I want to try firefox but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Hi all ,

For the second time all this 'go Firefox' advertising has lured me to give it a try, last time when i tried Firefox the experience was horrible , most websites were rendering incorrectly. But now i know by the feedback of other ppl that the browser has become very promising and rock solid. I will also try out the new version of opera but that is something i'll do later :p .

So i downloaded Firefox 2 the day it got released , tried it for some time , but as i am a regular Maxthon user its difficult for me just to get habitual to the new browser. I want to use Firefox but there are some things i wish Firefox had for a easy switch.

I know that Firefox has wide range of plugins/extensions that will solve my problems, but i just don't know which ones to use.As many regular Firefox users here are using many good plugins from long time , I consider it will be best to ask my queries here :p

So, I need the following things in Firefox, tell me what plugins/extensions/settings (if any) will do the job for me. I have not digged much into Firefox options so definitely i have missed many simple settings :D

here goes.....

1. How to enable the font smoothing in Firefox? Text looks perfect and smooth in IE/Maxthon but in Firefox it looks ugly ! Font smoothing is default enabled in windows. See the screenshots below and notice the difference(some may not notice the difference because of image compression).

Firefox
*img432.imageshack.us/img432/305/fftextxs2.jpg

Maxthon
*img458.imageshack.us/img458/3608/maxthontextyc5.jpg

2. How can i add the shortcuts to my favorite utilities in Firefox toolbar has i have in Maxthon here. This is very essential feature to me. See the yahoo,msn,dap, etc shortcuts i have added in Maxthon in the image below.

Maxthon
*img455.imageshack.us/img455/3734/maxthontoobarws8.jpg

3. Some pages block the right click feature of mouse, ie. the right click gets disabled in some pages. I have a plugin in Maxthon which enables the right click in such pages. I hope such plugin for Firefox exists.

4. How to get the easy download control options in Firefox. Blocking or enabling Flash/pictures/sounds/Java/etc in one click is my favorite feature in Maxthon. How to have this in Firefox? Maxthon has very easy check/uncheck access.

Maxthon
*img381.imageshack.us/img381/3295/maxthondownloadcontroltp0.jpg

5. Maxthon comes with a very impressive ad blocker, suggest me your favorite ad block for Firefox.

Maxthon
*img374.imageshack.us/img374/5109/maxthonadblockdb1.jpg

6. I have a habit of saving web pages in .mht format, how can i do that in Firefox.

7. Is there any 'zoom page' (not increase text size) option in Firefox? How to get it. IE/Maxthon have this option , and it's very useful.

These are the few of the many things I want in Firefox, I will add more queries as i face any problem in Firefox. I have absolutely no problems with Maxthon, just wanted to try out the new browsers FF2 and Opera to see which one really suits. If the above listed things are available in Firefox it will be easy for me to get started with it .

kinjo

Right off the assembly line
for blocking adds you can use adblock or adblock plus...
for removing pictures etc... try using nuke anything enhanced...
u can also try the following extensions i find them very useful

DownThemAll (download manager)
googlepedia(shows wikipedia entry for the google search)
greasemonkey(ps u can get scripts from userscripts.org)
Gutil(for google utilites)
ietab(in case u need to check up on dataone website)
informenter(helpful when u want to signup for fourms )
image zoom
linkalert
mousegestures
stumbleupon
online bookmark manager synchronizer
hidebad

browse the the addon page for more extensions....dont be afraid to exprement

DownThemAll (download manager)
googlepedia(shows wikipedia entry for the google search)
greasemonkey(ps u can get scripts from userscripts.org)
Gutil(for google utilites)
ietab(in case u need to check up on dataone website)
informenter(helpful when u want to signup for fourms )
image zoom
linkalert
mousegestures
stumbleupon
online bookmark manager synchronizer
hidebad
also u can add search engines to firefox2 and uninstall them very easily...
browse the the addon page for more extensions....

Last edited:

CINTEL ENTRINO

Loading . . . please d'nt
dont b afraid m8 !!!

as they say...try try till u succeed
:) :D

join the open source movment . lets create a revolution

i will give more tips l8er . :)

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^^
Thx mate , but i need a reason to use firefox, i wont use any software just because everyone else is using it. If firefox is able to do the above listed things for me then i am going to use it with maxthon to compare which one is better for me :)

anandk

Distinguished Member
i tried em all, then settled down on maxthon.

i suggest u also try firefox (and any other) and then settle down what suits u best.

u must'v seen a lot of "xxx browser rulz or rockz" but personal preferences dictate browser choice :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
For query 2 just drag the tab in which you have the site open to the toolbar
3. does that right click protection work on opera and firefox? From what I remember, it doesn't. If it does give me some link to it.
5. adblock
6. *addons.mozilla.org/firefox/212/
You can try these. Since, I am not such an avid user of firefox I am not so familiar with these add-ons. But, if you prefer one browser it's difficult to move to other. I don't enjoy working on firefox either, I am too used to opera.

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
thx tech_your_future for the .mht plugin but it doesnt work with FF 2.0

The query 2 is about placing shortcuts to the applications like yahoo messenger, msn messenger into the tool bar, i don't get what u were trying to explain.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hehehe Tarey .. I am sure you'll come back to Maxthon .. :p .. FF2 aint worth it .. If you wanna beta test, better try Max2 ...

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
lol , batty i know . Maxthon is my first choice , but i want to try other browsers too , to see how good they really are for me :D. I already tried maxthon 2 beta and i am eagerly waiting for the full release. I hope ff is as useful as maxthon is for me.

eddie

El mooooo
1) Firefox doesn't come with its own font rendering engine. It uses the one used by Windows. You should use "ClearType Tuner" PowerToy to configure ClearType in better way.
*www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

2) External Apps Buttons
*www.ironspider.ca/browsers/extfirefox.htm#externalapps

3) Firefox has this functionality built-in.
Go to Tools --> Options
Content --> JavaScript --> Advanced --> Uncheck the box that says "Disable or replace context menus".

4) Zap Plugins
*www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

5) AdBlock Plus with filterset.g auto-updater

6) Mehul already gave you the answer and if you would have read the link, there was a work around to get the extension working with 2.0. Usually all extensions work with future versions but the problem occurs with just the version string they have. If you don't want to edit the extension manually, you can install "MR Tech Local Install" extension and over-ride the version compatibility. This extension is known to work with 2.0

7) There is no such functionality available "yet". Gecko engine 1.8 does not support "Page Zoom" feature but it is being developed in Gecko 1.9. You will see it in Firefox 3.0. Until then you can use PageZoom and ImageZoom that will not provide you exact functionality but should suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom