I want to make a secondary PC with only 1 aim (Least Power Usage)

Ironman

In the zone
I want to build a PC
which uses the least amount of electricty
i want to run it 24X7

It will primarily be a Download & Browsing Machine

Please suggest the Specs.
Lesser the Price the Better!

Keep in Mind : Least Electricity :razz:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I want to build a PC
which uses the least amount of electricty
i want to run it 24X7

It will primarily be a Download & Browsing Machine

Please suggest the Specs.
Lesser the Price the Better!

Keep in Mind : Least Electricity :razz:

Get a laptop instead, it will be more power-efficient.

OP
Ironman

Ironman

In the zone
Get a laptop instead, it will be more power-efficient.

But wont Running it 24X7 will ruin it within 2 to 3 years ?
and
laptops dont have expandable internal storage
i use now 3 tb
it costs more than its desktop counterparts

even if i want to buy a laptop , do you have a laptop in mind
which is also low priced ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Get a cheap Lenovo Thinkad, those thingies are durable as hell. I have a Lenovo R61 which is nearly 6-7 years old. It's my downloading rig. I download games and stuff on it 24/7 with free BSNL 3G FUP modem stick. It's true, max you can get is 1 TB HDD in a laptop but WD ext HDDs work pretty well.

Lenovo B490 or something.....I think that's cheap.

OP
Ironman

Ironman

In the zone
Get a cheap Lenovo Thinkad, those thingies are durable as hell. I have a Lenovo R61 which is nearly 6-7 years old. It's my downloading rig. I download games and stuff on it 24/7 with free BSNL 3G FUP modem stick. It's true, max you can get is 1 TB HDD in a laptop but WD ext HDDs work pretty well.

Lenovo B490 or something.....I think that's cheap.

Ok i will look into that ,
how much electricity it takes up ?

OP
Ironman

Ironman

In the zone
how about Raspberry Pi kinda setup?

An atom based system is best for these kinds of tasks

Will You guys Please elaborately Tell me some Specs Based on your Advice

Raspberry Pie & Atom is good i think
What else do i need with Raspberry (i have no Practical experience with R Pie)? to make it work like a desktop (but low powered).

And How much electricity does an atom processor uses Relatively
in comparison to my i7?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i always prefer a full windows system(not possible with pi) as it allows flexibility in installing different torrent clients & download managers.as for electricity savings using an intel atom pc 24*7(excluding monitor usage) for entire month will cost less than a medium size dominos pizza.

OP
Ironman

Ironman

In the zone
i always prefer a full windows system(not possible with pi) as it allows flexibility in installing different torrent clients & download managers.as for electricity savings using an intel atom pc 24*7(excluding monitor usage) for entire month will cost less than a medium size dominos pizza.

I agree with windows system !
User friendly

Can you give me a full Specs List
Motherboard
Processor- Atom
Ram
etc

I generally turn off the monitor after i start a download.
so

How much a Monitor Consumes electricity ?

+1 to above and you can always buy a bulk Hard Disk Dock for attaching it externally or create a NAS station .

NAS - I know what it is , but i have no idea how to set it up .
any advice where should i start ?

Just remove the monitor once you set it up. :lol:
Yup Will Do

Is there any thing else on which i can run windows but will consume less power than atom ? or atom is the least

An Atom is what you need .. lower than that i impossible till you are willing to buy a P2 or P3 (second hand obviously) .. for NAS you can go through some guides on internet for FREE NAS but its a large scale sort of solution and doing now would be IMO waste of money .. till then get some hard disk and a BULK docking station .. it would suffice .

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
intel atom comes in mobo+processor combo(processor is soldered to mobo) commonly called as intel atom kit.deltapage site lists dual core intel atom D2500 kit for 4700.add 2 gb laptop ddr3 ram(not regular ram) for ~1500,a hdd & any cheap psu.old crt monitor consumes lots of energy(17" monitor uses ~75-85w) but lcd monitor consumes much less(cheap 19" uses ~25-30w).

Top Bottom