously increased my knowledge base, thanks to Microsoft and Windows and IE. I have been thinking of switching to Opera for some time now and this is a good reason to.

I think it was Spybot that did it so would advise folks to set their homepages to what they want before they install Spybot and immunize their systems after a clean install of Windows.

IE is as much a malware as many unwanted programs branded so, IMO.

Last edited:

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
it seems difficult to give anymore suggestions after all thr R&D u have done.

i would suggest u to change to opera or firefox.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
<Original comment removed>
<Sorry, the previous comment was out of place>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom