I want to secure my Laptop from Internal Threats

Daniel Adam

Broken In
Hello digitians

can anyone help me secure my connection in internal network. i'm using internet in my laptop using wi-fi connection. but im not sure that the connection is secure. could you please suggest me a software which can protect me from lan hacking. i see some guys trying to access my content. i want a secure connection between my laptop and the router.

i dont know how to use firewall for this process.it will be better if u guys suggest me a good software.

thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
firewall is the software used for such situation.file/printer sharing is disabled by default in network type as "Public".in windows 7(& something similar in 8) go to network & sharing center & click on home network(if it is so) under "view your active networks" & change type to public.

OP
D

Daniel Adam

Broken In
firewall is the software used for such situation.file/printer sharing is disabled by default in network type as "Public".in windows 7(& something similar in 8) go to network & sharing center & click on home network(if it is so) under "view your active networks" & change type to public.

What more softwares i can use to secure my connection. i want one to one connection with my router. no third party hacking in between. my cousin use some software like wireshark to catch the packets. and he used some encoders to encrypt my password. i was amazed by his hacking skills. can u help me to secure the connection between my laptop and router. plz help
thanks

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
Hello digitians

can anyone help me secure my connection in internal network. i'm using internet in my laptop using wi-fi connection. but im not sure that the connection is secure. could you please suggest me a software which can protect me from lan hacking. i see some guys trying to access my content. i want a secure connection between my laptop and the router.

i dont know how to use firewall for this process.it will be better if u guys suggest me a good software.

thanks

Do you have access to your wi-fi Router ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you use WPA2 encryption in your router with WPS turned off & use a password with at least 10 characters upper & lower case alpha-numeric combination(like aBc23......) then even if someone capture your wifi packets & try to decrypt them to retrieve router password it will be of no use.

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
if you use WPA2 encryption in your router with WPS turned off & use a password with at least 10 characters upper & lower case alpha-numeric combination(like aBc23......) then even if someone capture your wifi packets & try to decrypt them to retrieve router password it will be of no use.

Of course, being a techie you also know it is not a piece of cake to decrypt the password when you enabled WPA or WPA2 with pre-shared key and the reason why i asked for Router access is that on some wireless routers we can add some access rules, mac-adress filtering etc for some known ip's

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
actually WPA & WPA2 password with WPS enabled can now be broken with ease compared to WPA2 with WPS turned off.similarly bypassing mac address/IP address filtering with these conditions is also easy.

OP
D

Daniel Adam

Broken In
ok i have secured the router. but now my question is how to prevent my laptop from being hacked by neighboring ip in the same lan. plz refer to the pic for clear understanding of my question. i want to secure my laptop in lan.View attachment 11489

plz see the pic. im the user A using the router wireless. but how about internal threat from User B who knows the router password.i want to secure my Laptop from internal threat. viz (sites visited, passswords and all the content).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
from protecting against a local user who knows the router password & wifi password only way is to install a firewall like comodo & set the connected wifi network type as public.you can go to comodo forums & post your query to get better & detailed answers.

ratul

█████████████████

heard about airomon, airodump, reaver, wash??
reaver is known to decrypt the WPA2 encryption with WPS turned off without any dictionary list, though it takes a long time (4-10hrs as described in it's manual) depending on password strength, but it's known to work..

ok i have secured the router. but now my question is how to prevent my laptop from being hacked by neighboring ip in the same lan. plz refer to the pic for clear understanding of my question. i want to secure my laptop in lan.View attachment 11489

plz see the pic. im the user A using the router wireless. but how about internal threat from User B who knows the router password.i want to secure my Laptop from internal threat. viz (sites visited, passswords and all the content).

install a good antivirus and firewall, keep your windows updated and you'd be good against an amateur wannabe who'd try to "look" into your laptop..
also use https whenever available to prevent any active eavesdropping..

trust me, it won't be easy for anyone to hack into your laptop if you follow these steps...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
reaver is known to decrypt the WPA2 encryption with WPS turned off
^^looks like you didn't read about reaver thoroughly.cracking WPA2 password(8 alphanumeric characters or more) is near impossible using brute force attack & reaver does this by relying on WPS.on some routers(more specifically linksys) WPS can not be disabled even manually & this is where reaver comes into effect.on those routers where WPS can be really turned off it is impossible to crack long WPA2 password(10 characters or more alphanumeric with special character).

Top Bottom